Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Re-Call D Libor Hajek

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And they’ve used Pionk as 1D for most of that time...
    Maybe they’re still blinded by that spin-o-Rama end-to-end goal he scored way back when? Hoping for that play at least once a game now is futile at best. LOL

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Playing with Hajek seemed to stabilize Pionk's game a bit, maybe thinking he would need to cover for him at any moment. He looked steadier, though.

Another reason to question what's happening in Hartford. All we've heard this year is that Hajek has been struggling, much further away than anticipated etc etc.
    And then he comes up and looks 100% NHL ready against two tough teams. I've been impressed with him tbh. Nothing flashy but he hasn't been advertised as such either. Fluid skater, moves the puck well, seems to have a good head on him.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Another reason to question what's happening in Hartford. All we've heard this year is that Hajek has been struggling, much further away than anticipated etc etc.
    And then he comes up and looks 100% NHL ready against two tough teams. I've been impressed with him tbh. Nothing flashy but he hasn't been advertised as such either. Fluid skater, moves the puck well, seems to have a good head on him.
    Yea I like his game. Not noticeable is pretty good for a rookie defenseman albeit only in 2 games. And between Pionk, shinguard-kirk (because each of his shots hit someone’s shin guard) and Deangelo it’s nice to have someone back there who seems to focus on playing D in the lineup rather than trying to do too much offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Who said he was struggling? I didn't read any negative articles about him. Only negative I ever saw was Dunny ripping on him for only having 5 points.

Rangers need some d-men that play defense. As said above, I'm happy to finally have someone who's not concerned with points as we do not need any more offensive defensemen.
    GORTON 2020

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Rangers need some d-men that play defense. As said above, I'm happy to finally have someone who's not concerned with points as we do not need any more offensive defensemen.
    D-men that play defense is being phased out like the goon.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    D-men that play defense is being phased out like the goon.
    It is, but unlike the goon, they can still be a valuable asset. Personally, I'd like all my d-men to play D, but what do I know?
    GORTON 2020

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    It is, but unlike the goon, they can still be a valuable asset. Personally, I'd like all my d-men to play D, but what do I know?
    Can I be your assistant? Although, I coach the forwards, but it would be nice to see from the other end of the bench.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Who said he was struggling? I didn't read any negative articles about him. Only negative I ever saw was Dunny ripping on him for only having 5 points.
    Brooks.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/28/its-st...cdonagh-trade/

Brooks, the BSB crew, Carp.
    Can’t recall reading/hearing anything positive about him from Hartford.

Moderator Junior Division
    I'm pretty sure Quinn and Gorton both flat out said that they've liked his game in Hartford.

Quinn, specifically, mentioned that they like his poise and how he moves the puck.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'm pretty sure Quinn and Gorton both flat out said that they've liked his game in Hartford.

Quinn, specifically, mentioned that they like his poise and how he moves the puck.
    Exactly, even the BSB article I think Gravesy is talking about says...

It’s not his defensive game that raises concern. Has he made mistakes or shown his inexperience in Hartford this season at times? Sure. That’s hardly a surprise. This is a 20-year-old making a leap up from juniors to pro hockey, and Hartford is by no means sheltering him. He’s playing against quality AHL talent most nights, and in that regard he doesn’t look out of place. He battles hard and covers his assignments in the defensive zone.
    https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018...bay-defenseman

Outsiders were wondering why he wasn't scoring. The coaches were fine with his progress.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Same. I want 5 Matvichuks and 1 Coffey.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

Yeah, I'm really big on my performance and decision making at work, too. Weird.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Only 5 points in the AHL is a bit surprising, and underwhelming.

But a blogger thinking Hajek was going to be close to an offensive player is... typical for Rangers blogs.
    Stop reading that shit.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Yeah, I'm really big on my performance and decision making at work, too. Weird.
    It's not like Carp and Brooks are out watching Hartford, they don't know anything that we don't. From the organization, nobody has said he's struggled with anything other than consistency which...he's a first-year pro. Of course he's inconsistent.

Mccambridge saying the same things:
    When asked what he feels are the strengths of his game, the 6-2, 204-pound Hajek identified, "Good skating, first pass, and good in the defensive zone," which sounds like the prototype of what every NHL team seeks in a defenseman. McCambridge agrees, seeing potential in Hajek to grow into a truly well-rounded player.

"He's a two-way defenseman, but you want to make sure that the groundwork of his game is being solid and reliable in his own zone, using that strength and the gift that he has, his skating ability, to get pucks back," McCambridge elaborated. "And then, once he has the puck, we can look at that second part, that second element of his game, and that's the ability to get up the ice, to add some offense from the blue line. But if you're not strong in your own zone, if you don't have the puck, then none of that matters. But he's been able to get possession back in our own end, and be aware of how you need to play."

In regards to what Hajek is striving to improve on, McCambridge pointed out that, as is the case with so many young players at the AHL level, "It's consistency. It's, game in, game out, making sure that his game is not having a dropoff. We need him to make sure that every single night, as a coaching staff, we know what we're going to get out of him. And from that consistency, now he has the opportunity to continue to grow and get himself to the next level.

"I really like the mental side of him, being able to turn the page when a mistake does happen, whether it's part of where he is on the ice, or just a matter of being one of the five for a goal-against that are on the ice at that time. We feel like he's been able to have that belief in himself, and learn through video, learn through chalk-talk on where you need to be on the ice. And when you're in those areas, you're able to get the puck back and to play on the offensive side of it. We like the growth, he's a young kid, he comes to the rink to get better every day, and there's a lot of real positives to him right now."

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/haj...ck/c-303019258

Senior Member Squirt Division
    There are still some coaches who want defense and understand that it can turn an expectedly crappy team into a playoff team and division contender. One just moved in across the river, and it explains why he had pretty much zero use for Shattenkirk.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Exactly, even the BSB article I think Gravesy is talking about says...

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018...bay-defenseman

Outsiders were wondering why he wasn't scoring. The coaches were fine with his progress.
    I'm not talking about the coaches. And I'm not talking about his lack of offense. From the same article:

A common theme within these discussions from both the media and the fanbase is an assumption that Libor Hajek will be a notable part of the backline going forward. That seems premature at best.

The Athletic caused somewhat of a brouhaha when they left Hajek exposed in their mock expansion draft for Seattle. No doubt, it defies logic that the Rangers would be contenting giving away a 23-year-old NHL-caliber defenseman.

But that’s putting the cart before the horse.

We don’t need to regurgitate an entire analysis of last year’s deadline trade with Tampa Bay, but the Rangers were thrilled to share publicly how Hajek was a mandatory inclusion in any trade they were going to make with Tampa Bay. Despite that, I offered a lukewarm analysis of Hajek over the summer. Now, I’m even less confident in his future.
    This, or versions of it, i.e. Hajek is further away than the Rangers thought, the guy they made a central piece of the McD trade so far isn't living up to expectations etc etc has been a consistent theme for much of the season from various sources.
    Fortunately, it appears they were all wrong so happy days.

I'm not talking about the coaches. And I'm not talking about his lack of offense. From the same article:

This, or versions of it, i.e. Hajek is further away than the Rangers thought, the guy they made a central piece of the McD trade so far isn't living up to expectations etc etc has been a consistent theme for much of the season from various sources.
    Fortunately, it appears they were all wrong so happy days.
    Your not talking about the coaches, but the coaches are the only ones that matter and the coaches don't agree that he is far away and not living up to expectations. That's the fan/media narrative.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast