• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time to Sit Hayes and Zuccarello

Shane Falco

Uncle Larry on Hayes and Zucc:

It wasn’t necessarily the money, but rather the contract length asks that turned the negotiations with the players’ agents into non-starters, The Post has learned. Not only are extensions effectively off the table, the prospect of July 1 free-agent reunions are most unrealistic. When Zuccarello and Hayes go, you should expect them to stay gone.

Zuccarello, who agreed under some duress to a club-friendly four-year extension at the 2015 deadline, is believed to be seeking five years this time around. The 31-year-old probably will be able to get it on the open market on July 1, but that type of commitment is not viable for the Rangers. Hayes, who will turn 27 during the playoffs, is believed to be seeking six or seven years. That’s too much for the Blueshirts, who could have signed the center to a five-year deal over the summer but passed.

On Kreider:

The Blueshirts have also received inquiries on Chris Kreider, with the Maple Leafs, Bruins and Predators believed to be three interested parties, but we’re told the winger is only available if general manager Jeff Gorton receives an offer he cannot refuse for No. 20. Thus far, no severed horses’ heads have appeared between the sheets.

Mentions McQuaid as well, but I can't say I disagree with much of what he's saying here. If term on both is accurate, thanks but no thanks.

Right now, we must take every report out there with a pinch of salt.

I think the Rangers are trying to get two messages across:

1) We are completely fine with keeping and extending Zucc and Hayes, so you have to put up a decent offer

2) Despite 1), we don't count on taking them back at July 1st. If you trade for them, they're yours.

I don't think there's anybody out there who actually buys 1) though. If they'd been negotiating since November then sure. But to try and pass off negotiations magically happening 10 days before the deadline? Pull the other one.

Agree with Brooks though. It's bubble wrap time.

I don't think there's anybody out there who actually buys 1) though. If they'd been negotiating since November then sure. But to try and pass off negotiations magically happening 10 days before the deadline? Pull the other one.

Agree with Brooks though. It's bubble wrap time.

Agreed, but it's intelligent to at least try and convey that message. The point is that we shouldn't read too much into anything we hear before monday night - it's all spin.

Uncle Larry on Hayes and Zucc:

On Kreider:

Mentions McQuaid as well, but I can't say I disagree with much of what he's saying here. If term on both is accurate, thanks but no thanks.

More B.S. speculation from Brooks. Yeah. Get rid of 2 of the best the team has to offer; especially while still in the P.O. mix. Then throw in McQuaid who is playing exceptionally well. Typical nonsense.

Makes you believe that nothing is imminent, right? I'm guessing we'll see them moved on Monday rather than any sooner.

A lot of talk around last night/today that prices for Stone & Duchene are too high so teams looking at secondary options so they completely miss out on Monday. Could mean something before the deadline, for the Rangers.

have to keep playing them if you are posturing that you are willing to keep them.

That shit isn’t fooling anybody. And in any case, Zuccarello told Norwegian press "It's highly unlikely I'll be here another 3 days" after the game so the ruse is definitely done.

Playing them is ridiculous.

right... so there's a good argument that getting players injured is a bigger risk or potential cost, with little upside. i'm ready for feb 26 to see who is on the rangers for me to root for. the fan in me is going to be sad when zuccarello leaves, so in my mind I am still doing the if/when Zucc leaves gymnastics. There is a small percentage chance (maybe less than 1%) that there is some snafu with paperwork, undisclosed injury, etc. that Zucc is still a ranger feb 26. But the right deal is better for the franchise. Why fans would be terrible GMs, they get emotionally attached to players, and can't separate out the emotion, and make the cold calculation for what is best for the franchise moving forward, on different time frames (immediate vs 1 year vs 5 year futures). Lots of smart people are paid full time to provide assessments for the decision makers to make hard decisions.

Different teams use different techniques for negotiating with other GMs. For a popular trade deadline target, I'm sure that some GMs like to monitor chatter, and swoop in on the last day with a 'surprise' offer. In other situations, longer negotiations can secure a deal that is in the best interests of both clubs. 31 (soon 32) NHL teams, so lots of interesting manuevering must take place behind the scenes. Strategic leaking, and misinformation campaigns are part of the repertoire. All in a quest for multiple cups - one cup can be dismissed as a flash-in-the-pan. Sustained excellence provides (limited) job security for organizational personnel.

Archived