Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Igor Shesterkin

Senior Member Midget Division
    How is Georgiev all of a sudden untouchable? He's sporting a .914 sv% through 41 career games. Talbot had a .931 sv% through 57 games as a Ranger. Tablot had much better AHL numbers as well.

Shestyorkin should absolutely be the priority.

In 2015 Shesty was the Russian goalie at the WJC. 5 games 1.98 GAA .938 SV%. The following year it was Georgiev. 5 games 2.52 GAA .898 SV%.

In 2016 and 2017 Shesty was Russia's backup at the Worlds. In 2018 Shesty played 4 games at the Worlds with a 1.46 GAA and .942 SV%. Russia has not called Georgiev back.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    How is Georgiev all of a sudden untouchable? He's sporting a .914 sv% through 41 career games. Talbot had a .931 sv% through 57 games as a Ranger. Tablot had much better AHL numbers as well.

In 2015 Shesty was the Russian goalie at the WJC. 5 games 1.98 GAA .938 SV%. The following year it was Georgiev. 5 games 2.52 GAA .898 SV%.

In 2016 and 2017 Shesty was Russia's backup at the Worlds. In 2018 Shesty played 4 games at the Worlds with a 1.46 GAA and .942 SV%. Russia has not called Georgiev back.
    Look at the teams Talbot played on vs the teams Georgie has played on. I'm not saying he's untouchable, I'm just saying the numbers aren't apples to apples.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I get it. But he wouldn't be the first one to walk away from money if he couldn't do the job. (Particularly after having completely set up his family for life. It's not like the days of them making $35k and having to hang on for dear life.) There's also a whole lot of middle ground he could cut with mgt. If he's at this level of melancholy soul searching now, it's not going to be pretty a year from now. Hank has always reached his peak performance level with A LOT of steady work and I don't think he gets that here anymore, whoever the backup is. I might be wrong, but I think he has more pride than to play on when he can't meet his own standards or just hang around to collect a check he isn't earning, especially if it is to the overall detriment of the team. I also think he makes it one more year.
    Name a player in recent years that retired with a contract of $5+ million still left on it? It very rarely happens in sports today. Also in the Rangers minds it could be we got Hank here either though he's pretty much immovable, who better to have as a mentor for the future for these goalies. They'll split time, one will be in Hartford the other will be here playing 50/50 until something happens. One of the goalies has to be traded at some point next season b/c of the expansion draft unless their is a side deal for a team not to claim Georgiev or Sheshtyorkin

day-to-day Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post

Shestyorkin hasn't played any NHL games, so we have no data. We have NHL data on Lundqvist and Georgiev.

I need at least 30 NHL games on a goalie before I can have an educated opinion about how he will do in the NHL. Sure it's exciting and provocative to speculate. But even players with the "can't miss" tag can fail spectacularly. Georgiev is the only goalie currently with the Rangers that we have NHL data for that could be with the franchise the next time we are a Stanley Cup playoff threat (3+ years down the road). If you think this team can compete for a Stanley Cup in the next year or two, having Lundqvist at his best should be a priority.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Name a player in recent years that retired with a contract of $5+ million still left on it? It very rarely happens in sports today. Also in the Rangers minds it could be we got Hank here either though he's pretty much immovable, who better to have as a mentor for the future for these goalies. They'll split time, one will be in Hartford the other will be here playing 50/50 until something happens. One of the goalies has to be traded at some point next season b/c of the expansion draft unless their is a side deal for a team not to claim Georgiev or Sheshtyorkin
    As I said, there are any number of ways to cut it so Hank is not actually out $5m. The Rangers might pay that just to free up the cap space early. Do you get the sense that all Hank cares about is the money? He seems deeply disappointed in his own play and downright despondent at the state of the team.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

As I said, there are any number of ways to cut it so Hank is not actually out $5m. The Rangers might pay that just to free up the cap space early. Do you get the sense that all Hank cares about is the money? He seems deeply disappointed in his own play and downright despondent at the state of the team.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    What loophole can the Rangers do so he’s not out of the $5 million? Rangers would still be hit with his $8.5 million cap hit. Whatever it would be would be against the rules. No he probably doesn’t care about the money BUT he is a competitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    President?

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    $5.5 million reasons why Hank won't retire...better chance of him asking for a trade than him calling it quits.....and I doubt he even considers a trade.
    you're short 3

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    you're short 3
    Nope. Cap hit vs real salary.

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    What loophole can the Rangers do so he’s not out of the $5 million? Rangers would still be hit with his $8.5 million cap hit. Whatever it would be would be against the rules. No he probably doesn’t care about the money BUT he is a competitor.

Unless I'm reading the CBA wrongly (very possible), the $8.5m cap hit for 20/21 comes off the Rangers tab if Hank were to retire at the end of next season. They don’t get off scot free as the lever against early player retirement - and thus circumvention of the cap by front loaded contracts – is the Cap Recapture Penalty. As explained in this helpful Reddit post, https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...is_and_why_it/, the Rangers would face a $3m cap penalty in the final year should Hank retire. They would be getting $5.5m in cap relief (not to mention $5.5m cash) in an absolutely critical year of the rebuild. As we know, cap dollars are worth more than non-cap dollars, particularly to the Rangers. If next year does not work out and Hank were to go to them and say, "this doesn't make sense anymore but I don't want to short my family," what is to prevent them from hiring him at some subsequent date as a special assistant allowed to telecommute from Sweden or E. 86th St. or some island in the Mediterranean, paid at whatever amount the parties might agree upon - say $1.1m/yr for 5 yrs? It would convey tangible benefits to the Rangers including allowing them to get to the future goalie solution a year earlier as well as freeing up some critical ability to secure top end free agents at the prime reloading moment. It would make the Lundquist family at least partially whole. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I am not immune to faulty reasoning and look forward to being educated if that is the case. But kind of an interesting question.

I agree that Hank is a world class competitor and I would not wish him anything less than full success. But this season did not provide a hopeful trajectory, particularly with a reduced workload. Time is a merciless opponent and its ultimate winning streak remains unbroken.

Senior Member Midget Division

Are rumors from Russia ever correct regarding players? I feel like it always ends up being bullshit.

Banned Junior Division
    wonder if the rangers could get a first rounder for Georgiev if Shesty is a real deal

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    wonder if the rangers could get a first rounder for Georgiev if Shesty is a real deal
    Highly doubtful. He has 43 NHL games under his belt. Career .915 SV%. Talbot had 57 and was traded with the 209th pick for the 57th, 79th and 184th picks. He was a .926 goalie when he was dealt.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    Yah, probably not. Probably a 2nd rounder

Max, yeah. Like, I could see someone giving up the 50th~ pick.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Max, yeah. Like, I could see someone giving up the 50th~ pick.
    I don't think I'd do that, but I'd flip him in a second for an older prospect, change of scenery, type player.

Senior Member Mite Division Rosenvold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't think I'd do that, but I'd flip him in a second for an older prospect, change of scenery, type player.
    Depends on the prospect. Right now, Georgiev has upside as an NHL starter and those aren't easy to come by. He shouldn't go cheap and definitely not until Shestyorkin has proven his worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Like Puljujarvi? Need more Finns.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Unless I'm reading the CBA wrongly (very possible), the $8.5m cap hit for 20/21 comes off the Rangers tab if Hank were to retire at the end of next season. They don’t get off scot free as the lever against early player retirement - and thus circumvention of the cap by front loaded contracts – is the Cap Recapture Penalty. As explained in this helpful Reddit post, https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...is_and_why_it/, the Rangers would face a $3m cap penalty in the final year should Hank retire. They would be getting $5.5m in cap relief (not to mention $5.5m cash) in an absolutely critical year of the rebuild. As we know, cap dollars are worth more than non-cap dollars, particularly to the Rangers. If next year does not work out and Hank were to go to them and say, "this doesn't make sense anymore but I don't want to short my family," what is to prevent them from hiring him at some subsequent date as a special assistant allowed to telecommute from Sweden or E. 86th St. or some island in the Mediterranean, paid at whatever amount the parties might agree upon - say $1.1m/yr for 5 yrs? It would convey tangible benefits to the Rangers including allowing them to get to the future goalie solution a year earlier as well as freeing up some critical ability to secure top end free agents at the prime reloading moment. It would make the Lundquist family at least partially whole. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I am not immune to faulty reasoning and look forward to being educated if that is the case. But kind of an interesting question.

I agree that Hank is a world class competitor and I would not wish him anything less than full success. But this season did not provide a hopeful trajectory, particularly with a reduced workload. Time is a merciless opponent and its ultimate winning streak remains unbroken.
    Problem is Mrs. Lundqvist is not letting her husband walk away from that kind of scratch. A friend was for a time part of the NYR security staff. He noticed biggest problem retiring players face is going from high end shopping, primo condos, unbelievable cars and everyone kissing your ass to regular Joe status; radial change in lifestyle. Would like to think, but have no idea, if Lundqvist saved his money. But having houses in 2 countries isn't cheap and we know the guy doesn't walk around in sweats and a wifebeater. Simply he is not retiring, because of ego but also because of money. Being a coach or GM or commentator is never approaching this kind of income ever.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast