Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I think the next couple of years will be very interesting to watch Chytil progress. A Sebastian Aho type progression would be awesome to watch from a young homegrown Ranger for a change.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    #suck(forthreeyears)forsavoie
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...coach-gm-last/
    Friedman's 31 Thoughts
    11. Another interesting junior hockey story involves Matt Savoie. The 15-year-old from St. Albert, Alta., was rejected for “exceptional player” status by Hockey Canada. In return, he announced on Twitter a commitment to NCAA Denver for 2021-22. This led to plenty of gossip that Savoie was letting everyone know that when he does get drafted into the WHL, it better be to a situation he prefers. (Jeff Marek reported that Shane Wright, given the exceptional status into the OHL, had agreed as part of the process to go wherever he was selected. That will be Kingston.)

I looked into that, and got some pushback. By going to Denver, Savoie knows he can play with older brother Carter, who has already committed to the Colorado school. They can also go to the USHL together, because players can pick their spots.
    Drama already!

And I didn't realize he wasnt granted exceptional player status.
    Last edited by josh; 03-20-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    WHL has never had a player achieve that status and if Savoie didn't qualify nobody will.

Yet, in the OHL, Sean Day got it lol. OK.

I think it would be super if he ends up declining any invites to Hockey Canada international events. I'd support that 100%.

I'm late to the Savoie bandwagon, too. All last year one of my managers, who is president of a Minor Hockey Assoc in AB, kept telling me "You gotta come watch this kid, you gotta come watch this kid, you gotta come watch this kid" and I was all stand-offish thinking it was nothing.

Then a month ago I asked him "Have you heard of this Savoie kid, what can you tell me?"

Hahaha

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Panarin, Karlsson, and Zib would be the core. Under 30 years old. Supported by 7 or 8 1st round picks over a three year span. Plus Hajek, Rykov, Howden, Lemieux, and the other young pieces added over the last couple years.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    My only concern would be signing those players to long term contracts where they are 28 and 29 in the first year. Weíve probably seen the peak of each player and a future downward trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    My only concern would be signing those players to long term contracts where they are 28 and 29 in the first year. Weíve probably seen the peak of each player and a future downward trend.

On Karlsson, yes. On Panarin, no. Or, in his case, the downward trend is going to be incredibly graceful a la Datsyuk.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    On Karlsson, yes. On Panarin, no. Or, in his case, the downward trend is going to be incredibly graceful a la Datsyuk.

How could you possibly know that? Is he even half the defensive player datsyuk was?

My biggest concern for next year is not adding a nhl center or two to this team. After Zibanejad who do they have? I know the kids but I’m not sure counting on that is a good idea. And I’m talking about their development not winning games. Pressure is going to mount rightly or not for them to produce. It would be nice to shelter them if need be. If they surprise them great but there should be a plan in place to avoid them struggling as much as possible.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    How could you possibly know that? Is he even half the defensive player datsyuk was?
    I'm talking about offensive impact relative to age. Panarin has very few NHL miles on him, so he's not your traditional 28-year-old in free agency (think Anders Lee). This, combined with his style of play, lend to a graceful downside where he should be able to remain a high-level player well into his thirties.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    My biggest concern for next year is not adding a nhl center or two to this team. After Zibanejad who do they have? I know the kids but I’m not sure counting on that is a good idea. And I’m talking about their development not winning games. Pressure is going to mount rightly or not for them to produce. It would be nice to shelter them if need be. If they surprise them great but there should be a plan in place to avoid them struggling as much as possible.
    Strome, Namestnikov
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

My biggest concern for next year is not adding a nhl center or two to this team. After Zibanejad who do they have? I know the kids but Iím not sure counting on that is a good idea. And Iím talking about their development not winning games. Pressure is going to mount rightly or not for them to produce. It would be nice to shelter them if need be. If they surprise them great but there should be a plan in place to avoid them struggling as much as possible.
    Zib is 1. Howden is 3. For two there is multiple scenarios. A) They moved Chytil back to center last night. We'll see how he looks in camp going into his sophomore year. B) They can draft a center in the top 5 that makes the team a la Kotkaniemi. C) Worse comes to worst both Strome or Names can center the #2 line and I'd prefer either of them to signing Dzingel.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Zib is 1. Howden is 3. For two there is multiple scenarios. A) They moved Chytil back to center last night. We'll see how he looks in camp going into his sophomore year. B) They can draft a center in the top 5 that makes the team a la Kotkaniemi. C) Worse comes to worst both Strome or Names can center the #2 line and I'd prefer either of them to signing Dzingel.

Hughes fills that #1 spot quite nicely

Each scenario is awful, unless chytil is ready to take on that role. Why you wouldn’t insulate him though is hard to understand. It wouldn’t be so bad slitting him there the problem is the depth below him. They are unpolished kids too, who maybe over their heads.

The more I think about the more I’m against panarin. Signing him leaves little to no money to address what’s actually wrong with this team or even stabilize this team so players can properly develop. On top of that Hartford isn’t a great place for developing players either. Both of those things can be addressed by adding depth throughout the organization.

day-to-day Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm talking about offensive impact relative to age. Panarin has very few NHL miles on him, so he's not your traditional 28-year-old in free agency (think Anders Lee). This, combined with his style of play, lend to a graceful downside where he should be able to remain a high-level player well into his thirties.
    For 7-8 years and a no-move clause, still a gamble that Panarin is good in the playoffs and fits whatever our team philosophy is 3+ years down the road when we are trying to win a Cup.

'Development' should mostly take place in the minors, at NHL level Rangers are going to rack up the losses next year as well unless management abandons a rebuild. Rangers are years away from being a Stanley Cup contender. Doing the rebuild right means the product on the ice is going to be hard to watch sometimes.

Adding a pricy winger (Panarin) doesn't help this team's issues at center or defense or aging no. 1 goaltender.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Panarin is worth any of these to put on the top line. The middle 6 holes can and should be filled from within the org, not through using up the money on a guy like Dzingel. All this talk about the kids failing, and no talk about where to play them if they progress. Having open spots creates a competition to claim them. Chytil won't be given the 2C role unless he has earned it in camp. Signing an FA to take the spot away is not a good way to rebuild. Hitting on the draft would be nice too. Cross your fingers!
    Last edited by rmc51; Yesterday at 06:53 AM.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    My biggest concern for next year is not adding a nhl center or two to this team. After Zibanejad who do they have? I know the kids but Iím not sure counting on that is a good idea. And Iím talking about their development not winning games. Pressure is going to mount rightly or not for them to produce. It would be nice to shelter them if need be. If they surprise them great but there should be a plan in place to avoid them struggling as much as possible.
    I don't understand this, can you clarify what scenario this would be? If they don't sign Panarin and/or Karlsson?

I'm trying to wrap my head around where you're coming from so I can understand. If your main concern is that we don't have centers, so you want to add centers instead of Panarin and Karlsson, what problem are we solving...Not signing them means there are zero expectations next year. Zib / Chytil / Howden / Lias with Strome and Names is fine for a team that's not expecting to make noise. No one is going to expect production from Chytil, Howden or Lias. Juse improvement. No one expects those guys to carry a team in their 2nd years.

If you want to add centers because you think we're gonna be bad otherwise...and the idea is to get good...Why not add Panarin and Karlsson? I don't get it.

Either way, a guy like Dzingel doesn't make us a better team now, or later for that matter. It's just treading water. He makes us not good enough to do anything and not bad enough to get a decent pick.

I want to understand the logic because I feel like alot of people are hammering you here, but you're kind of all over the place, too.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    For 7-8 years and a no-move clause, still a gamble that Panarin is good in the playoffs and fits whatever our team philosophy is 3+ years down the road when we are trying to win a Cup.

'Development' should mostly take place in the minors, at NHL level Rangers are going to rack up the losses next year as well unless management abandons a rebuild. Rangers are years away from being a Stanley Cup contender. Doing the rebuild right means the product on the ice is going to be hard to watch sometimes.

Adding a pricy winger (Panarin) doesn't help this team's issues at center or defense or aging no. 1 goaltender.
    The team doesn't have an issue at center. Defense will be solved by combo of Miller, Hajek, Lindqvist, Rykov and addition by subtraction of Pionk, Staal, Smith, Shatty. Aging #1 goalie solved by Georgie and Shesty.

Panarin doesn't solve every ailment for next season, but by the year after it probably keeps us from saying "Kravtsov and Zib can't be the only offense we have".

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The team doesn't have an issue at center. Defense will be solved by combo of Miller, Hajek, Lindqvist, Rykov and addition by subtraction of Pionk, Staal, Smith, Shatty. Aging #1 goalie solved by Georgie and Shesty.

Panarin doesn't solve every ailment for next season, but by the year after it probably keeps us from saying "Kravtsov and Zib can't be the only offense we have".
    why are we trying to solve ailments for next season, or the season after that? another season of sucking helps us, although it is rough on the fans

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Look at our top six forwards, and top two defenseman pairings. How many of those names would you associate with a top first or second line on a Stanley Cup champion? Then ask yourself how many years is it going to take to accumulate that kind of talent in those ten roster spots. Probably more than a year or two. OK, Panarin would be one piece. Is he still viable when we are ready to contend?

It's not a linear issue. I would wager they become "ready to contend" rather serendipitously as opposed to some grand scheme.

There are teams that have been on this path for nearing a decade and are no closer now then they were at the start.

I favour bold moves. Big, bold moves rather than waiting for our stars to align via years of drafting in advantageous positions because we're a laughing stock.
    Last edited by Dunny; Yesterday at 01:26 PM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast