• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Phil

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CBC guys have never bought into the rebuild narrative with the Rangers. They are too fixated on the history of the Rangers as impatient big spenders. McKenzie doesn't know anything about Gorton's intended game plan that we don't.

And they’ve been linked to panarin and ek for almost a year before they hit ufa. This is a big summer for this franchise. Is it diferent this time or more of the same that leads to nowhere? This is not the summer to buy big ticket ufas. That’s guys aren’t the last big ufas to ever come around. Cap space is so crucial for this team once they get a strong nucleus of elcs in the lineup and producing. Maybe the following summer probably a year after that. Patience is key. Hopefully Gorton has more than most here.

I mean, he's gone exactly one offseason without being one, so they're not exactly wrong for thinking that. And that same summer (last), the team was linked to Kovalchuk.

Linked by... Bob McKenzie and his pals. There was no evidence that Gorton was interested in Kovalchuk last summer or put in a bid.

Also panarin is a fantastic player. However he?s on a very solid team right now with a shit Ton more talent then the rangers will have next year or maybe even two years from now. What has that gotten Columbus? They traded away their future to try and grab an 8 seed? Why will him coming here make such a big difference that he has never proven to give his prior teams? It?s not a knock on him necessarily but without a good team around him he?s not going to move the needle that much. Connor McDavid can?t do it why will panarin?

I?m not giving a max contract to a winger almost ever. Ovi years ago maybe Kucherov now that?s it. Gorton should pass. Smart gms would pass. Well run serious franchises would pass. Panarin as a max player is as bad as it gets

To be honest there is no "Henrik-window". This team requires such a massive roster turnaround to be an actual contender that it seems incredibly unlikely that they will contend for the Stanley Cup in the next 2 years. With or without Panarin.

I would say that if they're going for Panarin it would have to be for the long term, with a view to contending within 3-5 years.

And they’ve been linked to panarin and ek for almost a year before they hit ufa. This is a big summer for this franchise. Is it diferent this time or more of the same that leads to nowhere? This is not the summer to buy big ticket ufas. That’s guys aren’t the last big ufas to ever come around. Cap space is so crucial for this team once they get a strong nucleus of elcs in the lineup and producing. Maybe the following summer probably a year after that. Patience is key. Hopefully Gorton has more than most here.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I get the idea of building a strong nucleus but you have to have some guys that've been around before as part of the team. Yeah, maybe Panarin isn't really what this team needs next season, but the following seasons, when the youth movement starts maturing, he is an asset that can help push the team to the next step. I also think that with Buchnevich, Krasvtov, and Shestyorkin (and possibly Podkolzin) it's not the worst thing in the world to have a successful, veteran, Russian as part of the mix.

Only thing worse would be signing a one legged defenseman who can’t stay on the ice to a max contract. This summer is a dangerous time. This summer could easily wash away another decade and 54 years starts to short

Definitely agree with this. I thought he was damaged goods back when the Sens moved him. I also think that's why the return was somewhat less than what was expected. Karlsson before the injury I'm all in on. This version of him however, I pass on.

Very rarely are you going to have names like Panarin and Karlsson hit free agency. Sure, you saw JT go, but that was poor maneuvering by the Islanders. Everyone knew he was leaving.

In the past few seasons, the big names have been underwhelming 2017 - Shattenkirk, 2016 - Lucic, 2015 - no one, 2014 - Stastny and Ryan Miller, 2013 - David Clarkson, 2012 - Parise

I see the Rangers really have three options here:

1) Rip it down further. Trade Kreider and/or Zibanejad - probably both. Commit to making this team bad enough to get a top 2-3 pick for 1-2 years. Increase your chances of getting a franchise player through the draft greatly.

2) Stand pat. Stay too competitive to challenge for a top 2-3 pick, but not competitive enough to challenge for a playoff position.

3) Use available cap space to sign UFA. Panarin, EK, maybe both. Attempt to increase the talent level of the team quickly to turn it into a playoff contender. Supplement with prospects we have drafted over the last few years.

I'd like to think most would agree option 2 is not good. We don't want to be stuck in no man's land for 3-5 years waiting to get lucky. I'm personally good with option 1 or 3, but we can't have it both ways by keeping our good players and going for a top 2-3 pick. It's not going to happen. Tear it down completely or supplement with UFA. Do NOT settle in the middle with this picking 6th-14th kind of garbage and hoping to get lucky. You'll get more Lias Andersson's in that range before you find a NHL ready franchise player to build around.

Disclaimer: No, it doesn't mean you can't find a franchise player in that range. The odds just aren't nearly as high.

