• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Have Fight: Skeleton Squad Rangers Making Most of Remainder of Season

Phil

Having stripped down their club for parts and futures at the trade deadline just over a week ago, the New York Rangers have entered a skeletal state for the second straight year. Only this time, much of what?s left isn?t flotsam from the wreck, but pieces much more likely to define the success of this rebuild over the coming seasons.

It?s no coincidence, either, that despite their winless record since the deadline in which the team has gone 0-1-2 over their last three games, and 0-1-3 just prior to it, the quality of their games played has been markedly improved. It?s almost like many of these youngsters are playing like they?ve got something to lose ? like the roster spots they?ve suddenly found themselves in possession of.

Brendan Lemieux, acquired in the Hayes trade to the Winnipeg Jets, has been a physical presence in each game he?s dressed for, including a particularly memorable Rangers? debut filled with piss and vinegar. If you?re failing to find an unfinished check or scrum he?s passed up an opportunity to enter since he?s come to New York, it?s because there hasn?t been one.

Meanwhile, on the blue line, DeAngelo has arguably found the biggest role among this growing core of young building blocks. Not only is he running point on the club?s first power-play unit ? ranked 15th in the league ? but he was the most productive defender on the team through the month of February. His 11 points ? all assists ? topped next-best Kevin Shattenkirk?s seven points (also all apples) in one fewer game (12). He has a point in nine of the team?s last 10 contests.

DeAngelo, who established a single-game career-high in ice time (26:32) in the 4-3 overtime loss to the Lightning on February 27, has also been a physical presence in most of his games both prior to and following the deadline. This is of particular interest given he?s seemingly no longer playing under much threat of being made a healthy scratch due to the Rangers? insistence on carrying eight NHL defenders this entire season, or the perception of ?maturity issues? cited in early February that he seems to have bounced back from in a big way.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/3/5/18251126/the-kids-have-fight-skeleton-squad-rangers-making-most-of-remainder-of-season

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching last years team finish the season was truely one of the most abysmal experiences I’ve had as a fan. This year, it does feel different. The lineup is very young and there are some very positive signs.

I will also say that having a player like Lemuiex is refreshing and brings big value in terms of entertainment. Each game since the deadline has had more energy than the first 60+.

Watching last years team finish the season was truely one of the most abysmal experiences I’ve had as a fan. This year, it does feel different. The lineup is very young and there are some very positive signs.

I will also say that having a player like Lemuiex is refreshing and brings big value in terms of entertainment. Each game since the deadline has had more energy than the first 60+.

I think last year's team played pretty hard down the stretch, they weren't awful to watch, thoughthere's a lot more hope at the end of this season than last.

I think last year's team played pretty hard down the stretch, they weren't awful to watch, thoughthere's a lot more hope at the end of this season than last.

They did, and a few guys looked great (DeAngelo). But that team also had alot of debris. This one doesn't. Or at least has a lot less.

This was the lineup on the final game of the year:

Chris Kreider / Mika Zibanejad / Filip Chytil

Jimmy Vesey / Lias Andersson / Mats Zuccarello

Ryan Spooner / Kevin Hayes / Steven Fogarty

Matt Beleskey / Vladislav Namestnikov / Pavel Buchnevich

Marc Staal / Neal Pionk

Brady Skjei / Ryan Sproul

John Gilmour / Rob O'Gara

And these players were hurt:

D Kevin Shattenkirk [iR] — Torn meniscus; Out for season

D Steven Kampfer [iR] — Fractured hand; Out 4-6 weeks

D Tony DeAngelo [iR] — Sprained ankle; Out 3-4 weeks

F Jesper Fast [iR] — Groin; Out for season

They did, and a few guys looked great (DeAngelo). But that team also had alot of debris. This one doesn't. Or at least has a lot less.

This was the lineup on the final game of the year:

Chris Kreider / Mika Zibanejad / Filip Chytil

Jimmy Vesey / Lias Andersson / Mats Zuccarello

Ryan Spooner / Kevin Hayes / Steven Fogarty

Matt Beleskey / Vladislav Namestnikov / Pavel Buchnevich

Marc Staal / Neal Pionk

Brady Skjei / Ryan Sproul

John Gilmour / Rob O'Gara

And these players were hurt:

D Kevin Shattenkirk [iR] — Torn meniscus; Out for season

D Steven Kampfer [iR] — Fractured hand; Out 4-6 weeks

D Tony DeAngelo [iR] — Sprained ankle; Out 3-4 weeks

F Jesper Fast [iR] — Groin; Out for season

I get your point, but there's a lot more debris there because of the injuries. The defense yesterday was exactly the same as this group except Hajek/Gilmour. Strome and Smith are still debris (although I actually like both as depth, they're just too expensive).

