Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One more time for the people in the back...

A.
    Bird.
    In.
    The.
    Hand.

Wait and trade for someone... How do you know who will be available? And then you have to gut your team and system to get them.

Wait and sign a different UFA... Again how do we know who'll be available? Will they be 27? Will they want to come?

We're not at the beginning of a rebuild. We're about half way through after this draft with the amount of picks we've made last year and this year, even with the massive whiff on Lias.

Also regarding the Blackhawks, not sure where you're getting only Kane isn't a drain. Toews is a p/g player and Keith is $5.5 against the cap. Seabrook's deal is trash and they haven't drafted well, and they had no goaltending this year or they'd be in the playoffs.

And if next year's draft is as good as 2003 (link to that prediction?), you can grab a great player in the top 10, middle 10 or bottom 10. Suter went 7, Seabrook 14 and Burns 20. And that's just the D. I'd take Corey Perry at 28 all day.
    A bird in the hand? The rangers are not ready to take that risk. While the quantities are known as far as this years ufas. Nobody knows what they are three years from now so while they are known today they aren’t when this team is ready to compete. What also isn’t known is what the rangers have. Right now it’s potential. By definition what they need to spend their money on depends on which prospects work out and which ones don’t. I’m not fearful of missing out. The reason is because this team isn’t ready to fish in those waters.

As far as a future trade. You don’t have to hit your team. In fact it’s your choice. Spending like others suggest actually could take that choice out of your hands because of the cap. Bottom line the opposing argument is a tired one for this franchise. The rangers have tried your way over and over and over again. I’m all for going for it but there is a time and a place and that time is not now.

The rangers are half way through a rebuild? By what metric? I’m not disagreeing. But the league is littered with teams that have been rebuilding forever. Kakko changes everything? Maybe. Do you think Edmonton maybe thought Mcdavid would change things. How about buffalo with Eichel and dahlin? The problems in both cities are vast but depth is certainly at the forefront. Not sure we willfully want to spend so much on two guys.

Senior Member Mite Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Hard to assess how far through the rebuild they actually are. No one knows the timeframe that those actually in the organization placed on it or when they feel it started.

IMO, it started in June of 17 when they traded Step and bought out Girardi. That puts us 2 years in this upcoming Draft. Initially I felt it would be about 3 seasons worth of trades, stockpiling picks, prospects, and younger players, poor on ice results and picking high. I felt at that time 2 years ago they would start to see good results at the latter stages of 19-20 season, with an eye on being a bonafide playoff team again in 20-21 and improving from there.

That is still my viewpoint at this time.

Making the aforementioned adds of both Panarin and Karlsson should accelerate that timeframe. But that hasn’t happened yet, so I’ll stick to my original timeframe of 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    While the quantities are known as far as this years ufas. Nobody knows what they are three years from now
    I don't know why you push this as support for not signing Panarin. It is actually quite the opposite because players of his quality hitting the market is incredibly rare. Being the lucky team to sign a player of his caliber is even rarer. Other than Tavares last year, who obviously just wanted to go back home, how many players of that caliber have hit the market in the last decade? What we know based on the past is precisely how we attempt to predict the future/unknown.

Senior Member Midget Division
    A bird in the hand? The rangers are not ready to take that risk. While the quantities are known as far as this years ufas. Nobody knows what they are three years from now so while they are known today they arenít when this team is ready to compete. What also isnít known is what the rangers have. Right now itís potential. By definition what they need to spend their money on depends on which prospects work out and which ones donít. Iím not fearful of missing out. The reason is because this team isnít ready to fish in those waters.

As far as a future trade. You donít have to hit your team. In fact itís your choice. Spending like others suggest actually could take that choice out of your hands because of the cap. Bottom line the opposing argument is a tired one for this franchise. The rangers have tried your way over and over and over again. Iím all for going for it but there is a time and a place and that time is not now.

The rangers are half way through a rebuild? By what metric? Iím not disagreeing. But the league is littered with teams that have been rebuilding forever. Kakko changes everything? Maybe. Do you think Edmonton maybe thought Mcdavid would change things. How about buffalo with Eichel and dahlin? The problems in both cities are vast but depth is certainly at the forefront. Not sure we willfully want to spend so much on two guys.
    Becoming Edmonton or Buffalo is what you're proposing. Keep sucking and keep drafting. Dont sign Panarin or Karlsson while we have the chance. Wait until Kakko is making 12 mil a year and then sign Lucic, Skinner, or Okposo.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    A bird in the hand? The rangers are not ready to take that risk. While the quantities are known as far as this years ufas. Nobody knows what they are three years from now....
    This will always be true of any player, so there is zero sum logic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This will always be true of any player, so there is zero sum logic here.
    Unless that player is Wade Redden.
    All you needed was eyeballs to see what a disaster that would be.

What’s worse is that you can’t even concede that there is any chance of it not working. The reason is because to admit that you must try and rationalize the effects a contract like that would have in those circumstances. It’s a waste a time to discuss this any further. I totally disagree with you. Take solace in that you will get your man. I look forward to the next guy they have to have. Something like St. Louis, yandle, Staal. Kind of like how we got here in the first place. Difference is those didn’t last a decade.

Depends on you definition of working. I can see them playing well here for a couple of years. To me this all hinges on years 4-7 though. Those are the years in which it’s realistic to expect contending. I will 100% honest I have no idea what panarin or ek will look like then. It’s possible they are better than today. It’s possible. I’m just not comfortable with making that gamble to me for no reason.

I’m not against signing ufas ever. I’m against long term deals at this point where this team stands today. Depending on how the team progresses that can change.

We can kiss that Tampa 1st rounder goodbye

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Sure, but that was a stretch goal. It was always a small chance of them winning cup.

However, their imminent demise will give us a pretty good 2nd rounder.

If there ever was a series where a team comes back from a 3-0 deficit, it's one that involves a 62 win team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Sure, but that was a stretch goal. It was always a small chance of them winning cup.

They had 2-1 odds, 5 times better than the next highest odds.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    If there ever was a series where a team comes back from a 3-0 deficit, it's one that involves a 62 win team.

I’ll buy that.

But I think Torts’ guys smell blood.

Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    I’ll buy that.

But I think Torts’ guys smell blood.
    We've seen Torts' guys blow big series leads before too, against less talented teams than TB.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    We've seen Torts' guys blow big series leads before too, against less talented teams than TB.
    That we have

But 3-0 is different story.

It’s just so hard to do. And they’ve had no life since 1st period of Game 1.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    They had 2-1 odds, 5 times better than the next highest odds.
    In other words, we had a 33% chance of getting the 31st pick, which is historically a low percentage proposition for getting a significant NHL player. We've all wasted time worrying about this pick.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Except you don't know that. None of us do. He could very well have a Datsyuk-like "decline" to his career where even into his mid-to-late thirties, he's one of the game's best wingers.
    you right ,no one does know the future
    Last edited by lefty9; 04-15-2019 at 08:12 AM.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

The worst case scenario for that pick was 61 overall (Bolts lose in the SCF).

This is the (given the seasons' results) second best case scenario for the pick - 58 overall.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324