Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Igor Shesterkin

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Like I said... Naive. Where the play develops is night and day. Let me cherry pick shots from the slot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    FWIW my brother is a goalie who moved from Europe to NA and he always says the angles felt really different and took a good couple of months getting used to.
    Thank you.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    I'm sure everybody is different. He wouldn't be the 1st to skip the AHL, but it may make sense for a short period anyways as there's a logjam at the position next year.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Like I said... Naive. Where the play develops is night and day. Let me cherry pick shots from the slot! Thank you.
    That's not what you said. You said every shot is in closer in the AHL.

I never said there isn't a difference, but this idea that the quality is so much better in the AHL than the KHL, because angles, is dumb.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    That's not what you said. You said every shot is in closer in the AHL.

I never said there isn't a difference, but this idea that the quality is so much better in the AHL than the KHL, because angles, is dumb.
    You're in love with the word "better" but can't seem to offer any tangible proof of why any one thing is better than another.

So back to what my actual argument is... There'll be an adjustment period because the O Zone is smaller, plays happen faster, and angles are different. I can't possibly see how this can be disputed.

So as far as DEVELOPMENT for him, it's better for him to be here than there. Even in the A.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're in love with the word "better" but can't seem to offer any tangible proof of why any one thing is better than another.

So back to what my actual argument is... There'll be an adjustment period because the O Zone is smaller, plays happen faster, and angles are different. I can't possibly see how this can be disputed.

So as far as DEVELOPMENT for him, it's better for him to be here than there. Even in the A.
    None of what you have said is any more tangible than the idea that being home and making more money might be better for his development, which was my original point anyway.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I just don't but that the AHL is "better" because of "angles" to the effect that a goalie would be develop more playing an entire year there vs. Europe, especially when there's precedent for goalies not needing it.

Plus, your original argument was that "every" angle was different and the shots are closer. You can't just dismiss the clips of that being unequivocally wrong as cherry picked. A chance that develops down the middle is the same no matter how big the ice is, and pass across the crease in tight is the same.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Don't see how "angles" are different just because of rink size. Can't just change math. A shot from the dot is still a shot from the dot. But plays certainly develop faster in the smaller rink, and that is a big change. There is less room to work with and theoretically less time to make decisions. I don't see why anyone would not want guys to adjust to this rather than keeping them in the KHL. It isn't just about hockey either. These guys are moving to a new country and they are human. They need time to adjust to a different way of life here, and it can be a lot for young players to come over and be thrown in the spotlight immediately.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Don't see how "angles" are different just because of rink size. Can't just change math. A shot from the dot is still a shot from the dot. But plays certainly develop faster in the smaller rink, and that is a big change. There is less room to work with and theoretically less time to make decisions. I don't see why anyone would not want guys to adjust to this rather than keeping them in the KHL. It isn't just about hockey either. These guys are moving to a new country and they are human. They need time to adjust to a different way of life here, and it can be a lot for young players to come over and be thrown in the spotlight immediately.
    KHL rinks are wider. A guy standing at the blue line, along the boards on one rink, will have a different angle than the guy standing at the blue line along the boards on a wider KHL rink.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Right, but angles are still angles. There's 180 degrees to work with as a goalie, that doesn't change.

I played on Olympic ice a little bit as a goalie, never noticed much. Granted that wasn't a crazy high level.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    KHL rinks are wider. A guy standing at the blue line, along the boards on one rink, will have a different angle than the guy standing at the blue line along the boards on a wider KHL rink.
    Fair enough, but that angle can be replicated in an NHL rink..except it will be along the boards and a few feet in from the blueline. The angles don't change, but the time to react to shots from those angles do.

I will concede that if a defenseman is playing the boards and takes a shot from the blueline along the boards, it is at a different angle between the two rinks. That's not a shot that happens often though.

Banned Junior Division
    its not that much of a difference. the adjustment for a goalie will probably take few practices and couple of games.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I think the greater adjustment will be schedule, living conditions, etc.
    Most top European players benefit from some time in the AHL.
    As does pretty much any hockey player.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Fair enough, but that angle can be replicated in an NHL rink..except it will be along the boards and a few feet in from the blueline. The angles don't change, but the time to react to shots from those angles do.

I will concede that if a defenseman is playing the boards and takes a shot from the blueline along the boards, it is at a different angle between the two rinks. That's not a shot that happens often though.
    But how often does a odd-man break have a guy skating through that vicinity?
    Standing deep in the net, not a whole lot changes, but coming out, cutting down angles, backing up in the goal - things theyve been doing for 25 years - now require important adjustments when you are facing the top scorers in the world.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but saying the transition from European to NA ice is something that only takes “a couple of practices and a few games” is extremely ignorant.
    Speaking as someone who made that move as a C and my brother as a goaltender. It’s the same game but it’s almost as if you’re learning it anew. The time it takes to adjust varies from player to player, but it’s even tougher for a goaltender. It’s a game of inches and the inches change.

OK, and I played on both sizes during the same season every year until Junior. I didn't find it even noteworthy.
    I'm sure it's a different experience for everyone.

Playing in a barn with square corners, that was noteworthy.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    OK, and I played on both sizes during the same season every year until Junior. I didn't find it even noteworthy.
    I'm sure it's a different experience for everyone.

Playing in a barn with square corners, that was noteworthy.
    Which is why you're here, doing this, and not that.

Thats all I needed to do to grow 5 inches?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Thats all I needed to do to grow 5 inches?
    Leave your bedroom issues in the bedroom.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but saying the transition from European to NA ice is something that only takes “a couple of practices and a few games” is extremely ignorant.
    Speaking as someone who made that move as a C and my brother as a goaltender. It’s the same game but it’s almost as if you’re learning it anew. The time it takes to adjust varies from player to player, but it’s even tougher for a goaltender. It’s a game of inches and the inches change.
    You maybe right but i’ve never heard anyone making a big deal about the transition

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    You maybe right but iíve never heard anyone making a big deal about the transition
    Wait, let me get this straight... In a league where players tape their sticks the same way and put their skate on in same order and have same pregame ritual a rink size change is just standard?

No... Sorry but no!

Banned Junior Division
    U drunk?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast