• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin

Blue Heaven

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what?

Well, it's a bit of both really.

There are more skill guys playing top 6 roles in the KHL than in the A. But parity is much more of an issue and the bottom 6 guys are often at a significant level below.

I don't think it's necessarily true that the KHL is a superior place to be for a developing goalie, particularly when you factor in he's playing for such a good team and at some point he needs to adapt to NA ice.

From Shestyorkins perspective I can see why he'd choose to play for SKA on more money over humping the bus in Hartford though.

There are more skill guys playing top 6 roles in the KHL than in the A. But parity is much more of an issue and the bottom 6 guys are often at a significant level below.

I don't think it's necessarily true that the KHL is a superior place to be for a developing goalie, particularly when you factor in he's playing for such a good team and at some point he needs to adapt to NA ice.

From Shestyorkins perspective I can see why he'd choose to play for SKA on more money over humping the bus in Hartford though.

I hear you and mostly agree.

I just don't get blanket statements like "The KHL is just better". Better at what? For who? Why?

The KHL is full of players who couldn't have the NHL and we're saying it's a good place to develop goalies? Stop.

Also no reason to trade Geogiev if he's a product of Allaire. We have Allaire. Not sure what the issue is.

But what do you do with him if Shesterkin comes over and shows he's ready to play half a year with Hank? Stick him back in Hartford? Could they roll 3 goalies and healthy scratch one every night? I've never seen that done before but even if Shesterkin doesn't come I don't see Hank playing more than 45 games next season.

But what do you do with him if Shesterkin comes over and shows he's ready to play half a year with Hank? Stick him back in Hartford? Could they roll 3 goalies and healthy scratch one every night? I've never seen that done before but even if Shesterkin doesn't come I don't see Hank playing more than 45 games next season.

Not today. Well into the 1980s it was common. Late 1970s NYR had Sotaert/Baker/Davidson, and into the late 1980s, Froese/Beezer/Richter.Cap changed all that. Nobody is paying NHL cap room for a 3rd goalie to watch the game from the press box.

I would expect this coming camp, like the last, to be highly competitive. Lot o'kids with dreams of becoming the next Brett Howden and making the team out of camp. If they grant Igor's condition that he not have to compete and must play in the NHL, potentially jumping the line on Georgiev, wouldn't that somewhat undercut the meritocracy (or maybe effortocracy) that Quinn seems to be trying to build? I wouldn't want to see him start out with prima donna stamped on his forehead. Maybe he is just good enough for everyone to look past it.

The living and team conditions in the AHL are far superior to the KHL.

From coaching, structure, hotels, travel, pretty much everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I was behind the scene at a Marlies game a couple months ago, post game spread was chicken fingers and frozen meatballs. That's it. Nothing else. Chicken fingers and frozen meatballs.

I would expect this coming camp, like the last, to be highly competitive. Lot o'kids with dreams of becoming the next Brett Howden and making the team out of camp. If they grant Igor's condition that he not have to compete and must play in the NHL, potentially jumping the line on Georgiev, wouldn't that somewhat undercut the meritocracy (or maybe effortocracy) that Quinn seems to be trying to build? I wouldn't want to see him start out with prima donna stamped on his forehead. Maybe he is just good enough for everyone to look past it.

I think it would undercut the meritocracy. And I'm not entirely sure the Rangers should be giving out guarantees. The question is, what's on the table from SKA vs what's on the table from the Rangers.

If, for arguments sake, it's 3 times the money to re sign with SKA or risk ending up in Hartford then I would sort of see his reason for staying on for a few years. And that puts the Rangers in a bind, assuming they're as high on him as everybody else.

Look at it this way. Shesterkin has a five year KHL deal in hand and would sign it if forced to Hartford for an entire season.

What do you do?

Keep Georgiev, demote Georgiev, beg Hank to leave, or move on from Shesty?