I see the Rangers really have three options here:

1) Rip it down further. Trade Kreider and/or Zibanejad - probably both. Commit to making this team bad enough to get a top 2-3 pick for 1-2 years. Increase your chances of getting a franchise player through the draft greatly.

2) Stand pat. Stay too competitive to challenge for a top 2-3 pick, but not competitive enough to challenge for a playoff position.

3) Use available cap space to sign UFA. Panarin, EK, maybe both. Attempt to increase the talent level of the team quickly to turn it into a playoff contender. Supplement with prospects we have drafted over the last few years.

I'd like to think most would agree option 2 is not good. We don't want to be stuck in no man's land for 3-5 years waiting to get lucky. I'm personally good with option 1 or 3, but we can't have it both ways by keeping our good players and going for a top 2-3 pick. It's not going to happen. Tear it down completely or supplement with UFA. Do NOT settle in the middle with this picking 6th-14th kind of garbage and hoping to get lucky. You'll get more Lias Andersson's in that range before you find a NHL ready franchise player to build around.

Disclaimer: No, it doesn't mean you can't find a franchise player in that range. The odds just aren't nearly as high.

That's a pretty large generalization though. It really depends on the draft. Lias draft class just looks meh right now.

That's a pretty large generalization though. It really depends on the draft. Lias draft class just looks meh right now.

It's not though: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-values-1.1119528

nhl-draft-pick-value.jpg

There's a lot of variance and in some drafts you have a greater chance of getting lucky in that range, but generally speaking you need at least 1 top 3 pick to show for it if you're going to miss the playoffs for a while.

I get the feeling the fire sale is done now. They'll probably move guys like Namestnikov and Strome, possibly Vesey and/or Fast, but the teardown is done and they'll be looking to add quality players. Whether that is a better strategy than 1) remains to be seen.

I get the feeling the fire sale is done now. They'll probably move guys like Namestnikov and Strome, possibly Vesey and/or Fast, but the teardown is done and they'll be looking to add quality players. Whether that is a better strategy than 1) remains to be seen.

I do agree that they are probably going option 3. I'm also good with moving any one of those guys you have mentioned, and those are all guys I think they could move pretty easily to free up cap space. I really do think they will go all in on Panarin and Karlsson. Whether they get either is another question entirely.

The list of FA defensemen are terrible outside of Karlsson, and the only way this team becomes a playoff team is if the defense is improved. I think Rangers management knows this, which makes me wonder if Karlsson is the guy they'll go hardest after. He is having a good year, with a ridiculous and abnormally low shot percentage leading to barely any goals. His point total is around a career average pace however.

It's not though: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-values-1.1119528

nhl-draft-pick-value.jpg

There's a lot of variance and in some drafts you have a greater chance of getting lucky in that range, but generally speaking you need at least 1 top 3 pick to show for it if you're going to miss the playoffs for a while.

I'm not really interested in 1990, though. I think the most you can go back is probably 10 years. What are the differences since web 2.0, the age of social media...shit, cell phones? Information is just better these days and there is way more of it.

Of course ek is way better but the rangers already have ada, Shattenkirk, and pionk who are all basically play the same role. They are all deficient defenders while their supposed strength is offensive. I’m not sure the d needs another in that mold without ridding themselves of at least two of the others. Also adding ek also makes Shattenkirk completely useless as he would no longer be on the power play which is supposed only redeeming quality. So to me anyway ek has huge injury questions and mileage on him and on top of that he’s really not a great fit. They more need guys to stabilize their defense, that is not ek.

Very rarely are you going to have names like Panarin and Karlsson hit free agency. Sure, you saw JT go, but that was poor maneuvering by the Islanders. Everyone knew he was leaving.

In the past few seasons, the big names have been underwhelming 2017 - Shattenkirk, 2016 - Lucic, 2015 - no one, 2014 - Stastny and Ryan Miller, 2013 - David Clarkson, 2012 - Parise

This year also has Duchene, Pavelski, lee, and others.

Next year

Pieterangelo

Hall

Backstrom

Both hall and pieterangelo would be better signings then panarin or ek. Not to mention the rangers would be further into the rebuilding process and would get more prime years out of them while hopefully being relevant.

This year also has Duchene, Pavelski, lee, and others.

Next year

Pieterangelo

Hall

Backstrom

Both hall and pieterangelo would be better signings then panarin or ek. Not to mention the rangers would be further into the rebuilding process and would get more prime years out of them while hopefully being relevant.

Completely disagree.

I'd take Panarin/Karlsson over Hall/Pietrangelo all day long and twice on Sunday.