• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Phil

Friedman: ‘I wonder about the Rangers and Karlsson’

“I think you guys are looking to upgrade,” began Friedman.

“Like right away upgrade,” clarified Marek.

“Yes,” replied Friedman. “Panarin.”

“We’ve got Zibanejad, we’ve got Lundqvist, boom,” said Marek.

“One of the more interesting stories now is going to be Erik Karlsson,” continued Friedman. “And we’ll see where he is health-wise when he comes back. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to be back much before the playoffs, if then.

“You know, I wonder if he could become a Ranger target. When he’s played this year, he’s been dynamite. You’re wondering about the injuries and I think he’s doing the best thing he can, is sitting out until he gets healthy - don’t risk it. But I wonder about the Rangers and Karlsson, how interested they’re going to be. I could see him loving playing there.”

“Everybody does,” whispered Marek.

“Yes,” agreed Friedman.

“Everybody loves that city,” noted Marek. “What’s not to love about it.”

-------------------------------

This is what I'm worried about. Panarin, Karlsson, Lundqvist in goal, eff the rebuild. Let's be a middle of the pack playoff team right away, our young players can learn from vets, we can win a Stanley Cup in two years!

That is the New York Rangers way. We brought in the Oiler-Rangers to get us 1994. We came close in the SCF against the Kings. We are New York. We don't have to wait. Ignore our track record from 1940 to present.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I'm worried about. Panarin, Karlsson, Lundqvist in goal, eff the rebuild. Let's be a middle of the pack playoff team right away, our young players can learn from vets, we can win a Stanley Cup in two years!

That is the New York Rangers way. We brought in the Oiler-Rangers to get us 1994. We came close in the SCF against the Kings. We are New York. We don't have to wait. Ignore our track record from 1940 to present.

Except the UFA's they are looking to sign are under 30, they'll have made 7 to 9 first round picks in the last 3 years, and traded for a number of prospects who are already contributing...

Signing Panarin and Karlsson doesn't change the fact they've acquire a shit load of assets over the last 3 years.

Friedman: ‘I wonder about the Rangers and Karlsson’

“I think you guys are looking to upgrade,” began Friedman.

“Like right away upgrade,” clarified Marek.

“Yes,” replied Friedman. “Panarin.”

“We’ve got Zibanejad, we’ve got Lundqvist, boom,” said Marek.

“One of the more interesting stories now is going to be Erik Karlsson,” continued Friedman. “And we’ll see where he is health-wise when he comes back. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to be back much before the playoffs, if then.

“You know, I wonder if he could become a Ranger target. When he’s played this year, he’s been dynamite. You’re wondering about the injuries and I think he’s doing the best thing he can, is sitting out until he gets healthy - don’t risk it. But I wonder about the Rangers and Karlsson, how interested they’re going to be. I could see him loving playing there.”

“Everybody does,” whispered Marek.

“Yes,” agreed Friedman.

“Everybody loves that city,” noted Marek. “What’s not to love about it.”

-------------------------------

I'd take this approach over your "suck for 3 seasons, and theyll magically get better" approach.

There's nothing left of value to sell outside of Kreider.

There's zero point of throwing entire seasons away in a hope to draft higher. That's not going to work.

Now, you have to start going the other way.

Yup. They threw this season away to suck and didn’t get them to the bottom. It’s a copycat league but it’s time for the rangers to cut their own path here. Okay, so they didn’t get that Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid. They still did well. How do they proceed from here?

why are we trying to solve ailments for next season, or the season after that? another season of sucking helps us, although it is rough on the fans
Well you're highlighted one sentence and ignored the rest. Read it again.

My logic is to deepen our roster depth. To yes kind of tread water for a year or two to develop the kids while also putting a competitive team on the ice. One that would not be a laughing stock. The kids would still have all the opportunity to take as many minutes as possible. If chytil performs he would take the 2nd kind center spot or the minutes you would hand out to a player in that role. Anderson and Howden would be given the opportunity to play and succeed as would Hajek and whomever else. It would be their spots to lose but if they can’t handle an advanced role they could be sheltered into less minutes and better match ups. To do that there has to be guys here to fill those roles at least somewhat. If competition is what we can all agree upon being good for development than how do the rangers achieve that? Adding veteran players on short term deals would accomplish this as there isn’t much in the organization that isn’t already here. Yes Kravtsov but that is it for next year.

If the goal isn’t to be a wasteland here for years than the most prudent way to build any team is down the middle and on defense. The defense has guys coming but years away. The current group is awful as a whole. The center position as it stands has Zibanejad and then all kids who have struggled. Their struggles are expected and more will come. To help them it would benefit the group to add a adequate nhl player to help soften their matchups and give the coach another option when a night off is needed.

