• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Don Cherry Rips Hurricanes for Celebrations

Phil

One was organic, born from the heat of the game. Many would consider it improper but at least it was spontaneous.

The other is a bunch of grown men embarrassing themselves and the game that has given them so much, but that's its so popular isn't surprising under current societal standards.

Great. Substitute Fleury for Avery, who has said on numerous occasions that he "did his homework" on guys to be able to get under their skin in games, often between whistles (when hockey's not, you know, being played). Still an embarassment?

The greater point here is, I think, that we're trying to argue in the objective over something that is clearly subjective. One side is screaming "that's not art! It's shit! The Mona Lisa is art!" while the other side is saying "I mean, you don't like it, but it's still art. If you don't enjoy it, maybe don't watch?"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Avery stuff was within the game, attempting to affect the outcome of the game. This is not that. Not even close. This is more akin to the closing scenes of Slapshot, where the guy does a strip tease.

Go ahead and enjoy, I don't care, you do you, but I would prefer to maintain my dignity, if I was a player, and I enjoy parochial oddities like tradition and integrity, but I'm in the minority, apparently.

• Like 1

OK, so how did the Rangers' stick salute, that they stole from European clubs, aid in "affecting the outcome of games"?

Again, this is about what I/we like versus what I/we don't. Nothing more.

Nothing, but surely you can see the distinction between that and this. One is tasteful, the other is a farce.

Agreed on second point. I mean, I'm a PGA fan and you're a WWE fan. I bet you could draw the line right there lol.

Nothing, but surely you can see the distinction between that and this. One is tasteful, the other is a farce.

Agreed on second point. I mean, I'm a PGA fan and you're a WWE fan. I bet you could draw the line right there lol.

Is it? Again, objectivity/subjectivity. What you consider tasteful or a farce isn't necessarily what someone else might.

I'd bet money that at the time — that '05 to '07 era — there were numerous fans who hated that post-game celebration and saw it as "soft Euro league pandering," or whatever variaton of it you want to run with. Now? It's tradition, because they stuck with it and saw it through. Those fans probably eventually grumbled into acceptance, or just gave up protesting once they realized it was futile.

I mean, I get it — it's kitschy (I think we can all agree on that), but I don't see the problem with it given they're trying to re-grow a fanbase that's largely left since their Cup run all those years ago. My guess is that teams in "nontraditional" markets need to be a little more open to "nontraditional" means of attracting fans, and I'd imagine whatever data they have probably supports this. Especially if their target is kids, who are certainly more likely to appreciate the juvenile nature of these post-games than adults.

Then again, as as bit of a contrarian, I love seeing the feathers of traditionalists ruffled if for no other reason than to piss them off.

Also, I'm no WWE fan, sir. HOW DARE YOU suggest that. HOW DARE YOU, I say. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
...but they are. Once the team starts sucking again, they'll all crawl right back into the woodwork.

I don't know about that. Hard to blame a fan base for not wanting to spend a lot of money on a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade, and has basically operated on a self-imposed cap.

I don't know about that. Hard to blame a fan base for not wanting to spend a lot of money on a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade, and has basically operated on a self-imposed cap.
Agree. Live Sports is a luxury item these days. I don't think people actually realize how much it cost a family of four to go to a hockey game. Even in Carolina.

Link:

--

Man who wears loud suits and screams on television for attention lambasts team for not celebrating wins in a way he finds appropriate. Oh, the irony.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

haha, that is so the equivalent of the excessive celebration penalty in the NFL