• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade F Kevin Hayes to WPG for F Brendan Lemieux, 2019 1st, Conditional Picks

Phil

Hayes doesn't seem like the type that wants to live in Winnipeg. He seems more like a big city person. The Rangers might have just as good or better of a chance to resign him as anyone else, if that is what they want to do. And they might have told him that.

He loves NY. But this rarely happens. I can't see a realistic scenario where he comes back.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hayes doesn't seem like the type that wants to live in Winnipeg. He seems more like a big city person. The Rangers might have just as good or better of a chance to resign him as anyone else, if that is what they want to do. And they might have told him that.
You could be right, but reading all the chitter-chatter the last few months it appears there were NO serious discussions between his agent and Gorton.

Exactly Kev! That's been the deal with him. He's a wild card and best sent to a place where he can be of service. We're going younger, faster stronger...Hayes won't fit this team mentality here going forward.

The only part that Hayes wouldn't fit was the money he is going to demand,I think it was a smart move by the rangers,this is a rebuilding team they don't need to overpay for Hayes right now

Zuccarello gone...Hayes gone....Kreider not untouchable...the guys we traded last year.....:banghead:

I didn't know we had the 1980's Edmonton Oilers and 1990's Pittsburgh Penguins coming to us via the draft. And with late-1st Round or 2nd or later picks, too.

you hate all.these moves?

The only part that Hayes wouldn't fit was the money he is going to demand,I think it was a smart move by the rangers,this is a rebuilding team they don't need to overpay for Hayes right now

I hear ya Lefty, but by the time this team is ready to compete again, he'd be at least 2-3 years into his current deal...I think anyway

My problem with this isn't that we aren't getting "fair" value -- it's that the NHL is not the NFL. If we were stockpiling 1st-Round picks or 2nd Round or even 3rd Round picks, those have 90%/80%/70% success rates of being impact players within a year or two or three.

Not so in the NHL.

Unless we get super-lucky and hit on a late-1st, we're probably drafting 4th line and 3rd line players at best.

Unless we can package like 2 or 3 or 4 firsts and some seconds to someone in the Top 5 or Top 3 -- and I doubt the other team wants that.

you hate all.these moves?
See my post above.

It's not that I "hate" them -- it's just that what we get back can't really improve us that much.

If we were a horrible, 60 point team (full season) then yeah, the players and picks we get back bring us back to marginal playoff contention.

But do they make us a perennial playoff team...a Cup contender ? No way, IMO.

Of course lemieux is going to have a larger role with the rangers. Does that really need to be said? Look at the rosters. Wionepeg is stacked.

Yea, tomorrow he will have more of a role.

Two years from now? It's a bad bet to think a guy playing 7 a night is going to come in and give you 15:00 productive minutes. Winnipeg is stacked in the top 6, after that there's nothing special.

Probably sign with Boston so he could be close with the Spittin Chiclets dudes

Would they open the vault for a guy like Hayes ? I don't think so.

What I find confusing: the teams with plenty of cap space to give guys like Hayes/Zuke the extra years and bigger AAV are either (1) bad teams (2) small markets. They're not getting that unreal contract from a good team like TB or a rising team like Toronto. Those teams are either paying their own or signing a blue-chipper like Tavares.

I'd love to hear from a hockey agent -- they talk much less than the agents in baseball, football, and basketball -- what their gameplan is for guys like Hayes.

I guess we'll know in a few months. But if he ends up in Arizona for 5 or 6 years @ $7 MM a year, you really have to wonder.

See my post above.

It's not that I "hate" them -- it's just that what we get back can't really improve us that much.

If we were a horrible, 60 point team (full season) then yeah, the players and picks we get back bring us back to marginal playoff contention.

But do they make us a perennial playoff team...a Cup contender ? No way, IMO.

but neither did the guys the rangers traded ,and they where going to cost a lot in the cap world,might as well rebuild ,all the draft picks and prospects picked up by the rangers overt the last few years all help this ranger team

Would they open the vault for a guy like Hayes ? I don't think so.

What I find confusing: the teams with plenty of cap space to give guys like Hayes/Zuke the extra years and bigger AAV are either (1) bad teams (2) small markets. They're not getting that unreal contract from a good team like TB or a rising team like Toronto. Those teams are either paying their own or signing a blue-chipper like Tavares.

I'd love to hear from a hockey agent -- they talk much less than the agents in baseball, football, and basketball -- what their gameplan is for guys like Hayes.

I guess we'll know in a few months. But if he ends up in Arizona for 5 or 6 years @ $7 MM a year, you really have to wonder.

so you would be ok giving Hayes over 7 mill for six years,and not think this would come back and bite you i the rear end

When we win our next Cup it?s likely that no Ranger from the past 3-5 very good seasons will be on that team - Henrik included. We will win the Cup with most, if not all ?new? names we don?t yet know. I wish that was not the case but seriously...

If Lemieux gives us 7 and possibly 10 minutes of Avery/Prust energy and helps us get some swagger back I?m all for it. Put the Ice Capades? skirts away!!

When we win our next Cup it’s likely that no Ranger from the past 3-5 very good seasons will be on that team - Henrik included. We will win the Cup with most, if not all ‘new’ names we’re yet to know. I wish that was not the case but seriously...

If Lemieux gives us 7 and possibly 10 minutes of Avery/Prust energy and helps us get some swagger back I’m all for it. Put the Ice Capades’ skirts away!!

I think the kid's got some talent, big guy. I read in Longtime's post that teams are asking about him already and we just dealt for him! But yeah, the skirts go in the closet for this team going forward.

Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

NYR getting calls on Lemieux pretty much as soon as he was acquired. Likely moves on the Rangers blue line with McQuaid and Claesson expected to go.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I wonder what teams are offering. I have seriously no idea how much he?s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

hope he is a better fighter than his dad,his dad was a great agitator ,but not so good of a fighter ,the refs where his protection,pretty much like Samuelsson

Is that really a concern? I hope he never fights but plays the way his father did...especially in the playoffs!

This isn’t as much about the return the Rangers got from Winnipeg as it is about Kevin Hayes. Because once you accept the fact management never quite bought into No. 13 as a worthy and dependable enough core piece to award a five- or six-year contract extension at somewhere around $6-6.5 million per, then the first-rounder and bottom-six winger Brendan Lemieux acquired from the Jets by general manager Jeff Gorton is a reasonable rental return.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/25/this-trade-confirms-rangers-real-opinion-of-kevin-hayes/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Uncle Larry on Hayes.

Is that really a concern? I hope he never fights but plays the way his father did...especially in the playoffs!
not so much in today s hockey,but if you start something you should finish .

Not saying he should go out there and look to start fighting,but is you are a dirty player or play a grinding game ,except to be challenced

I really hate that condition that if Jets 1st pick manages to be in the top 3 then the Jets keep it and give Rangers 2020 1st. It's not likely but we are talking about the Rangers who don't get lucky very often. [emoji37]

The Jets won't win the draft lottery. Winnipeg finishing outside of the playoffs alone would require a collapse of near-epic proportions.