Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Stay the course, build through the draft
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    It goes past just those guys. Everyone wanted parise too. Thank god he went home. Nobody worries about 4-5 years from now. You should because that should be this squads coming of age time. It will be a shame if they are anchored by contracts that helped at a time when they had no chance. Why risk the future for little chance now? I don’t get it. Why rush into this shit. Another thing. Kakko is great get but he’s still a child. Literally. He’s not the messiah. He’s a proper piece to build around. A proper piece who won’t be in his prime for years. Again. Years. Yes that’s right, years from now. It makes no sense to sign guys to contracts that will be in decline when our core is just entering their primes.
    I can only speak for myself, but I did not want Parise. He looked nothing the same to me the year after he missed a year with the knee injury. The explosiveness and speed was gone.

I don't think it is fair to say nobody worries about 4-5 years from now. I think we just disagree on what value guys like Panarin and Karlsson will have to the team at that time. I think they will still be very good players, and I don't think they will be so bad we will be wanting to buy them out like Redden and Richards.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Minnesota at the time of signing sited and parise were an up and coming team. If anything they were further along then the rangers are now. But again which team won the cup buying their main pieces?
    How many times have the rangers been burned in free agency? What do they say about not learning from your mistakes?

Rangerstown. Where the only way to travel is the short yellow bus.
    Minn was up and coming? Kakao, Kravtsov, Chytil > Granlund, Niederreiter, Coyle.

Their leading scorer every year had about 60 points. Praise in 7 years in NJ had 2 years over 70. Panarin has never been under 70. Meanwhile Zibanejad > Koivu.

Has Suter not been good in Minn? 2nd, 4th, 9th, 8th, 5th, 13th in Norris voting every year he's been there.

Adding a 2 time Norris trophy winner would be great for Hajek, Rykov, DeAngelo, Miller, Lundkvist, and Reunanen.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Minn was up and coming? Kakao, Kravtsov, Chytil > Granlund, Niederreiter, Coyle.

Their leading scorer every year had about 60 points. Praise in 7 years in NJ had 2 years over 70. Panarin has never been under 70. Meanwhile Zibanejad > Koivu.

Has Suter not been good in Minn? 2nd, 4th, 9th, 8th, 5th, 13th in Norris voting every year he's been there.

Adding a 2 time Norris trophy winner would be great for Hajek, Rykov, DeAngelo, Miller, Lundkvist, and Reunanen.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Yes they were up and coming. None of the guys you mention on the ranger side of prospects have done squat in the nhl. The other guys have had careers yet that doesn’t take away of what they were thought to be at the time. Zibanejad is the only proven. Which is the entire point. You guys are looking to spend like your contending and most of the core guys you want to count on can’t legally drink and have had zero nhl success. The

Hey maybe Columbus though really is the bar for all contending teams.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I get the trepidation, but the guys they have been burned by are of the Redden/Gomez/Drury/Richards variety. Those guys are not on the same plane as Panarin/Karlsson. It is far more equivalent to looking at the acquisition of Jagr or to a lesser degree Gaborik, in terms of talent level, and both were successes on broadway.
    Bingo. Not all free agents are made the same. Or is Vinny Prospal the same as Donald Brashear?
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Yes they were up and coming. None of the guys you mention on the ranger side of prospects have done squat in the nhl. The other guys have had careers yet that doesn’t take away of what they were thought to be at the time. Zibanejad is the only proven. Which is the entire point. You guys are looking to spend like your contending and most of the core guys you want to count on can’t legally drink and have had zero nhl success. The

Hey maybe Columbus though really is the bar for all contending teams.
    Coyle and Granlund were 20 and never played a game before Parise and Suter signed. Neiderreiter was traded for a year later and at 21 had 3 points in 64 career games.

I want to count on Karlsson, Panarin, and Zibanejad while all our first round picks learn from them.

If Chytil, Kravtsov, and Kakko need big money deals coming off their ELC's it'll mean the Rangers are contending with 5 ppg players and a Norris finalist. If the kids dont get there the cap won't be an issue. They can bridge them.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Minnesota at the time of signing sited and parise were an up and coming team. If anything they were further along then the rangers are now. But again which team won the cup buying their main pieces?
    How many times have the rangers been burned in free agency? What do they say about not learning from your mistakes?

Rangerstown. Where the only way to travel is the short yellow bus.
    But you want to sign Dzingle.

You're arguing to argue. Again, by your logic no team should ever sign a UFA because maybe it won't work out.

BTW, I'm not buying the main pieces. The main pieces are Kravtsov, Chytil, the #2 pick, Miller, etc. I'm buying the final pieces, they just happen to be for sale now.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

They won’t be final pieces anymore when we need them to be. And at that point their contacts will tough to swallow. Let’s develop our own young studs instead
    Last edited by Vodka Drunkenski; 04-13-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    They won’t be final pieces anymore when we need them to be. And at that point their contacts will tough to swallow. Let’s develop our own young studs instead
    Why does it have to be instead? Our studs can't develop of we have Panarin?

And who says they won't be final pieces in 3 years?

Again ... They're not old. Especially Panarin.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    No issue with buying 1 big piece now. They are available now, and you never know what the next FA class will actually look like till you get there. Whether or not they have to do it to build a contender, they’re still the Rangers and it’s still NY, so they’re going to swim in those waters. That’s always going to be a club in their bag, even if they’ve shifted to a strategy of building primarily through the draft.

But two huge contracts on FA from outside the organization? At a point where so many guys who are viewed as future key pieces have yet to even reach the NHL yet? Maybe not the time to open the checkbook quite that far and stay conservative in their spending.

And do they honestly want to dump say, $23 million a year and over $150 million in total in the lap of 2 players this summer when they’ve heavily adopted a home grown approach? I don’t know.

Definitely should spend money this summer. They have their coach and a system. They’ve filled the organization with prospects and more are coming in June. So it’s time to start bringing in some vets that are part of a longer term plan for sure. I just don’t know that they should spend so many bullets in one shootout.
    Last edited by RangersIn7; 04-13-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    No issue with buying 1 big piece now. Whether or not they have to do it to build a contender, they’re still the Rangers and it’s still NY, so they’re going to swim in those waters. That’s always going to be a club in their bag, even if they’ve shifted to a strategy of building primarily through the draft.

But two huge contracts on FA from outside the organization? At a point where so many guys who are viewed as future key pieces have yet to even reach the NHL yet? Maybe not the time to open the checkbook quite that far and stay conservative in their spending.
    It's exactly when to open the checkbook and spend. Those guys who've yet to reach the NHL will be on entry-level deals worth pennies (relative to Karlsson and Panarin). You strike while the iron is hot, then worry about making room if and when they command new deals worth significant amounts.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It's exactly when to open the checkbook and spend. Those guys who've yet to reach the NHL will be on entry-level deals worth pennies (relative to Karlsson and Panarin). You strike while the iron is hot, then worry about making room if and when they command new deals worth significant amounts.
    Sure.

But it doesn’t have to be on both though.

No, it doesn't have to be. But I'm not against it at all. I think Panarin is as close to a must as possible. I can easily be swayed on Karlsson, too, but if it has to be just one, it's Panarin all day long.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    No, it doesn't have to be. But I'm not against it at all. I think Panarin is as close to a must as possible. I can easily be swayed on Karlsson, too, but if it has to be just one, it's Panarin all day long.
    This. And only because we're getting Hughes or Kakko.

I'd have done it even without them, but with one of them, I think it's even more critical to give this rebuild a shot in the arm. I forget who said it here, but I also agree that as bad as their defense is, dramatically improving the forwards will dramatically improve the team overall. Similar to how you watch other teams with relatively weak defensive groups — Toronto and Pittsburgh come to mind — still succeed at a high level.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I'd have done it even without them, but with one of them, I think it's even more critical to give this rebuild a shot in the arm. I forget who said it here, but I also agree that as bad as their defense is, dramatically improving the forwards will dramatically improve the team overall. Similar to how you watch other teams with relatively weak defensive groups — Toronto and Pittsburgh come to mind — still succeed at a high level.
    Of course the defense looks shitty when the other team has the puck almost the entire game. they always look like they're chasing, and the ones with offense I taking too many chances. When they play more of a possession game you might see the defense legitimize a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Of course the defense looks shitty when the other team has the puck almost the entire game. they always look like they're chasing, and the ones with offense I taking too many chances. When they play more of a possession game you might see the defense legitimize a little bit.
    Agreed.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Oh I think the D is plenty shitty.

It's awful, but it's designed to play offense, so if you dramatically improve the offensive talent of the forwards (Panarin, Kakko, Kravstov), you should see a better result in most games.

Pionk and Shattenkirk are woefully deficient without the puck, but if you give them someone with Panarin's ability to finish rather than, you know, Jimmy Vesey, don't be surprised when things improve relatively quickly.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    I am against signing him,I do t want to sign a player to a six year big contract for the great years he had with other club,when his play will diminish during the contract here with the rangers ,and you know in a couple of years you will wish the rangers never signed him

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast