• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Now Negotiating With Hayes, Zuccarello

Phil

There has been a shift in the dynamic as the Rangers approach the Feb. 25 trade deadline.

The Post has learned that general manager Jeff Gorton is now engaged in an ongoing dialogue with the agents for pending free agents Mats Zuccarello and Kevin Hayes as the Blueshirts weigh extending the contracts of two of their best players against the return they might get for either or both on the market.

Cap considerations for 2019-20 and beyond are also a major part of the equation. There is, we are told, considerable distance between the parties, but that is to be expected as the negotiating process with each player is in a relatively early stage. The Blueshirts appear to have approximately $25 million with which to work next season, though the team could clear approximately $7.5 million of space by buying out Kevin Shattenkirk and Brendan Smith. Signing Hayes and Zuccarello would likely amount to between $11.5-and-$12 million.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/alexandar-georgiev-dazzles-again-as-rangers-ease-past-sabres/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Year 2 of Shattenkirk buyout is $6m cap hit. 3.1m for Smith

Pretty much means no Panarin and no Kreider.

You can bury Smith and trade Shattenkirk with retained 50%. The guy is still an NHL player who can help someone's PP for that price tag.

Not to familiar with the dates but Bleskleys buried contract and Spooners retained comes off the books, we will lose someone to the expansion draft as well. And Staals actual salary will be 4.2 mil., 3.2 mil if we pay him his bonus before we deal him like we did Brassard. So we should be able to re-sign Kreider when it?s time.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Carp is saying the exact opposite today.

But here’s what won’t happen. Gorton and the Rangers won’t change their minds here and keep Hayes and Zuccarello.

Everything’s in play for the Rangers from now through July, and even beyond. For that to be so, they need to continue to stockpile assets and to continue to free up cap space. They’re going to be dealing for young players and trying to sign relatively young free agents (Panarin’s name is most popular, of course).

The talk about Zuccarello returning as a free agent July 1 is a possibility, remote perhaps, but it most certainly is not the plan. Ditto for Hayes.

The Rangers are stuck toward the top of the draft lottery, and though they could drop some and gain some pingpong balls after the deadline, they’re not going to be in the No. 1 or No. 2 (or likely 3, 4, 5, 6) slots when the season ends.

They are not going to let feelings about a player such as Zuccarello or Hayes prevent them from turning them into more assets — and they need more, to be sure. They also are seeing that with Hayes playing the best hockey of his career (but well under a point per game) and Zuccarello a key cog on a steaming-hot first line, they’re going nowhere.

http://https://theathletic.com/821325/2019/02/16/buyers-and-sellers-weighing-possible-trades-as-rangers-top-sabres-in-buffalo/

You’ve got to hope he’s right.

The fact that they’re this terrible and still barely under the cap this season is horrifying. I don’t mind extending an offer to Hayes but now I have questions.

If they’re not going to trade these two, what was the point of this season? Why didn’t they try to get better last summer? Is the rebuild over? I’m so confused what the plan is now.

The fact that they?re this terrible and still barely under the cap this season is horrifying. I don?t mind extending an offer to Hayes but now I have questions.

If they?re not going to trade these two, what was the point of this season? Why didn?t they try to get better last summer? Is the rebuild over? I?m so confused what the plan is now.

How could they have gotten better if they were up against the cap for this year?

Without resigning anyone they will probably have something like 23 million in cap space this offseason. Even resigning Hayes, say to a 6 year @ 6.5 per would leave 16.5 million.

How could they have gotten better if they were up against the cap for this year?

Without resigning anyone they will probably have something like 23 million in cap space this offseason. Even resigning Hayes, say to a 6 year @ 6.5 per would leave 16.5 million.

23 if the cap goes up 3m, but that’s with only 8 forwards and 4 d.

Pionk, DeAngelo, (6 d) plus Buch + 4 rookies (12F + 1) will be around 15m, minimum. Sign Hayes and you’re at the cap max, with the same shit squad.

Honestly I don't know that I would keep any of those guys, especially not Pionk at 4m. If it does, I hope it isnt here.

Ok so figure 4m for 4 rookies, leaves 19m. Minus Hayes at 6.5 per leaves you at 12.5. Sign Panarin 11m per year. Maybe 10 if youre lucky and he really wants to be here. They can get creative to figure out the 1-2 holes that are left.

I agree. No sense keeping ADA and Buch with Quinn coaching. And I don’t want Pionk continuing to lead the team in minutes, either.

Need to move salary, and not waste any. And I can’t justify giving Hayes 7m. Sorry

The money needs to be spent on elite talent. Not middle 6ers. We have enough of them!

I agree. No sense keeping ADA and Buch with Quinn coaching. And I don’t want Pionk continuing to lead the team in minutes, either.

Need to move salary, and not waste any. And I can’t justify giving Hayes 7m. Sorry

The money needs to be spent on elite talent. Not middle 6ers. We have enough of them!

I agree on overpaying middle 6ers, but to me that is Strome/Namestnikov. Hayes skillset is better than that.

I also just showed a way to sign Hayes and sign an elite talent. Unless you think we can get Panarin and someone better than Hayes this offseason.

I?ll be shocked if these guys aren?t moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hayes will be the one that is moved since he will be a UFA, so you want to trade the rest of JH's salary and sign to a more reasonable contract.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If I had to guess, I'd say that with respect to Hayes, this will follow the script from the Callahan situation five years ago, where serious offers were made by both sides, and they get close, but ultimately it doesn't get done and he gets traded at the last moment. Unfortunately, the return in such a scenario will not be optimal. As for Zuc, he has made a pretty big deal about wanting to stay, and now that will be put to the test. I have no idea if Gorton is just making him a low ball offer or is being serious. His success with Shattenkirk may lead him to overplay his hand with players who would like to stay.

The fact that they’re this terrible and still barely under the cap this season is horrifying. I don’t mind extending an offer to Hayes but now I have questions.

If they’re not going to trade these two, what was the point of this season? Why didn’t they try to get better last summer? Is the rebuild over? I’m so confused what the plan is now.

Hopefully the plan is to confuse the fan base and the public. The Rangers should still be in rebuilding mode. Good timing for Zucc and Hayes to be on hot streaks. Should raise their trade value for playoff team(s) looking to make deep runs.

Enjoy the first line play, because our top two lines should look a lot different after the trade deadline.

Everyone keeps saying Ottawa is screwing us by not officially saying if Duchene and Stones are available. There?s also Panarin, Kovalchuk, and Getzlaf who could all be available. Let?s face it, all are considered better than Hayes. So until they are officially either traded or officially ?off the market? we will have to wait. AND even then Gorton may not like the return he?s being offered and decide to keep them.

Everyone keeps saying Ottawa is screwing us by not officially saying if Duchene and Stones are available. There’s also Panarin, Kovalchuk, and Getzlaf who could all be available. Let’s face it, all are considered better than Hayes. So until they are officially either traded or officially “off the market” we will have to wait. AND even then Gorton may not like the return he’s being offered and decide to keep them.

I'm not really sure that either Getzlaf or Kovalchuk are more attractive pieces then Hayes right now. If for no other reason than they have time left of their contracts.

Archived