• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin

Blue Heaven

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, but that angle can be replicated in an NHL rink..except it will be along the boards and a few feet in from the blueline. The angles don't change, but the time to react to shots from those angles do.

I will concede that if a defenseman is playing the boards and takes a shot from the blueline along the boards, it is at a different angle between the two rinks. That's not a shot that happens often though.

But how often does a odd-man break have a guy skating through that vicinity?

Standing deep in the net, not a whole lot changes, but coming out, cutting down angles, backing up in the goal - things theyve been doing for 25 years - now require important adjustments when you are facing the top scorers in the world.

I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but saying the transition from European to NA ice is something that only takes “a couple of practices and a few games” is extremely ignorant.

Speaking as someone who made that move as a C and my brother as a goaltender. It’s the same game but it’s almost as if you’re learning it anew. The time it takes to adjust varies from player to player, but it’s even tougher for a goaltender. It’s a game of inches and the inches change.

OK, and I played on both sizes during the same season every year until Junior. I didn't find it even noteworthy.

I'm sure it's a different experience for everyone.

Playing in a barn with square corners, that was noteworthy.

OK, and I played on both sizes during the same season every year until Junior. I didn't find it even noteworthy.

Playing in a barn with square corners, that was noteworthy.

Which is why you're here, doing this, and not that. :p

I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but saying the transition from European to NA ice is something that only takes “a couple of practices and a few games” is extremely ignorant.

Speaking as someone who made that move as a C and my brother as a goaltender. It’s the same game but it’s almost as if you’re learning it anew. The time it takes to adjust varies from player to player, but it’s even tougher for a goaltender. It’s a game of inches and the inches change.

You maybe right but i’ve never heard anyone making a big deal about the transition

You maybe right but i?ve never heard anyone making a big deal about the transition
Wait, let me get this straight... In a league where players tape their sticks the same way and put their skate on in same order and have same pregame ritual a rink size change is just standard?

No... Sorry but no!

The fact you did it every season probably has something to do with it. And I imagine as a kid you probably don't care all that much.

For my brother and I, playing our whole lives to that point on a bigger sheet and then moving over to play junior hockey at the highest level it's definitely a significant transition.

In Shestyorkins case, he'll have played something like 17-18 seasons as a goaltender on a European sheet and making the transition at NHL will obviously take some getting

used to. He might be able to make the switch immediately, but I think most goaltenders (and skaters) need some sort of adjustment period to get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...
this idea that the quality is so much better in the AHL than the KHL, because angles, is dumb.

For sure, KHL is a much higher skill league than the AHL, it would be pointless to send him to the AHL. He needs to come to training camp and prove his chops and if he holds up then Georgy is getting traded for picks

For sure, KHL is a much higher skill league than the AHL, it would be pointless to send him to the AHL. He needs to come to training camp and prove his chops and if he holds up then Georgy is getting traded for picks

I Disagree.

I have former players in the KHL, and am close friends with someone who coached up until last season.

Overall perhaps a better league due to age, but there are NA players that do very well in the KHL that didn?t do much in AHL. At best the KHL is a slightly more developed league

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The KHL is full of players who couldn't have the NHL and we're saying it's a good place to develop goalies? Stop.

Also no reason to trade Geogiev if he's a product of Allaire. We have Allaire. Not sure what the issue is.

Georgiev is nice, but Shesterkin is the future. Get him here when you have the chance before he signs another multiyear deal there, takes the starting job and delays longer or never comes. Shesterkin must be the organizations priority. If they've known this about Shesty's demands then part the of the reason Georgiev may be getting so many games may be to showcase him.