• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Silence Hints at a Deadline Mats Zuccarello Trade

Phil

WINNIPEG ? Mats Zuccarello told The Post he has ?not heard any concrete news from my agent,? and his agent at Newport Sports told The Post the Norwegian?s situation is ?status quo.?

Translated, this means that, 13 days and eight games away from the Feb. 25 trade deadline, the Blueshirts have not engaged in contract extension talks with the impending free-agent winger and remain on course to flip Zuccarello as a rental property in exchange for a draft pick and/or a prospect.

?Nothing has changed. Everyone knows I want to stay here, but if they trade me, I can?t control that,? Zuccarello said before the Rangers met the Jets here on Tuesday in the first of four straight games on the road. ?I?m just trying to have the most fun I can, work as hard as I can and play the best I can to help us win games. That?s what I can control.?

And isn?t it ironic, like a free ride when you?ve already paid, that as Zuccarello?s play has increased his value as a rental to contenders, he has also re-established his value to the Rangers both on the ice and in the room. The winger?s revival has prompted the Rangers to consider the scenario under which they would trade Zuccarello and then re-sign him as a free agent on July 1.

?I?m not aware of that,? Zuccarello said. ?If that?s the situation that develops, I would look at it, but that?s far off. I can say that no one has come to me and said that?s the plan.?

https://nypost.com/2019/02/12/rangers-silence-hints-at-a-deadline-mats-zuccarello-trade/

I know their are Rangers fans that want Zucc to stay, but for the best interest of the team for the long run I think its imperative that they acquire any chips that they can for him. Be completely honest with him and tell him that they are doing their due diligence on the trade front and if something happens then it will be for the best for him (possible cup run), and for the long term for the Rangers. But also he could be part of the Rangers long term plans if he won't hold any hard feelings if he's traded and that they would welcome him back with open arms.....obviously if the price is right for both parties.

I think he's got three good years in him. Late 2d round draft picks usually don't turn out to be significant NHL players. I'd rather have Zuc for the next three years than a one in five shot of getting a decent NHLer for him.

You’re right but it’s not the point. Those 2nd round picks are good currency for trade bait at the draft. After making the selection the prospects value should hold value for at least two years worst case. So yes while they may not hit on that exact pick it does give them an extra dart and it adds to the asset pool going forward.

"The winger’s revival has prompted the Rangers to consider the scenario under which they would trade Zuccarello and then re-sign him as a free agent on July 1."

If I'm a player being traded to a contender, no way in hell I'd like this communicated to me by my current team. Contender would have first rights to resign, and then I'd truly be a free agent and shop for the best deal with a competitive squad.

"The winger’s revival has prompted the Rangers to consider the scenario under which they would trade Zuccarello and then re-sign him as a free agent on July 1."

If I'm a player being traded to a contender, no way in hell I'd like this communicated to me by my current team. Contender would have first rights to resign, and then I'd truly be a free agent and shop for the best deal with a competitive squad.

easy to say when you haven't played on the same team, in the same city, for the same fans and with some of the same players for many years. You get connected to the place and the people. Maybe that's more important than finding the "the best deal".

I don't think they'd need 3 good years of Zuccarello, because he'd be done by the time they're a serious contender.

Pete's right, man....by the time this team is ready to rock again....for real, that is...we won't be able to use or trade Zucc for beans. Plus, he'd just be hogging up a roster spot for some young player just waiting to make an impact here.

Zucc's done his duty here....time to move on and possibly win a cup someplace else. I wish him the best, and Thank you for some great memories here in NY.

easy to say when you haven't played on the same team, in the same city, for the same fans and with some of the same players for many years. You get connected to the place and the people. Maybe that's more important than finding the "the best deal".

you have to be a businessman, and treat your career as such. No home town discount. If your previous team is close to the best offer, than OK, you can still eat at your favorite restaurants, play with the same teammates, etc. But your agent should communicate to the team that there will be no home town discount.

1. The season, we all have been told even more times than Alex Georgiev stopped the puck Sunday, was always about development. But in addition to developing players, this was also about developing a nucleus around which to build. It is hardly heresy to suggest the Blueshirts are further ahead on the latter than the former.

So is it truly wise to break up the nucleus by sending Mats Zuccarello and Kevin Hayes away in exchange for the usual packages of future prospects and draft picks because that was the original plan? They are separate cases, but it is inarguable that Zuccarello?s revival has been the key force in the creation of a first line that has become a formidable, go-to unit.

Now, are Zuccarello-Mika Zibanejad-Chris Kreider exactly Kyle Connor-Mark Scheifele-Blake Wheeler? No. But the line is the team?s engine, and the Norwegian has been its conductor. Sending him away now for a lukewarm return simply to add quantity to a still threadbare system does not seem to add up.

There is nothing inherently meritorious about sticking to a plan if a more advantageous one presents itself. Ownership/management never intended to strip the team down to its studs (alternate meaning) when the Rangers embarked on their reset last February, so it?s not quite clear why the team?s most important players have to go simply because they?re not in their teens or early 20s.

We?ve said it before and will say it again: Making decisions based on the proposition that your team won?t be in position to win for another five years becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

3. So let?s focus on Zuccarello for a moment, then. There is risk involved in assuming the winger gladly will return to reclaim his No. 36 as a free agent if traded. He could fall in love with his new team. He could receive a larger offer on the open market than the Blueshirts deem reasonable. He could feel jilted and not all that thrilled to re-up with the organization that sent him away after months in which he made it clear he wants to stay.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/13/mats-zuccarello-should-be-the-exception-to-rangers-fire-sale/

The title of the article is dogshit. Nothing is silenced. They want to trade him.

Writers rarely write headlines, and headlines are often written for dramatic impact.

The content of the article itself is always of far more value.

you have to be a businessman, and treat your career as such. No home town discount. If your previous team is close to the best offer, than OK, you can still eat at your favorite restaurants, play with the same teammates, etc. But your agent should communicate to the team that there will be no home town discount.

When you already have shitloads of money I guess there is more important things in your life/career than earning some extra few bucks.

Bob McKenzie

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

?

1h

NYR getting good action on Zuccarello. Could go for a second rounder and a prospect perhaps. If the return on Kevin Hayes is soft, I could see NYR keeping him and trying to sign him. McQuad will go for at least what they gave up: 4th and 7th rders

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived