Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kids Have Fight: Skeleton Squad Rangers Making Most of Remainder of Season

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I’m not sure. Do the Rangers really need that cap space between October and February next season?
    We got him for Ryan Spooner, and Im not sure his value has risen that much in his stint with the Rangers. I’m not convinced there’s a good market for him in the summer, and if he keeps it up next season his value at the deadline would probably be as good as it is now. If I’m wrong and there is a decent market for him then by all means. But Im in no rush to move him in the off season.
    His value isn't going to get any higher than it is.

No, you don't need the cap space now, but he's not going to turn into a 20-goal guy. I'd rather not wait until the deadline and see his value plummet. The fact that his value isn't going to get higher is exactly why I'd move him now.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    His value isn't going to get any higher than it is.

No, you don't need the cap space now, but he's not going to turn into a 20-goal guy. I'd rather not wait until the deadline and see his value plummet. The fact that his value isn't going to get higher is exactly why I'd move him now.
    last year of his contract. lots of players elevate their play in the last year of their contracts. it's not out of the question he may score 20 next season and we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    It's not out of the question he may score 20 next season.
    Yes it is

Banned Junior Division
    Yes it is
    im trying to be optimistic here.

im trying to be optimistic here.
    Lol, I think Strome scoring 20 goals is really negative, because it means he's playing top-6 minutes. That's a pretty huge problem for the state of the rebuild, I think.

Banned Junior Division
    Lol, I think Strome scoring 20 goals is really negative, because it means he's playing top-6 minutes. That's a pretty huge problem for the state of the rebuild, I think.
    if he deserves it and someone like Chytil doesn't, why not?

if he deserves it and someone like Chytil doesn't, why not?
    Because it means that your team is terrible and that Chytil hasn't developed.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    For what purpose? They could sniff the playoffs next year, but that won't be because he is or isn't there.

The reason you dump him now is so that you move him to a team who thinks he can be a 40-point player. If you hold him next year and he ends up with 15 points, you won't get anything for him. His value won't get higher than it is as a 35-point player on an expiring contract.

I don't know if there'd be a market for him at the draft - probably not - but if someone offered me a 4th for him, I'd take it and not think twice. If you're really worried about filling out your bottom 6, just replace him with <insert generic veteran bottom-6 forward here>.

Think of it this way, would you trade 35-point Strome for a 4th, Jordan Weal, and $1.5m cap space?
    I mean, replace him with Andersson. You're probably getting roughly the same level of play.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    not Strome's problem

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I think this is the complete wrong way to look at the rebuild. This is the same thinking that labels Andersson as a bust at 20yo because he was drafted 7th. Who cares who developes in what roles so long as there’s development? Strome scoring 20 would be amazing. Just like Chytil scoring 20 would be amazing. As long as players are filling roles and the team is getting better who cares which player is doing what?
    GORTON 2020

not Strome's problem
    I never said it is...Just that it's not an optimistic view.

Ulness you're more of a Strome fan than a NYR fan lol

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yea I like him too, but you can't keep him at $4m long term, same as Namestnikov.

Those guys have inflated roles right now because of how bad this team is, but on a contender, they're 4th liners. Strome - Namestnikov - Fast is a contending 4th line, the problem is that two of those guys are paid too much. On a team that probably isn't going to contend next year, but might the year after, you've got to dump at least 1, and I think Strome is the one you try to move first. Plus he's a UFA after this year, so you might as well try to get a pick. Assuming they spend in FA this year...

Kreider - Zib - Vesey
    Panarin - Howden - Chytil
    Lemieux - Lias - Buch
    Strome - Names - Fast

Nieves

You just can't do that, and this doesn't even include Kravtsov coming over.
    Howden isn't a second liner and I'd probably say Names is moved well before Strome.

You can't just have kids all over the lineup. Strome is a utility guy you can slot anywhere. If he likes NY and you can get him at $4 mil, I do that all day every day. Just don't buy UFA years.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Howden isn't a second liner and I'd probably say Names is moved well before Strome.

You can't just have kids all over the lineup. Strome is a utility guy you can slot anywhere. If he likes NY and you can get him at $4 mil, I do that all day every day. Just don't buy UFA years.
    44-pt Anisimov centered Panarin and Kane.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie

Strome - Namestnikov - Fast is going to be playing 20+ a night next season.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

Then you're only signing him for one more year. He's going to be 26 when the season starts.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    44-pt Anisimov centered Panarin and Kane.
    Not when he was 22.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Then you're only signing him for one more year. He's going to be 26 when the season starts.
    When does he hit UFA?

Namestnikov is better than Strome and has actually been effective in a top-6 role. I don't think Howden is really a top-6 C, but I'm just throwing names in there. But yea, you keep one or the other, not both.

To Josh' point, if he's playing with talent on the other side, they need a responsible C, not a playmaker. So Howden, Namestnikov, whatever. They don't necessarily need a top-6 C there, because they aren't going to have to drive play.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Namestnikov is better than Strome and has actually been effective in a top-6 role. I don't think Howden is really a top-6 C, but I'm just throwing names in there. But yea, you keep one or the other, not both.

To Josh' point, if he's playing with talent on the other side, they need a responsible C, not a playmaker. So Howden, Namestnikov, whatever. They don't necessarily need a top-6 C there, because they aren't going to have to drive play.
    You're gonna have to to better than "better" considering Names were 25 games without a goal.

When does he hit UFA?
    21-22

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast