Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 478

Thread: McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

  1. #1
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    86,512
    Rep Power
    460

    McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

    “Well, they’re in a rebuild. There’s no doubt about that,” began McKenzie. “That’s why they traded Kevin Hayes, that’s why they traded Mats Zuccarello, that’s why they’ve made the moves that they’ve made. So they’re loading up on picks, and they’re trying to inject more youth into their lineup.

    “But it’s kind of a soft rebuild, if you want to call it that. Because don’t be surprised if this summer, when Artemi Panarin is there in free agency, the Rangers are there with bags of money saying, ‘Come see us, come play with us.’ Because it is New York, and they don’t want this to be an all-day sucker, if you will, that’s going to take five, six, seven years.

    “They knew they needed to change gears and start accumulating draft picks and young players, and they’ve started to do that. But they’re going to also do other things, and that is dip into free agency or any player that’s available in a trade - a hockey trade - they’re going to look at all of those things because they want to get better in a hurry.”
    https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/arch...ter-in-a-hurry
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,385
    Rep Power
    43
    Guess i should start listening to Edmonton TSN 1260 to get my Ranger news. Lord knows you never hear it on Sirius or local N.Y. Radio.

    That being said its the least known secret in the NHL that he'd like to come to N.Y. and that we'd most like to have him.
    Acqua in bocca

  3. #3
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,384
    Rep Power
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    Guess i should start listening to Edmonton TSN 1260 to get my Ranger news. Lord knows you never hear it on Sirius or local N.Y. Radio.

    That being said its the least known secret in the NHL that he'd like to come to N.Y. and that we'd most like to have him.
    He's going to have a bunch of suitors.
    Rangers are going to have to probably offer him $11 million per year while teams in no tax states can offer about $9 million per year.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,663
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    He's going to have a bunch of suitors.
    Rangers are going to have to probably offer him $11 million per year while teams in no tax states can offer about $9 million per year.
    I think that's probably close...maybe $10.5 a year for 7 years. Dude's been a PPG player since he stepped foot in this league. I still think the NYC draw is huge...especially to European players. I'd love to see him part of this team.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    643
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    He's going to have a bunch of suitors.
    Rangers are going to have to probably offer him $11 million per year while teams in no tax states can offer about $9 million per year.
    Taxes are pro rated, so the local tax rate is only applied to half, and the difference is not that big. Still, an $11 million offer from NYR would be the equivalent of perhaps a $10.5 offer from a no tax team, which is only five teams in the league (Florida, Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, and Arizona). I'd be a little more worried about the Islanders catching his fancy if they look like they are much closer to being a contender, but there is a decent chance their bubble is bursting, or a least deflating a bit.

  6. #6
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,441
    Rep Power
    305
    Max dollars, 4 years. That would fit perfect.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,353
    Rep Power
    115
    I’m all for it.
    GORTON 2020

  8. #8
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,586
    Rep Power
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Max dollars, 4 years. That would fit perfect.
    I fear anything short term. It would encourage management to go all-in 1 last (first) time with Henrik.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Rep Power
    35
    So you advocate 7 year long term contracts? Would that somehow alter any decision regarding all in on Henrik?

  10. #10
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,586
    Rep Power
    331
    No, I advocate giving out appropriate contracts at the right time.

    Going 7-years hopefully gets management to focus on the 7-year "Panarin window" and not the 2-year "Henrik Window"
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Rep Power
    35
    Not signing panarin would be appropriate for the window the rangers are in.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    744
    Rep Power
    27
    Why would he take a four year deal?

    Can almost hear him laughing from here.

  13. #13
    day-to-day Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    95
    Salary cap continues to increase
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...cap-1882m-2019

    Key for me is number of years.
    https://www.nhl.com/player/artemi-panarin-8478550

    My guess is someone is going to offer 7 years.

    Can Rangers be competitive with a max contract for four or five years? If less salary in year 6? Is a no move cause required?

    Since Panarin will be in demand, his agent is going to be able to get a sweet deal.

    I don't want to be in a buyout situation in year 6 because of a NMC. Resist the shiny toy if the price is too steep. Which is not something Rangers management has been good with in the past.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,694
    Rep Power
    67
    7x11, 10-15 team NTC. Done. Would be the most talented Ranger skater since Jagr.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,663
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    7x11, 10-15 team NTC. Done. Would be the most talented Ranger skater since Jagr.
    Yep. That's right around what I'm thinking he'll end up getting and I'm hoping we'll be the ones that do it.

  16. #16
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,653
    Rep Power
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Why would he take a four year deal?

    Can almost hear him laughing from here.
    Why wouldn't he?

    He's 27. A max deal is 20% of the cap. So thats...16.75m/y in 2019-20. He probably won't get that - but there's a certain wisdom in taking a 3-4 year deal at, say, 14-ish m/y and betting on himself.

    He takes the 7 year, 70m now, or he can take 4/55 (or whatever) and bet on himself being able to do better than 3y/15m on his deal at age 31. Probably a safe bet, and frankly, it's how a 26-27 year old FA should actually play this game to maximize dollars.

    It's a win win. Dude gets a sick payday, team gets less commitment against the cap.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  17. #17
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,653
    Rep Power
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I fear anything short term. It would encourage management to go all-in 1 last (first) time with Henrik.
    I'm not super in on the idea of going all-in, but if we happen to pull the draft lottery out of our ass, our team could look VERY different next year in a pretty positive way.

    We still don't have a defense, though.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  18. #18
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,240
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'm not super in on the idea of going all-in, but if we happen to pull the draft lottery out of our ass, our team could look VERY different next year in a pretty positive way.

    We still don't have a defense, though.
    Having better forwards will help the D.

    So will Karlsson. If you're going after Panarin, you might as well go for EK.

  19. #19
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,653
    Rep Power
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Having better forwards will help the D.

    So will Karlsson. If you're going after Panarin, you might as well go for EK.
    I'm not at all enthused by the idea of going after EK. I'm starting to think he's playing on one leg, and damn it if we're going to be the ones with the frigging brinks truck without that certainty.

    I'd watch the shit out of a team like the one below, though. Plucking Panarin basically ensures Vladdy and Vesey can take a hike though - and I bet we can get a solid enough defender or two for either/both.

    Panarin-Zibanejad-Chytil
    Kreider-Hughes-Kravtsov
    Vesey-Strome-Buchnevich
    Lemieux-Andersson-Fast
    Last edited by G1000; 03-11-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  20. #20
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,441
    Rep Power
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Why wouldn't he?

    He's 27. A max deal is 20% of the cap. So thats...16.75m/y in 2019-20. He probably won't get that - but there's a certain wisdom in taking a 3-4 year deal at, say, 14-ish m/y and betting on himself.

    He takes the 7 year, 70m now, or he can take 4/55 (or whatever) and bet on himself being able to do better than 3y/15m on his deal at age 31. Probably a safe bet, and frankly, it's how a 26-27 year old FA should actually play this game to maximize dollars.

    It's a win win. Dude gets a sick payday, team gets less commitment against the cap.
    Exactly. Thanks.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •