Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: CHANGE the Playoff Format (For the millionth time)

  1. #41
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,088
    Rep Power
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    U love everything concerning men
    Also love observing men.

  2. #42
    Banned Midget Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,753
    Rep Power
    63
    lol...perv


    Loving it

  3. #43
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,422
    Rep Power
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Love this idea.
    I donít want a bunch of 10pm games, though. Fuck. Imagine 4 rds of 10pm games with OTs and crap.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #44
    Banned Midget Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,753
    Rep Power
    63
    What?

  5. #45
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    589
    Rep Power
    19
    [QUOTE=CCCP;959958]when it was 1 vs 8 playoff format, I thought It was uninteresting. you knew that the top team would beat the 8th seed, what was the point watching?

    Not so at all, there was one year when 8 won both of those match ups if memory serves me. There were a good number of 8s who beat 1s; I recall counting them over some years and being surprised. The Rangers at 8 beat Quebec at 1 in 1995. In any event, you still have 1 playing the second wild card, who is almost always No. 8.

  6. #46
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,088
    Rep Power
    531
    Sharks beat stacked Wings team back in the day.

  7. #47
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,045
    Rep Power
    337
    Why are we talking about 1/8 and 2/7 matchups? Has nothing to do with anything, that hasn’t changed.

    The issue is you’re taking home ice advantage away from a team (Currently Leafs) that should 1. Have it. 2. Be playing a lesser opponent in the standings in the opening round. Leafs would host Isles right now. Rivalries? Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  8. #48
    Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,556
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Why are we talking about 1/8 and 2/7 matchups? Has nothing to do with anything, that hasn’t changed.

    The issue is you’re taking home ice advantage away from a team (Currently Leafs) that should 1. Have it. 2. Be playing a lesser opponent in the standings in the opening round. Leafs would host Isles right now. Rivalries? Lol
    This. 1 still plays 8 as it currently stands. 2 doesn't necessarily play 7 though. In most cases, yes you are right, but if the season ended right now that's not how it would work out. 1 division in both conferences are home to the top two teams in their respective conference. So this year, for example, you'd have 1/8 and 3/7. Actually looking at the East you'd have 1/8 and 4/7. I think this is where BrooklynBoy89's argument is stemming from.

    To throw my opinion in the mix, I think each format has its own merits. Ignoring divisions and qualifying 1-8 in the conference did a better job of insuring the better teams had home ice and a better path at facing each other in the later rounds. I think this is the best format to ensure the most competitive playoff.
    What I like about the current format is it makes you have to get out of your own divisional playoff in order to play for the conference championship, and ultimately the Stanley Cup. Or at least that's how it should be. Hopefully with the addition of Seattle in a few years balancing the conferences the NHL will drop this stupid wild card format and just make it 1/4 and 2/3 in each division(if they don't go back to conference 1/8, 2/7, etc). Advancing from your divisional bracket and beating the winner of the opposing division in the conference final, and then moving on to play for the Stanley Cup, in my opinion, is the purest way of holding a playoff.

    Both formats have their merits.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Bantam Division BrooklynBoy89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,416
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Why are we talking about 1/8 and 2/7 matchups? Has nothing to do with anything, that hasnít changed.

    The issue is youíre taking home ice advantage away from a team (Currently Leafs) that should 1. Have it. 2. Be playing a lesser opponent in the standings in the opening round. Leafs would host Isles right now. Rivalries? Lol
    This. 100%

  10. #50
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,045
    Rep Power
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    This. 1 still plays 8 as it currently stands. 2 doesn't necessarily play 7 though. In most cases, yes you are right, but if the season ended right now that's not how it would work out. 1 division in both conferences are home to the top two teams in their respective conference. So this year, for example, you'd have 1/8 and 3/7. Actually looking at the East you'd have 1/8 and 4/7. I think this is where BrooklynBoy89's argument is stemming from.

    To throw my opinion in the mix, I think each format has its own merits. Ignoring divisions and qualifying 1-8 in the conference did a better job of insuring the better teams had home ice and a better path at facing each other in the later rounds. I think this is the best format to ensure the most competitive playoff.
    What I like about the current format is it makes you have to get out of your own divisional playoff in order to play for the conference championship, and ultimately the Stanley Cup. Or at least that's how it should be. Hopefully with the addition of Seattle in a few years balancing the conferences the NHL will drop this stupid wild card format and just make it 1/4 and 2/3 in each division(if they don't go back to conference 1/8, 2/7, etc). Advancing from your divisional bracket and beating the winner of the opposing division in the conference final, and then moving on to play for the Stanley Cup, in my opinion, is the purest way of holding a playoff.

    Both formats have their merits.
    Right, right ... 1 plays 8 and 2 / 7 could be different. All the more reason to change it. Lol

    Also, trying to force rivalries hasn’t worked and won’t ever work. Try to force a pass up the middle, it gets picked off and ends up in the back of your own net. Try to force a square peg in a round hole won’t work either. Just let it all fall naturally.
    2 division winners get 1-2 seeds. 3-8 fall where they may.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  11. #51
    Senior Member Bantam Division BrooklynBoy89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,416
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Right, right ... 1 plays 8 and 2 / 7 could be different. All the more reason to change it. Lol

    Also, trying to force rivalries hasnít worked and wonít ever work. Try to force a pass up the middle, it gets picked off and ends up in the back of your own net. Try to force a square peg in a round hole wonít work either. Just let it all fall naturally.
    2 division winners get 1-2 seeds. 3-8 fall where they may.
    Yeah, leave the divisions as they are, award the two winners the top 2 seeds and go from there. This ensures that if It so happens that the top 3 teams in the East are all in the same division, at least for the first round, all 3 of those teams would get home ice. It is so easy for them to make the switch to that ASAP.. doesnít throw Off anything. We have seen far too many years already where the 2/3 matchup has 2 of the top teams in the conference facing off WAY too early.

  12. #52
    day-to-day Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    4,682
    Rep Power
    95
    with Seattle entering the league, opportunity to shuffle the conference/division structure and 'force' rivalries - prioritize which ones you want to keep. Also opportunity to make more radical changes to seeding and playoffs.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  13. #53
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    589
    Rep Power
    19
    1 is still usually playing 8, but the first Wild Card is often better than the No. 3 in the weaker division, so 2 frequently does not get 7. Also, the division winner who faces the first Wild Card is often not No. 2 in points. No. 2 in the stronger division is often better than the winner in the weaker division and gets shafted by having to play the No. 3 in the stronger division, who may be 3 or 4 overall. It's all messed up and presents numerous scenarios where it is advantageous to lose late in the season, which has already happened repeatedly. The idea that it is all fostering some rivalries or fan interest is inane.

  14. #54
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,422
    Rep Power
    325
    So, not happening. NHL & NHLPA agree to continue format for another season.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •