• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Don Cherry Rips Hurricanes for Celebrations

Phil

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's hypocritical. He's made a name for himself by being as visibly obnoxious as possible while ripping a team for trying to build a fanbase with nontraditional celebrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So he can’t have an opinion against anything off the traditional path because of his flamboyant dressing style? Look, I don’t care about Don Cherry, or whether or not people like him, I’m just saying he’s entitled to an opinion regardless of his wardrobe. I don’t dislike people who enjoy it, I just think it’s ridiculous. They’re not selling games out because of these shenanigans. They’re just as bad as the choreographed td cellies in football. In fact, they’re copying every celly from football, so the shit isn’t even original. Bowling, sledding, limbo, walk off, etc ... all done by NFL teams.

The celebrations are corny and I personally prefer the "act like you've done it before" mantra. But they can do whatever they want, and people tend to forget sports are entertainment. If their fans like the post game celebrations then good for them. They should be prepared for an opposing team to do it on their ice after a big win in the playoffs though.

The celebrations are corny and I personally prefer the "act like you've done it before" mantra. But they can do whatever they want, and people tend to forget sports are entertainment. If their fans like the post game celebrations then good for them. They should be prepared for an opposing team to do it on their ice after a big win in the playoffs though.

I believe a former player already did it on their ice this season, can?t remember who

Larry Brooks

@NYP_Brooksie

Following Following @NYP_Brooksie

More

By all means, let's listen to a guy who didn't know how to count to six in the biggest moment of his coaching career.

Oooooooh, spicy. Larry bringing out the big guns.

Also, how do you embed tweets? I'm losing my mind here.

Oooooooh, spicy. Larry bringing out the big guns.

Also, how do you embed tweets? I'm losing my mind here.

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?21197-Embedding-Tweets&p=954390#post954390

--

As for this; the Canes are trying to build a fanbase. And shit like this is how you do it. They've been pretty much irrelevant for over 10 years and they're a young team that is finally seeing some success.

I liken it to how the Rangers started going to center ice and raising their stick to the fans at the end of games after the lockout ended. It's just trying to have some fun and get the fans involved.

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?21197-Embedding-Tweets&p=954390#post954390

--

As for this; the Canes are trying to build a fanbase. And shit like this is how you do it. They've been pretty much irrelevant for over 10 years and they're a young team that is finally seeing some success.

I liken it to how the Rangers started going to center ice and raising their stick to the fans at the end of games after the lockout ended. It's just trying to have some fun and get the fans involved.

This.

The backlash has put them on a national stage, too, which only benefits them. People are now watching Carolina Hurricanes games, which is more than could be said before this all happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think the win celebrations are dumb. Looks amateur-league, IMO. this is the same league that outlawed jersey tucks, skate lace colors and visor colors when players were trying to show personality, so I cant justify it on that aspect.

I dont care enough about Cherry to listen to what he said, though.

I think the Rangers post-game stick raise needs to stop too. As does the high-fiving everyone on the bench after every goal. Both are played out.

Hockey has a personality problem and people like Don Cherry (ironic) are the reason why.

I personally think their celebrations are lame. But I also think the VGK pregames are lame. You know what though? There are people who love that shit, so let them. Unwritten rules are bulkshit. Let them have fun.

How hot are those "Bunch of Jerks" shirts that the Carolina Hurricanes created to goof on Don Cherry? A little more than 24 hours after they went on sale online, the Hurricanes sold 1,680 shirts. Those sales included 41 states and three countries: the U.S., the Netherlands and, of course, Canada. They go on sale in the Hurricanes team store on Tuesday.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41055855-4

So he can’t have an opinion against anything off the traditional path because of his flamboyant dressing style? Look, I don’t care about Don Cherry, or whether or not people like him, I’m just saying he’s entitled to an opinion regardless of his wardrobe. I don’t dislike people who enjoy it, I just think it’s ridiculous. They’re not selling games out because of these shenanigans. They’re just as bad as the choreographed td cellies in football. In fact, they’re copying every celly from football, so the shit isn’t even original. Bowling, sledding, limbo, walk off, etc ... all done by NFL teams.

yeah, but he looks like a clown and should be taken as such