Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lundqvist Unveils Special '94 Mike Richter Tribute Mask

Senior Member Midget Division
    i never appreciated leetch more than when i sat 4 rows off the blueline at a devils game and watched him work the point on the PP. the way he moved back and forth in essentially an 8 foot square box was just a thing of beauty to behold.
    Acqua in bocca

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Watching game 4 on MSG, holy shit Leetch was awesome, I appreciate it even more now watching
    I really loved watching those guys play. Appreciate is definitely the best word to use there Vodka!!! =)

day-to-day Midget Division
    What a night. If you didn't see game or tribute, 16 minutes on nhl.com with link below. What a night.

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-ra...ns/c-304645280
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Have an ongoing argument RE-who is the best American-born defenseman, Leetch vs. Chelios. Longevity and physicality, give to Chelois, but Leetch offensively was incredible, and defensively around his net excellent. Suspect in part because he played in NY he actually got shortchanged. Played 1994 playoffs with a broken ankle that was frozen every pregame, and managed to win the Con Smythe.
    Chelios by a wide margin according to Mad Mike.

day-to-day Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Chelios by a wide margin according to Mad Mike.
    Chelios vs Leetch hockey reference
    https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...chelich01.html
    https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...leetcbr01.html

Chelios played in NHL hockey games with Atlanta at age 48, which is unbelievable, so longevity and sustained excellence I would give to Chelios.

Looking at each player age 27-33, Leetch had some unbelievable years. So you could argue Brian Leetch peak was better than Chris Chelios peak.

Chelios had 3 SCs, Leetch 1. Chelios won a SC at age 24, age 40, and age 46.

The Ranger fan in me wants to make the case for Leetch, but I would give the nod to Chelios.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Well I was just referring to the dressing room incident after the Ducks game.
    Keenan came into the dressing room and said something to the effect of "Brian fucking Leetch. Chris Chelios is way better than you. I'd trade you for him right now".

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Chelios vs Leetch hockey reference
    https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...chelich01.html
    https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...leetcbr01.html

Chelios played in NHL hockey games with Atlanta at age 48, which is unbelievable, so longevity and sustained excellence I would give to Chelios.

Looking at each player age 27-33, Leetch had some unbelievable years. So you could argue Brian Leetch peak was better than Chris Chelios peak.

Chelios had 3 SCs, Leetch 1. Chelios won a SC at age 24, age 40, and age 46.

The Ranger fan in me wants to make the case for Leetch, but I would give the nod to Chelios.
    At Age 40, Chelios led the NHL in +/- and finished 2nd in Norris voting. But because of his offense in their primes would give it to Leetch, and that's not slighting Chelios. Chelios played on some great teams throughout his career. Unfortunately for Leetch at the beginning and end of his NYR tenure the team mostly sucked. And had some horrendous luck; Richter and the 60 foot floater in 1992 in ECF, breaking his ankle and entire team revolting vs. Roger Nielson in 1993, and the general suck MessierII/post 1997.

Nielson was a very odd duck of a coach here; tried to play defense first style except when Messier's line was on. And when they fell behind he would give Leetch free reign to go end to end. Also had some very strange relationships that didn't help , with VBK and Froese not being very welcoming to Richter,and Gartner and Messier carrying a grudge back to their WHA days.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Leetch was a world class skater and offensively get the nod.
    Chelios was at a different level defensively, and perhaps in regards to leadership etc.

Close call

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12