I don't think we talk enough about the character of Zib, Kreider, and Staal, and how they never slipped even after the sell off. Some guys really shrunk at the end of last year - Buch and Skjei, in particular - but those vets deserve a ton of credit for keeping pace last year and the way they've played this year. I'd throw Hayes into that group too, but, RIP.

I get your point, but there's a lot more debris there because of the injuries. The defense yesterday was exactly the same as this group except Hajek/Gilmour. Strome and Smith are still debris (although I actually like both as depth, they're just too expensive).

I don't think we talk enough about the character of Zib, Kreider, and Staal, and how they never slipped even after the sell off. Some guys really shrunk at the end of last year - Buch and Skjei, in particular - but those vets deserve a ton of credit for keeping pace last year and the way they've played this year. I'd throw Hayes into that group too, but, RIP.

Agreed 100%.

I really like Strome. Works hard, puts up around a point every other game, can play up and down the lineup if need be, reasonable cap hit. Seems like an excellent guy to have around for a bottom 6 role. I'm in no rush to get rid of him.

I really like Strome. Works hard, puts up around a point every other game, can play up and down the lineup if need be, reasonable cap hit. Seems like an excellent guy to have around for a bottom 6 role. I'm in no rush to get rid of him.

Yea I like him too, but you can't keep him at $4m long term, same as Namestnikov.

Those guys have inflated roles right now because of how bad this team is, but on a contender, they're 4th liners. Strome - Namestnikov - Fast is a contending 4th line, the problem is that two of those guys are paid too much. On a team that probably isn't going to contend next year, but might the year after, you've got to dump at least 1, and I think Strome is the one you try to move first. Plus he's a UFA after this year, so you might as well try to get a pick. Assuming they spend in FA this year...

Kreider - Zib - Vesey

Panarin - Howden - Chytil

Lemieux - Lias - Buch

Strome - Names - Fast

Nieves

You just can't do that, and this doesn't even include Kravtsov coming over.

His cap hit is 3.1 isn’t it?

Yea...I wasn't clear, he's probably going to get closer to $4m after next year. But even at $3m, I'd say the same thing. I don't want to pay that for a 4th liner especially not with another one at the same price already.

The reason I'd keep Namestnikov over Strome is that I think he'd be a lot more able to slot up and play with a Panarin - plus he's just better in general. Stome's also definitely not a .5ppg player. He's shooting 19.6%, that will definitely come down eventually.

His cap hit is $3.1 million with one year to go. He's then an RFA (final year) and will likely be looking for some level of security, meaning he's probably angling for a multi-year deal, not a one-year to take him straight to free agency.

He's a 0.43 P/GP player with the Rangers thus far. If that keeps up (it won't, but for arguments sake), he's a 35-point player in UFA, which means, as Mike said, he's getting $4 million-plus from someone, and that shouldn't be the Rangers, because you don't pay fourth-line players $4 million. You don't even pay them $2 million.

He’ll be a good piece next season.

For what purpose? They could sniff the playoffs next year, but that won't be because he is or isn't there.

The reason you dump him now is so that you move him to a team who thinks he can be a 40-point player. If you hold him next year and he ends up with 15 points, you won't get anything for him. His value won't get higher than it is as a 35-point player on an expiring contract.

I don't know if there'd be a market for him at the draft - probably not - but if someone offered me a 4th for him, I'd take it and not think twice. If you're really worried about filling out your bottom 6, just replace him with .

Think of it this way, would you trade 35-point Strome for a 4th, Jordan Weal, and $1.5m cap space?

I’m not sure. Do the Rangers really need that cap space between October and February next season?

We got him for Ryan Spooner, and Im not sure his value has risen that much in his stint with the Rangers. I’m not convinced there’s a good market for him in the summer, and if he keeps it up next season his value at the deadline would probably be as good as it is now. If I’m wrong and there is a decent market for him then by all means. But Im in no rush to move him in the off season.

I’m not sure. Do the Rangers really need that cap space between October and February next season?

We got him for Ryan Spooner, and Im not sure his value has risen that much in his stint with the Rangers. I’m not convinced there’s a good market for him in the summer, and if he keeps it up next season his value at the deadline would probably be as good as it is now. If I’m wrong and there is a decent market for him then by all means. But Im in no rush to move him in the off season.

His value isn't going to get any higher than it is.

No, you don't need the cap space now, but he's not going to turn into a 20-goal guy. I'd rather not wait until the deadline and see his value plummet. The fact that his value isn't going to get higher is exactly why I'd move him now.

His value isn't going to get any higher than it is.

No, you don't need the cap space now, but he's not going to turn into a 20-goal guy. I'd rather not wait until the deadline and see his value plummet. The fact that his value isn't going to get higher is exactly why I'd move him now.

last year of his contract. lots of players elevate their play in the last year of their contracts. it's not out of the question he may score 20 next season and we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

Archived