• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin

Blue Heaven

Are there many goaltenders that go directly from the KHL to the NHL?

I’m just wondering what that transition may be like for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Bobrovsky did. Vasilevsky split his first 2 NA seasons between NHL and AHL. Varlamov spent one year in the AHL with a brief call up, and the next 2 years as a back up getting sent down a couple times.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a couple of years old, so not sure how KHL contracts have changed:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/khl-contract-salaries-highest-paid-datsyuk-radulov-kovalchuk-kontinental-hockey-league/

By the time you got to #30 on the KHL's top contracts, you were only looking at a little over $1M. So while in the AHL, Shesterkin would only likely be looking at $70K plus around a $90K signing bonus each year, I'm not sure how much that leaves on the table. And if he thinks he can make it to the NHL, bonuses can push an ELC contract up over $3.5M per year.

This is a couple of years old, so not sure how KHL contracts have changed:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/khl-contract-salaries-highest-paid-datsyuk-radulov-kovalchuk-kontinental-hockey-league/

By the time you got to #30 on the KHL's top contracts, you were only looking at a little over $1M. So while in the AHL, Shesterkin would only likely be looking at $70K plus around a $90K signing bonus each year, I'm not sure how much that leaves on the table. And if he thinks he can make it to the NHL, bonuses can push an ELC contract up over $3.5M per year.

That $3.5 number is almost impossible. Pulled from the CBA https://centericeview.wordpress.com/2017/03/13/nhl-entry-level-contracts-elc-a-quick-primer/

NHL Entry Level Contracts have the following components:

Maximum Salary $925,000

Signing Bonus: Limited to 10% of maximum salary or $92,500 (included in salary)

Type A Bonus: Maximum $850,000 ($212,500 per individual bonus) for such performance based qualifiers such as ice time, goals, plus/minus

Type B Bonus: Maximum $2,000,000 for league performance awards (example: top 5 post-season awards) per season

Theoretically, a player could earn total compensation of $3,775,000

I think you can basically rule out any "league performance awards" for Shestyorkin if he's playing 35 games or whatever on an ok-at-best team. So you're looking at a N.A. range of $160k-$1.8m, or a certain $1+m in the KHL, plus not having to live the AHL life in a new country.

I feel like that's a no brainer for me, if I'm Shestyorkin.

Bringing Shesty here now doesn't make sense overall does it? It will burn a year by having him play meaningless games at MSG -- not to mention Hartford if that's where they site him. I would agree that another season in KHL is a good idea.

Disagree. Gotta get him over here ASAP. Get him working with Benoit Allaire and Hank sooner rather than later. He's already 23 so another season in the KHL puts him at 24 all of which are played on an entirely different sheet of ice with a lower caliber skillset.

Get him over here to get used to everything. There's no such thing as a meaningless game in the AHL and definitely not at MSG. If he's playing for the Rangers organization, it'll only help his development

Disagree. Gotta get him over here ASAP. Get him working with Benoit Allaire and Hank sooner rather than later. He's already 23 so another season in the KHL puts him at 24 all of which are played on an entirely different sheet of ice with a lower caliber skillset.

Get him over here to get used to everything. There's no such thing as a meaningless game in the AHL and definitely not at MSG. If he's playing for the Rangers organization, it'll only help his development

The skill in the AHL isn't higher than the KHL. Other than Allaire, I don't see how the AHL is a better developmental league for goalies than the KHL or even the SHL, really.

The skill in the AHL isn't higher than the KHL. Other than Allaire, I don't see how the AHL is a better developmental league for goalies than the KHL or even the SHL, really.
Except that every single angle is different and the shots come from closer?

Some angles are different, but the idea that every shot is different is ridiculous.

Which of these are from too far away or from an angle that doesn't exist in the AHL?

FWIW my brother is a goalie who moved from Europe to NA and he always says the angles felt really different and took a good couple of months getting used to.

Some angles are different, but the idea that every shot is different is ridiculous.

Which of these are from too far away or from an angle that doesn't exist in the AHL?

Like I said... Naive. Where the play develops is night and day. Let me cherry pick shots from the slot!
FWIW my brother is a goalie who moved from Europe to NA and he always says the angles felt really different and took a good couple of months getting used to.
Thank you.

Like I said... Naive. Where the play develops is night and day. Let me cherry pick shots from the slot! Thank you.

That's not what you said. You said every shot is in closer in the AHL.

I never said there isn't a difference, but this idea that the quality is so much better in the AHL than the KHL, because angles, is dumb.

That's not what you said. You said every shot is in closer in the AHL.

I never said there isn't a difference, but this idea that the quality is so much better in the AHL than the KHL, because angles, is dumb.

You're in love with the word "better" but can't seem to offer any tangible proof of why any one thing is better than another.

So back to what my actual argument is... There'll be an adjustment period because the O Zone is smaller, plays happen faster, and angles are different. I can't possibly see how this can be disputed.

So as far as DEVELOPMENT for him, it's better for him to be here than there. Even in the A.

You're in love with the word "better" but can't seem to offer any tangible proof of why any one thing is better than another.

So back to what my actual argument is... There'll be an adjustment period because the O Zone is smaller, plays happen faster, and angles are different. I can't possibly see how this can be disputed.

So as far as DEVELOPMENT for him, it's better for him to be here than there. Even in the A.

None of what you have said is any more tangible than the idea that being home and making more money might be better for his development, which was my original point anyway.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I just don't but that the AHL is "better" because of "angles" to the effect that a goalie would be develop more playing an entire year there vs. Europe, especially when there's precedent for goalies not needing it.

Plus, your original argument was that "every" angle was different and the shots are closer. You can't just dismiss the clips of that being unequivocally wrong as cherry picked. A chance that develops down the middle is the same no matter how big the ice is, and pass across the crease in tight is the same.

Don't see how "angles" are different just because of rink size. Can't just change math. A shot from the dot is still a shot from the dot. But plays certainly develop faster in the smaller rink, and that is a big change. There is less room to work with and theoretically less time to make decisions. I don't see why anyone would not want guys to adjust to this rather than keeping them in the KHL. It isn't just about hockey either. These guys are moving to a new country and they are human. They need time to adjust to a different way of life here, and it can be a lot for young players to come over and be thrown in the spotlight immediately.

Don't see how "angles" are different just because of rink size. Can't just change math. A shot from the dot is still a shot from the dot. But plays certainly develop faster in the smaller rink, and that is a big change. There is less room to work with and theoretically less time to make decisions. I don't see why anyone would not want guys to adjust to this rather than keeping them in the KHL. It isn't just about hockey either. These guys are moving to a new country and they are human. They need time to adjust to a different way of life here, and it can be a lot for young players to come over and be thrown in the spotlight immediately.

KHL rinks are wider. A guy standing at the blue line, along the boards on one rink, will have a different angle than the guy standing at the blue line along the boards on a wider KHL rink.

Right, but angles are still angles. There's 180 degrees to work with as a goalie, that doesn't change.

I played on Olympic ice a little bit as a goalie, never noticed much. Granted that wasn't a crazy high level.

KHL rinks are wider. A guy standing at the blue line, along the boards on one rink, will have a different angle than the guy standing at the blue line along the boards on a wider KHL rink.

Fair enough, but that angle can be replicated in an NHL rink..except it will be along the boards and a few feet in from the blueline. The angles don't change, but the time to react to shots from those angles do.

I will concede that if a defenseman is playing the boards and takes a shot from the blueline along the boards, it is at a different angle between the two rinks. That's not a shot that happens often though.