• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Leafs Re-Sign F Auston Matthews to 5-Year $58.17M Extension; $11.634M AAV

Phil

Link:

I don't see how they can afford to keep both Marner and Kapanen. They'll have about 8 million in cap space + whatever the cap increases by for next year. At most 11.5 million based on a raise to an 83M cap?

Unless one or both of them sign 1 year bridge contracts to postpone a long term deal until Marleau's contract is off the books, but it's hard to see that happening.

I'd like to see the Rangers jump into this situation one way or another. The most likely would probably be to work out a trade for Kadri or Zaitsev to relieve them of those respective cap hits, while getting other compensation in return (Kapanen? Andreas Johnsson?). I'd rather not do Zaitsev at all, but it would depend on the package.

And why take the discount in your prime only 5 years, after that he may not be worth it

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Based on what precedent, freak injury? I'm not sure this is much of a discount at all. It gives him a guaranteed $58 million now and allows him to cash in a second time at 26 in free agency when the cap will inarguably be even higher.

According to Cap Friendly (https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator)...offer sheet compensation:

$8,118,642 - $10,148,302 2 First Round Picks, 1 Second Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick

$10,148,303 - ∞ 4 First Round Picks

A 7 year contract at $10,148,302 per year offer sheet for Marner would be matched by Toronto, no question. They would trade Nylander or find a way to unload a Zaitsev or Kadri.

I would be on the fence about biting that 4 1st round bullet. Technically if you offered him 7 years 12-12.5 million per you could really force Toronto's hand. I don't think they would be able to match.

Technically if you offered him 7 years 12-12.5 million per you could really force Toronto's hand. I don't think they would be able to match.

This is why I'm surprised that Matthews signed this deal, it is very team friendly. Very.

Part of the rationale behind this deal is that it allows him to be a UFA again at 26, but I'm not really sure that contract would be all that different than if he's 28. Cap will influence this, and contracts will go up but..

5x11.5 (57.5) + 7x15 (105) = 162.5

7x13 (91) + 6x14 (84) = 175

I guess he could be planning on his next contract being 4-5 years and then getting his last big deal at 30, but that's a tough sell to me.

5x11.5 (57.5) + 4x13 (52) + 7x12 (84) = 193.5, but I'm not sure he wouldn't be able to get that last 20 after signing a 6-year deal in the second scenario.

Archived