Signing panarin and ek is very popular. It’s probably going to happen. The argument for signing them is all about their effect years from now. All with the assumption that the kids grow into core that can contend. My issue is that nobody know what those two will be three to six years from now. Paying $12m a year is risky, period. The kids turning into that core is equally in doubt if not more so. Chytil looks like a decent bet but Anderson and Howden don’t like more than bottom six players. I know it’s early. Everybody else is an unknown as far as the kids.

Pretty much everybody here will tell you how draft picks are basically lottery tickets and how few ever become good nhl players. It’s always the argument against trading anyone. Yet as soon as we draft those picks and names are put next to them. Those names are magically inserted into substantial roles throughout thexrangers lineup. Fact is when you list all of the rangers prospects most of them are going to disappoint and fail. Which in the end means this rebuild isn’t taking two or three years. It’s unrealistic. Always has been. Which is why I don’t see the need to committing to long term massive deals because the reality is five years from now those guys could actually hurt what is a good team

Thanks for putting this out there.

It's a lot to digest so all I can say is there is no point in "not being a laughing stock" next year if you don't invest big on UFA.

Overall, just let the kids play and grow into the role they were meant to be in with no expectations. That means let them be top players next year...or let them have stud vets shelter them for a year before expectations arrive the year after and after. Even with Panarin and EK...no one expects playoff success next season.

Quinn is never just going to let them play if the effort or attention to detail isn’t there. I would argue that if Howden or Anderson go 40 games without a point that maybe it’s not good for their development to just continue to be thrown over the boards due to the thinking that development is just time and minutes in the nhl.

I fully understand your point. The problem is the ranger front office and coaching staff will never play to lose. They don’t view it in black and white terms. More importantly their coach is never going to just role out players. He’s going to coach to win every game. It’s the nhl and that is how it should be.

If the effort and attention to detail isn't there, they shouldn't play lol. I've really lost track of what point you're trying to make other that we should invest long term in dzingle rather than Panarin so suffice to say I totally disgaree and still say you haven't really shown a solid argument not to get Panarin. Right now your just disgareeing with posts and not holistic points of view.

My point is I don’t want any deals more than four years. The counter was I don’t want to do anything which is not true. I would sign a bunch of nhl vets to increase my depth and role competition. It would hopefully net a competitive team with good veteran leadership which would aid in the devolpment of our prospects.

Secondly I would spare no cost to fix the mess in Hartford. Hartford needs to be a breeding ground for what’s to come. The fact that this organization has turned such a blind eye to what happens down there is embarrassing.

My point is I don’t want any deals more than four years. The counter was I don’t want to do anything which is not true. I would sign a bunch of nhl vets to increase my depth and role competition. It would hopefully net a competitive team with good veteran leadership which would aid in the devolpment of our prospects.

Secondly I would spare no cost to fix the mess in Hartford. Hartford needs to be a breeding ground for what’s to come. The fact that this organization has turned such a blind eye to what happens down there is embarrassing.

I've said it a million times now. Unless the Rangers want to actually put drafted players in the minors, Hartford will continue to suck. Brady Skjei was the last 1st round pick (before anderson & chytil). That was 2012. How could Hartford possibly be good? That's the cost of "going for it."

Were Anderson, Chytil, Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Kravstov, Miller, and Lundqist in Hartford, you'd probably rather watch that team than the Rangers.

Something is clearly amiss in Hartford that must be rectified in the off season. We can't have a situation where we don't want to send Shestyorkin, Kravtsov and various others down there for a little time at the start of their North American pro careers because no one seems to be improving down there.

My point is I don?t want any deals more than four years. The counter was I don?t want to do anything which is not true. I would sign a bunch of nhl vets to increase my depth and role competition. It would hopefully net a competitive team with good veteran leadership which would aid in the devolpment of our prospects.

Secondly I would spare no cost to fix the mess in Hartford. Hartford needs to be a breeding ground for what?s to come. The fact that this organization has turned such a blind eye to what happens down there is embarrassing.

What's the point of just being competitive next year? Better to be bad and get a better pick.

No one aims to be the 17th place team. Those are the teams that thought they could make the playoffs and couldn't.

There's nothing to be gained having the goal of mediocrity.

Then you have more fans whining about 40 points Dzingel playing over Chytil when Chytil starts bailing on pucks and Quinn sits him.

The team doesn't have an issue at center. Defense will be solved by combo of Miller, Hajek, Lindqvist, Rykov and addition by subtraction of Pionk, Staal, Smith, Shatty. Aging #1 goalie solved by Georgie and Shesty.

Panarin doesn't solve every ailment for next season, but by the year after it probably keeps us from saying "Kravtsov and Zib can't be the only offense we have".

why are we trying to solve ailments for next season, or the season after that? another season of sucking helps us, although it is rough on the fans

Look at our top six forwards, and top two defenseman pairings. How many of those names would you associate with a top first or second line on a Stanley Cup champion? Then ask yourself how many years is it going to take to accumulate that kind of talent in those ten roster spots. Probably more than a year or two. OK, Panarin would be one piece. Is he still viable when we are ready to contend?

I'd take this approach over your "suck for 3 seasons, and theyll magically get better" approach.

Well you're highlighted one sentence and ignored the rest. Read it again.

Pete, c'mon you know I read entire posts, I just highlight a sentence for emphasis:D I'm looking for a legitimate top two lines and top two defensemen pairings. I'm in the fatfranchesca camp. We're finally getting out from under some long-term contracts (Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi etc) Over next two years we can start to remake this roster. I don't want us to start handing out 7-8 year contracts and no-move clauses for vets. That path has failed us for many years.

I want a scouting department to acquire talented players when they are young and cheap. I want a minor league system that develops players. I want a franchise at the NHL level with a system and culture devoted to winning multiple cups. I want a whole-scale makeover of the Rangers franchise so we can be looked at as a model franchise and have a modern dynasty (like Chicago, Pittsburgh, NJ, Detroit runs... days of Edmonton-Islander-Canadien type dynasties are probably done). I don't want the goal to be one cup. I want a run that gets us at least 2-3 Cups. That requires the Rangers franchise to change how they think, plan, and manage rosters.

Pete, c'mon you know I read entire posts, I just highlight a sentence for emphasis:D I'm looking for a legitimate top two lines and top two defensemen pairings. I'm in the fatfranchesca camp. We're finally getting out from under some long-term contracts (Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi etc) Over next two years we can start to remake this roster. I don't want us to start handing out 7-8 year contracts and no-move clauses for vets. That path has failed us for many years.

I want a scouting department to acquire talented players when they are young and cheap. I want a minor league system that develops players. I want a franchise at the NHL level with a system and culture devoted to winning multiple cups. I want a whole-scale makeover of the Rangers franchise so we can be looked at as a model franchise and have a modern dynasty (like Chicago, Pittsburgh, NJ, Detroit runs... days of Edmonton-Islander-Canadien type dynasties are probably done). I don't want the goal to be one cup. I want a run that gets us at least 2-3 Cups. That requires the Rangers franchise to change how they think, plan, and manage rosters.

There's a big difference between paying a 31 year old Richards for 8 years and a 27 year old Panarin for 7.

Panarin just costs cap, which we have plenty of. He doesn't stop you from doing anything you're listing here.

I agree with all of this.

But there’s a difference in paying Girardi, Staal, Shattenkirk big bucks vs paying Panarin or Karlsson big bucks. We SHOULD be targeting and paying legit top line players. We should NOT be giving out termed deals to middle 6 forwards.

What's the point of just being competitive next year? Better to be bad and get a better pick.

No one aims to be the 17th place team. Those are the teams that thought they could make the playoffs and couldn't.

There's nothing to be gained having the goal of mediocrity.

Then you have more fans whining about 40 points Dzingel playing over Chytil when Chytil starts bailing on pucks and Quinn sits him.

I agree with you but they are not throwing away a season and either is the coach.

And josh maybe the difference here is how we view the players. Ek while elite is a ticking time bomb with his health. Panarin while also elite is a wing and I don’t want to pay a wing top center money. So I don’t have a problem with signing long term massive contracts. I just don’t want to sign tee two guys to those contracts because the risk outweighs the reward in my opinion.

I agree with you but they are not throwing away a season and either is the coach.

And josh maybe the difference here is how we view the players. Ek while elite is a ticking time bomb with his health. Panarin while also elite is a wing and I don?t want to pay a wing top center money. So I don?t have a problem with signing long term massive contracts. I just don?t want to sign tee two guys to those contracts because the risk outweighs the reward in my opinion.

Who cares that he's a wing? 2 of the top 3 and 5 of the top 10 scorers in the NHL are wings.

The grand total of goal scoring wingers on the Rangers is 0.

I don’t see how adding one isn’t as big a need as any other position.

Ok, that's it...

Let's go Gravy!! Retirement over!! Let's put the skates back on!! :rofl:

And josh maybe the difference here is how we view the players. Ek while elite is a ticking time bomb with his health. Panarin while also elite is a wing and I don’t want to pay a wing top center money. So I don’t have a problem with signing long term massive contracts. I just don’t want to sign tee two guys to those contracts because the risk outweighs the reward in my opinion.

Which centers are out there in free agency over the next few seasons? Besides, the future down the middle isn't horrible, as is.

1 -Zibanejad, Turcotte

2 - Chytil, 9 draft picks in first 3 rounds in next 2 years

3 -Howden, Andersson

4 - Nieves, Fontaine