Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Trade F Kevin Hayes to WPG for F Brendan Lemieux, 2019 1st, Conditional Picks

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I'm trying to think of the last trade that there wasn't at least one person that wasn't happy when it happened...
    It'll never happen. It's the reason I generally stay off twitter. It's not much different here though.
    GORTON 2020

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    If he turns into that, I'll be happy
    I'm with Vodka...I want toughness and he's a Lemieux!!

A #1 and a tough player that can play hard ...gimme!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    The conditional pick is weird. A 1st and a player is plenty, so I guess it's better than having nothing else, but I don't know which GM came up with that essentially worthless idea.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Because you are making your lineup worse and not getting players who make it better in the future.

I have said, for weeks, that this return wasn't enough to make me want to trade Hayes, so I'd extend him.
    I like Hayes and thought he should be extended too. That being said, the concern if you extend him, do you get this year's motivated Kevin Hayes or previous versions where it was questioned if he was truly committed to being all-in? I bet the Rangers had similar concerns hence the trade and not the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I like Hayes and thought he should be extended too. That being said, the concern if you extend him, do you get this year's motivated Kevin Hayes or previous versions where it was questioned if he was truly committed to being all-in? I bet the Rangers had similar concerns hence the trade and not the extension.
    Exactly Kev! That's been the deal with him. He's a wild card and best sent to a place where he can be of service. We're going younger, faster stronger...Hayes won't fit this team mentality here going forward.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Hayes doesn't seem like the type that wants to live in Winnipeg. He seems more like a big city person. The Rangers might have just as good or better of a chance to resign him as anyone else, if that is what they want to do. And they might have told him that.

#BringZuccsBack Bantam Division rangers02's Avatar

Rangers Trade F Kevin Hayes to WPG for 2019 1st, F Brendan Lemieux, Conditional Pick

#KakkoSzn

Senior Member Midget Division
    I'm not in love with Lemieux as a prospect. I still think we should have given them a little something extra, maybe with conditions, to have brought back Niku. Maybe even Hayes & McQuaid for the 1st and Niku.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Hayes doesn't seem like the type that wants to live in Winnipeg. He seems more like a big city person. The Rangers might have just as good or better of a chance to resign him as anyone else, if that is what they want to do. And they might have told him that.
    Probably sign with Boston so he could be close with the Spittin Chiclets dudes

He loves NY. But this rarely happens. I can't see a realistic scenario where he comes back.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Mite Division LeetchFan's Avatar
    You could be right, but reading all the chitter-chatter the last few months it appears there were NO serious discussions between his agent and Gorton.

Zuccarello gone...Hayes gone....Kreider not untouchable...the guys we traded last year.....

I didn't know we had the 1980's Edmonton Oilers and 1990's Pittsburgh Penguins coming to us via the draft. And with late-1st Round or 2nd or later picks, too.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Exactly Kev! That's been the deal with him. He's a wild card and best sent to a place where he can be of service. We're going younger, faster stronger...Hayes won't fit this team mentality here going forward.
    The only part that Hayes wouldn't fit was the money he is going to demand,I think it was a smart move by the rangers,this is a rebuilding team they don't need to overpay for Hayes right now

Quote Originally Posted by LeetchFan View Post
    Zuccarello gone...Hayes gone....Kreider not untouchable...the guys we traded last year.....

I didn't know we had the 1980's Edmonton Oilers and 1990's Pittsburgh Penguins coming to us via the draft. And with late-1st Round or 2nd or later picks, too.
    you hate all.these moves?

Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    The only part that Hayes wouldn't fit was the money he is going to demand,I think it was a smart move by the rangers,this is a rebuilding team they don't need to overpay for Hayes right now
    I hear ya Lefty, but by the time this team is ready to compete again, he'd be at least 2-3 years into his current deal...I think anyway

My problem with this isn't that we aren't getting "fair" value -- it's that the NHL is not the NFL. If we were stockpiling 1st-Round picks or 2nd Round or even 3rd Round picks, those have 90%/80%/70% success rates of being impact players within a year or two or three.

Not so in the NHL.

Unless we get super-lucky and hit on a late-1st, we're probably drafting 4th line and 3rd line players at best.

Unless we can package like 2 or 3 or 4 firsts and some seconds to someone in the Top 5 or Top 3 -- and I doubt the other team wants that.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    you hate all.these moves?
    See my post above.

It's not that I "hate" them -- it's just that what we get back can't really improve us that much.

If we were a horrible, 60 point team (full season) then yeah, the players and picks we get back bring us back to marginal playoff contention.

But do they make us a perennial playoff team...a Cup contender ? No way, IMO.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Of course lemieux is going to have a larger role with the rangers. Does that really need to be said? Look at the rosters. Wionepeg is stacked.
    Yea, tomorrow he will have more of a role.

Two years from now? It's a bad bet to think a guy playing 7 a night is going to come in and give you 15:00 productive minutes. Winnipeg is stacked in the top 6, after that there's nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I hear ya Lefty, but by the time this team is ready to compete again, he'd be at least 2-3 years into his current deal...I think anyway
    I agree

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast