• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

GMs Approve Concepts for Rule Changes Regarding Player Safety, Offense

Phil

On the safety side, the GMs want a rule that will penalize players who don't leave the ice immediately after their helmets fall off.

George Parros, NHL senior vice president of player safety, said the League is the only one in the world that doesn't currently have a rule governing players losing their helmets in the flow of play.

The GMs will also propose a rule that will allow the team starting a power play to choose which side of the ice they want to have the face-off. The location is currently decided by which side of the ice the puck went out of play or was touched.

It would only be for the first face-off on the power play.

The GMs were also in favor of recommending a rule change to keep the face-off in the end zone when a puck is shot out of play by an attacking player. The face-off is now held outside the end zone if a shot by the attacking team goes out of play without touching anything.

The GMs are also considering a recommendation to prevent teams from changing lines if their goalie freezes the puck on shots that come from outside the blue line. The emphasis is on pace of play and keeping the game moving.

https://www.nhl.com/news/gms-approve-concepts-for-player-safety-rule-changes-at-meetings/c-305492838

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

On the safety side, the GMs want a rule that will penalize players who don't leave the ice immediately after their helmets fall off.

George Parros, NHL senior vice president of player safety, said the League is the only one in the world that doesn't currently have a rule governing players losing their helmets in the flow of play.

Seems like a no-brainer.

The GMs will also propose a rule that will allow the team starting a power play to choose which side of the ice they want to have the face-off. The location is currently decided by which side of the ice the puck went out of play or was touched.

It would only be for the first face-off on the power play.

I don't really understand why. Seems reasonable that the puck is dropped from the nearest point of stoppage in play, but it's not a huge deal.

The GMs were also in favor of recommending a rule change to keep the face-off in the end zone when a puck is shot out of play by an attacking player. The face-off is now held outside the end zone if a shot by the attacking team goes out of play without touching anything.

I'm not sure about this one. It could open up a can of worms. What's stopping me from snapping a wrist shot over the glass if I don't like my options as an attacking player?

The GMs are also considering a recommendation to prevent teams from changing lines if their goalie freezes the puck on shots that come from outside the blue line. The emphasis is on pace of play and keeping the game moving.

This is a good thing. Forcing goaltenders to play the puck from dump ins will almost certainly have an effect on pace of play. It'll probably generate quite a few scoring opportunities as well.

Seems like a no-brainer.

I don't really understand why. Seems reasonable that the puck is dropped from the nearest point of stoppage in play, but it's not a huge deal.

I'm not sure about this one. It could open up a can of worms. What's stopping me from snapping a wrist shot over the glass if I don't like my options as an attacking player?

This is a good thing. Forcing goaltenders to play the puck from dump ins will almost certainly have an effect on pace of play. It'll probably generate quite a few scoring opportunities as well.

Regarding faceoffs... If you've got a center who's by far better on one side, it helps.

It can be advantageous for the attacking team, but my point was I'm not sure that rule change makes sense or is needed. Why shouldn't they drop the puck from the nearest point?

Is there a need to give the team going on the PP a slight advantage?

To be honest I don't really give a shit, it's not like it's a huge change, it just seems a bit redundant. And this seemed like a good opportunity to get my daily moan in.

It can be advantageous for the attacking team, but my point was I'm not sure that rule change makes sense or is needed. Why shouldn't they drop the puck from the nearest point?

Is there a need to give the team going on the PP a slight advantage?

To be honest I don't really give a shit, it's not like it's a huge change, it just seems a bit redundant. And this seemed like a good opportunity to get my daily moan in.

Yea, I guess that's the thinking. PP gives you an automatic faceoff in the O zone where you pick the side you want the draw on and don't have to put your stick down first. That's a pretty good advantage.

Yeah, definitely advantageous. Some of these guys are definitely stronger on one side.

During the TSN broadcast last night, I think Dreger commented about Sakic's opinion on this proposed change. Sakic said something along the lines of, "yeah, always my backhand," and I think Sakic might know a thing or two about taking faceoffs and what would be advantageous.

Edit, found the quote.

I can tell you, there are general managers here who are applauding the idea of the faceoff option, one of them of course is Hall of Fame centreman [and Colorado Avalanche GM] Joe Sakic. He says I love the idea because automatically it allows you to set up and we asked him, given the option back in your day, what would he have preferred and he said, I?m going to my backhand every single time.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-changes-to-the-game-coming-in-2019-2020-1.1268455

Right, but I'm not saying it isn't advantageous.

I'm saying I'm not sure that's a necessary change to the rules. I'm also a bit confused now as to whether the idea is that the puck is dropped in the O-Zone at the start of the power play regardless of where play stopped. If that's the case it's a huge advantage to the attacking team.

Right, but I'm not saying it isn't advantageous.

I'm saying I'm not sure that's a necessary change to the rules. I'm also a bit confused now as to whether the idea is that the puck is dropped in the O-Zone at the start of the power play regardless of where play stopped. If that's the case it's a huge advantage to the attacking team.

they made the change last year that the team with the power play always gets an offensive zone draw to start it. No matter where the fuck was frozen.

I don't think u can ice the puck when called for penalty. the wshistle will blow once the puck is touched

Rangers are in their own zone, Strome takes a high stick to the face, delayed called. Smith gets the puck with no one in front of him and ices the puck.

Faceoff is in the opponents zone

This is all really inconsequential stuff. Given that literally everyone hates the offside review as now constituted, how about reforming that? First, instead of putting reviewers in the impossible position of determining whether a back skate on the blue line is on or off the ice, why not make it that the back skate must be within the plane of the blue line and forget about trying to determine if it is an inch off the ice or not? Second, how about no review if the goal is scored more than say six or seven seconds after the play entered the zone?

This is all really inconsequential stuff. Given that literally everyone hates the offside review as now constituted, how about reforming that? First, instead of putting reviewers in the impossible position of determining whether a back skate on the blue line is on or off the ice, why not make it that the back skate must be within the plane of the blue line and forget about trying to determine if it is an inch off the ice or not? Second, how about no review if the goal is scored more than say six or seven seconds after the play entered the zone?

Good with the first change, not with the second. Also I don't mind the offside review. I think it's good.

Archived