Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: The Kids Have Fight: Skeleton Squad Rangers Making Most of Remainder of Season

  1. #1
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,054
    Rep Power
    473

    The Kids Have Fight: Skeleton Squad Rangers Making Most of Remainder of Season

    Having stripped down their club for parts and futures at the trade deadline just over a week ago, the New York Rangers have entered a skeletal state for the second straight year. Only this time, much of what’s left isn’t flotsam from the wreck, but pieces much more likely to define the success of this rebuild over the coming seasons.
    It’s no coincidence, either, that despite their winless record since the deadline in which the team has gone 0-1-2 over their last three games, and 0-1-3 just prior to it, the quality of their games played has been markedly improved. It’s almost like many of these youngsters are playing like they’ve got something to lose — like the roster spots they’ve suddenly found themselves in possession of.

    Brendan Lemieux, acquired in the Hayes trade to the Winnipeg Jets, has been a physical presence in each game he’s dressed for, including a particularly memorable Rangers’ debut filled with piss and vinegar. If you’re failing to find an unfinished check or scrum he’s passed up an opportunity to enter since he’s come to New York, it’s because there hasn’t been one.
    Meanwhile, on the blue line, DeAngelo has arguably found the biggest role among this growing core of young building blocks. Not only is he running point on the club’s first power-play unit — ranked 15th in the league — but he was the most productive defender on the team through the month of February. His 11 points — all assists — topped next-best Kevin Shattenkirk’s seven points (also all apples) in one fewer game (12). He has a point in nine of the team’s last 10 contests.

    DeAngelo, who established a single-game career-high in ice time (26:32) in the 4-3 overtime loss to the Lightning on February 27, has also been a physical presence in most of his games both prior to and following the deadline. This is of particular interest given he’s seemingly no longer playing under much threat of being made a healthy scratch due to the Rangers’ insistence on carrying eight NHL defenders this entire season, or the perception of “maturity issues” cited in early February that he seems to have bounced back from in a big way.
    https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019...nder-of-season


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,385
    Rep Power
    149
    Maybe DeAngelo is finally starting to grow up
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,612
    Rep Power
    51
    Agree 110% that these kids are fighting for a roster spot. They should be 'encouraged' to keep looking over their shoulders and play like it too. Nobody should be patting them on the back too often to give them a false sense that they 'have arrived.' Work hard. Play hard.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    134
    Watching last years team finish the season was truely one of the most abysmal experiences I’ve had as a fan. This year, it does feel different. The lineup is very young and there are some very positive signs.

    I will also say that having a player like Lemuiex is refreshing and brings big value in terms of entertainment. Each game since the deadline has had more energy than the first 60+.
    GORTON 2020

  5. #5
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,640
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Watching last years team finish the season was truely one of the most abysmal experiences I’ve had as a fan. This year, it does feel different. The lineup is very young and there are some very positive signs.

    I will also say that having a player like Lemuiex is refreshing and brings big value in terms of entertainment. Each game since the deadline has had more energy than the first 60+.
    I think last year's team played pretty hard down the stretch, they weren't awful to watch, thoughthere's a lot more hope at the end of this season than last.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I think last year's team played pretty hard down the stretch, they weren't awful to watch, thoughthere's a lot more hope at the end of this season than last.
    But you knew for a fact that half of that roster would never have a future here.
    GORTON 2020

  7. #7
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,054
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I think last year's team played pretty hard down the stretch, they weren't awful to watch, thoughthere's a lot more hope at the end of this season than last.
    They did, and a few guys looked great (DeAngelo). But that team also had alot of debris. This one doesn't. Or at least has a lot less.

    This was the lineup on the final game of the year:

    Chris Kreider / Mika Zibanejad / Filip Chytil
    Jimmy Vesey / Lias Andersson / Mats Zuccarello
    Ryan Spooner / Kevin Hayes / Steven Fogarty
    Matt Beleskey / Vladislav Namestnikov / Pavel Buchnevich

    Marc Staal / Neal Pionk
    Brady Skjei / Ryan Sproul
    John Gilmour / Rob O'Gara

    And these players were hurt:

    D Kevin Shattenkirk [IR] — Torn meniscus; Out for season
    D Steven Kampfer [IR] — Fractured hand; Out 4-6 weeks
    D Tony DeAngelo [IR] — Sprained ankle; Out 3-4 weeks
    F Jesper Fast [IR] — Groin; Out for season
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #8
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,730
    Rep Power
    134
    Only 10 leftover from an already stripped down roster.
    GORTON 2020

  9. #9
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,640
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    They did, and a few guys looked great (DeAngelo). But that team also had alot of debris. This one doesn't. Or at least has a lot less.

    This was the lineup on the final game of the year:

    Chris Kreider / Mika Zibanejad / Filip Chytil
    Jimmy Vesey / Lias Andersson / Mats Zuccarello
    Ryan Spooner / Kevin Hayes / Steven Fogarty
    Matt Beleskey / Vladislav Namestnikov / Pavel Buchnevich

    Marc Staal / Neal Pionk
    Brady Skjei / Ryan Sproul
    John Gilmour / Rob O'Gara

    And these players were hurt:

    D Kevin Shattenkirk [IR] — Torn meniscus; Out for season
    D Steven Kampfer [IR] — Fractured hand; Out 4-6 weeks
    D Tony DeAngelo [IR] — Sprained ankle; Out 3-4 weeks
    F Jesper Fast [IR] — Groin; Out for season
    I get your point, but there's a lot more debris there because of the injuries. The defense yesterday was exactly the same as this group except Hajek/Gilmour. Strome and Smith are still debris (although I actually like both as depth, they're just too expensive).

    I don't think we talk enough about the character of Zib, Kreider, and Staal, and how they never slipped even after the sell off. Some guys really shrunk at the end of last year - Buch and Skjei, in particular - but those vets deserve a ton of credit for keeping pace last year and the way they've played this year. I'd throw Hayes into that group too, but, RIP.

  10. #10
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,054
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I get your point, but there's a lot more debris there because of the injuries. The defense yesterday was exactly the same as this group except Hajek/Gilmour. Strome and Smith are still debris (although I actually like both as depth, they're just too expensive).

    I don't think we talk enough about the character of Zib, Kreider, and Staal, and how they never slipped even after the sell off. Some guys really shrunk at the end of last year - Buch and Skjei, in particular - but those vets deserve a ton of credit for keeping pace last year and the way they've played this year. I'd throw Hayes into that group too, but, RIP.
    Agreed 100%.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,782
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I get your point, but there's a lot more debris there because of the injuries. The defense yesterday was exactly the same as this group except Hajek/Gilmour. Strome and Smith are still debris (although I actually like both as depth, they're just too expensive).

    I don't think we talk enough about the character of Zib, Kreider, and Staal, and how they never slipped even after the sell off. Some guys really shrunk at the end of last year - Buch and Skjei, in particular - but those vets deserve a ton of credit for keeping pace last year and the way they've played this year. I'd throw Hayes into that group too, but, RIP.
    I really like Strome. Works hard, puts up around a point every other game, can play up and down the lineup if need be, reasonable cap hit. Seems like an excellent guy to have around for a bottom 6 role. I'm in no rush to get rid of him.

  12. #12
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,640
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I really like Strome. Works hard, puts up around a point every other game, can play up and down the lineup if need be, reasonable cap hit. Seems like an excellent guy to have around for a bottom 6 role. I'm in no rush to get rid of him.
    Yea I like him too, but you can't keep him at $4m long term, same as Namestnikov.

    Those guys have inflated roles right now because of how bad this team is, but on a contender, they're 4th liners. Strome - Namestnikov - Fast is a contending 4th line, the problem is that two of those guys are paid too much. On a team that probably isn't going to contend next year, but might the year after, you've got to dump at least 1, and I think Strome is the one you try to move first. Plus he's a UFA after this year, so you might as well try to get a pick. Assuming they spend in FA this year...

    Kreider - Zib - Vesey
    Panarin - Howden - Chytil
    Lemieux - Lias - Buch
    Strome - Names - Fast

    Nieves

    You just can't do that, and this doesn't even include Kravtsov coming over.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,782
    Rep Power
    68
    His cap hit is 3.1 isn’t it?

  14. #14
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,640
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    His cap hit is 3.1 isn’t it?
    Yea...I wasn't clear, he's probably going to get closer to $4m after next year. But even at $3m, I'd say the same thing. I don't want to pay that for a 4th liner especially not with another one at the same price already.

    The reason I'd keep Namestnikov over Strome is that I think he'd be a lot more able to slot up and play with a Panarin - plus he's just better in general. Stome's also definitely not a .5ppg player. He's shooting 19.6%, that will definitely come down eventually.

  15. #15
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,054
    Rep Power
    473
    His cap hit is $3.1 million with one year to go. He's then an RFA (final year) and will likely be looking for some level of security, meaning he's probably angling for a multi-year deal, not a one-year to take him straight to free agency.

    He's a 0.43 P/GP player with the Rangers thus far. If that keeps up (it won't, but for arguments sake), he's a 35-point player in UFA, which means, as Mike said, he's getting $4 million-plus from someone, and that shouldn't be the Rangers, because you don't pay fourth-line players $4 million. You don't even pay them $2 million.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,782
    Rep Power
    68
    Well sure.
    They don’t need to sign him, what I meant is I’ll happily keep him for next season.
    So no rush to trade him in the summer.

  17. #17
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,054
    Rep Power
    473
    Next season isn't a problem. Keeping him will be.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #18
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,782
    Rep Power
    68
    I agree, but a lot of people seem to think he should be gone in the summer. If he gets you something you want at the draft, sure, but there’s no need to rush based on what I said above. He’ll be a good piece next season.

  19. #19
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,640
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    He’ll be a good piece next season.
    For what purpose? They could sniff the playoffs next year, but that won't be because he is or isn't there.

    The reason you dump him now is so that you move him to a team who thinks he can be a 40-point player. If you hold him next year and he ends up with 15 points, you won't get anything for him. His value won't get higher than it is as a 35-point player on an expiring contract.

    I don't know if there'd be a market for him at the draft - probably not - but if someone offered me a 4th for him, I'd take it and not think twice. If you're really worried about filling out your bottom 6, just replace him with <insert generic veteran bottom-6 forward here>.

    Think of it this way, would you trade 35-point Strome for a 4th, Jordan Weal, and $1.5m cap space?
    Last edited by Future; 03-06-2019 at 11:49 AM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,782
    Rep Power
    68
    I’m not sure. Do the Rangers really need that cap space between October and February next season?
    We got him for Ryan Spooner, and Im not sure his value has risen that much in his stint with the Rangers. I’m not convinced there’s a good market for him in the summer, and if he keeps it up next season his value at the deadline would probably be as good as it is now. If I’m wrong and there is a decent market for him then by all means. But Im in no rush to move him in the off season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •