• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Racist Fans Force Quebec Hockey Player To Leave Game Early With Family

Phil

At Saturday?s game between the Jonquiere Marquis and the St. Jerome Petroliers du Nord in Quebec?s North American Hockey League, Marquis player Jonathan-Ismael Diaby was targeted by racist opposing fans, who taunted him and his family and forced them to leave the game early.

Diaby, who was drafted by the Nashville Predators in 2013, said in his interview with CTV News in Montreal that he was called a ?big nigger,? among other racist taunts. The fans told his father, ?Go back home. You don?t belong here.?

Here?s a description of what happened, via CTV:

When Diaby, who is black, was sent to the penalty box in the first period the so-called ?fans? began shouting racist insults.

One racist kept up a stream of invectives for several minutes as he leaned over the sides of the penalty box to harass Diaby, and waved his arms like a gorilla and showed Diaby images of a baboon on his phone.

Others in the stands said Diaby should be eating bananas.

Players on the ice noticed the harassment and told the racists to stop, but the men continued with their taunts.

They also harassed Diaby?s family, with several people crowding around them, pushing and hitting his father and pouring beer on his girlfriend.

https://deadspin.com/racist-fans-force-quebec-hockey-player-to-leave-game-ea-1832941697?utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Yeah, Quebec suffers from Italian levels of racism. Not surprising. It's a product of their status in this country.

Though, Theo Peckham was playing senior in our local league and said he quit for essentially same reason. Same town/league where my uncle was almost strangled via a 70 year old lady with her purse strap over the glass.

Fans always look for ways to affect the game if you let them, especially when there's 100 years of history against opposing town.

I doubt these people would be anything but sweet to a guy like Peckham in public lol

It always amazes me how entering a sports arena immediately places some people in a frame of mind where they think they can say whatever the fuck they want to someone. Things they wouldn't dream of saying in a pub or on the street. It's as if a human being playing sports against the team you support automatically provides a carte blanche to call them every name under the sun.

In this instance I imagine gorilla-guy is probably a horrible racist in real life too, but you see what appears to be normal people go nuclear the minute they get to the rink/stadium. It's very strange.

I still remember a racist chant I learned as a kid for when 2 kids were fighting that includes a racial slur... you throw a few beers into people at sporting events when passions are high and you are trying to 'get the other team off their game', and people cross a decency line. Players trash talk all the time, and cross that decency line, but in hockey at least they get to fight it out.

you throw a few beers into people at sporting events when passions are high and you are trying to 'get the other team off their game', and people cross a decency line. Players trash talk all the time, and cross that decency line, but in hockey at least they get to fight it out.

Ah that?s okay then?

People who are racist at sports, probably are racist in their everyday life. I doubt it has anything to do with beer, it?s just normalised in certain circumstances because ?they?re are trying to get people off their game?.

Which of course is bullshit. And they are just pricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah that’s okay then?

People who are racist at sports, probably are racist in their everyday life. I doubt it has anything to do with beer, it’s just normalised in certain circumstances because “they’re are trying to get people off their game”.

the "get people off their game" thing was the same excuse people used to defend the people yelling racist shit at Devonte Smith-Pelly last year.

the Rangers fan that got a signed stick from Crosby because of his creative chirps, that's "getting them off their game"

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25676562/sidney-crosby-rewards-chirping-fan-signed-stick

yelling racist shit is just vile and disgusting and there's no place for it.

Ah that’s okay then?

People who are racist at sports, probably are racist in their everyday life. I doubt it has anything to do with beer, it’s just normalised in certain circumstances because “they’re are trying to get people off their game”.

Please point out in my statement where I said it was OK. Because it's not. But it happens. And I only control my own behavior. Not the behavior of others.

Archived