Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carp: McQuaid Drawing Interest from Toronto, Other Contenders

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Here's the list of Cup winners the last 10 years. These teams to my recollection were certainly NOT the Girl Scouts out there on the ice.

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins
    2010 Chicago Blackhawks
    2011 Boston Bruins
    2012 Los Angeles Kings
    2013 Chicago Blackhawks
    2014 Los Angeles Kings
    2015 Chicago Blackhawks
    2016 Pittsburgh Penguins
    2017 Pittsburgh Penguins
    2018 Washington Capitals

Also noted in bold are the 2014 Kings that literally beat the piss out of a much less physical Rangers team 4-1. I'm pretty sure you'll remember that one for "proof".

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    This was a much more accurate list in 2014. Wilson is the only impact player on there who does what you're referring to who the Rangers actually play.

Also, Justin Faulk is maybe the least physical player in the NHL and Corey Perry isn't playing....
    Yeah I realize Corey Perry but the point is that every team has some type of toughness factor who is/was competitive...I was going to list Shawn Thornton for the same reason but...well, he's not playing anymore either, but I'm fairly certain he was on that 2011 Boston team that had to go 7 games in 3 of their 4 series to capture the Stanley Cup.
    Last edited by Ozzy; 02-07-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Here's the list of Cup winners the last 10 years. These teams to my recollection were certainly NOT the Girl Scouts out there on the ice.

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins
    2010 Chicago Blackhawks
    2011 Boston Bruins
    2012 Los Angeles Kings
    2013 Chicago Blackhawks
    2014 Los Angeles Kings
    2015 Chicago Blackhawks
    2016 Pittsburgh Penguins
    2017 Pittsburgh Penguins
    2018 Washington Capitals

Also noted in bold are the 2014 Kings that literally beat the piss out of a much less physical Rangers team 4-1. I'm pretty sure you'll remember that one for "proof".
    The game is very different right now than 2014. That's kind of the point. A team built like that 2014 Kings team would get smoked night in and night out.

Pittsburgh has always been a bunch of girl scouts, they just have a couple of thugs to try to even it out. Washington is physical enough, but they're not steamrollers. Chicago has always won by being the most skilled team.

Every team needs toughness, to some degree, but the idea that some teams are out just running over others isn't true in the current NHL. There are no teams like that 2014 Kings squad that are any good.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Anaheim Ducks – Corey Perry
    Montreal Canadiens – Max Domi
    Boston Bruins – Zdeno Chara
    Vegas G Knights – Deryk Engelland
    Carolina Hurricanes – Justin Faulk
    Chicago Blackhawks – Jonathan Toews
    Vancouver Canucks – Antoine Roussel
    Edmonton Oilers – Milan Lucic
    Boston Bruins - Brad Marchand
    Los Angeles Kings – Kyle Clifford
    Los Angeles Kings – Dustin Brown
    Montreal Canadiens – Andrew Shaw
    New York Islanders – Matt Martin
    Philadelphia Flyers – Wayne Simmonds
    Washington Capitals – Tom Wilson
    Hell, even Ovechkin is a tough son of bitch...

This is just off the top of my head....Is it ok to still talk about how tough we're not?
    Two-thirds of the players on that list actually aren't good at hockey. The ones who are good are about as tough as Kreider.

Max Domi is 5-10 190.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The game is very different right now than 2014. That's kind of the point. A team built like that 2014 Kings team would get smoked night in and night out.

Pittsburgh has always been a bunch of girl scouts, they just have a couple of thugs to try to even it out. Washington is physical enough, but they're not steamrollers. Chicago has always won by being the most skilled team.

Every team needs toughness, to some degree, but the idea that some teams are out just running over others isn't true in the current NHL. There are no teams like that 2014 Kings squad that are any good.
    This is the uber point that's just not getting through.

Banned Midget Division
    But Ozzy has a point. There are no “pussy” teams who are winning cups.
    Btw, im not sure TB is one of them

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    But Ozzy has a point. There are no “pussy” teams who are winning cups.
    Btw, im not sure TB is one of them
    3 of last 4 Cup winners were skill teams. The Hawks and Penguins aren't running anyone over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    3 of last 4 Cup winners were skill teams. The Hawks and Penguins aren't running anyone over.
    The POINT is...NO ONE runs THEM over, Pete.

Listen man, I don't know if you've ever played the game...but for a guy who's played, albeit at a way smaller level...there's a part of the game called intimidation, and it gets in the opposition's head. It's when you're racing to the corner to get a loose puck, and in the back of your mind you either know one of 2 things:

1. I'm gonna get pounded for making this play, and I'm gonna feel it.
    2. I'm gonna hit this guy and turn him into a hieroglyphic!

There's certain point in the hockey psyche to me that you either ARE THE BITCH, or you MAKE someone your bitch. That's how a team can dominate.

The best example I can give you is Adam Graves.

The guy is the epitome of what I think a player should be; In Baseball they have what they call 5 tool players, right?

1. Hitting
    2. Throwing
    3. Fielding
    4. Running
    5. Hitting for power

Well, hockey isn't very different, although sometimes the press will make you think the game has changed; It actually has, but not for teams that win the cup...Sorry man, I know you disagree. Those teams I listed as cup winners were far from the pussies you see on the ice wearing a Rangers Jersey.

Here's the 5 tools I see in the NHL, my man:

1. Skating
    2. Shooting
    3. Hitting
    4. Awareness
    5. Toughness

Graves had them ALL, and even though I realize that this bunch of Kotex wearing punks we deploy on the ice each game, is most likely going to be working the night shift at a fucking Wendy's in about 2 seasons, they have very few of those 5 tools. Yes, Kreider has developed a few of them. Congratulations to him...he's about the only one. So yeah, time to build this team the right way. Unload the players that lack the most and replace with hungry, tougher, more skilled young guys. They're out there!

Not only that, but we can build them. We have a new coach who I believe can instill a new attitude in these guys...and wants to!

Now, I don't think every player is going to have all of those tools...however the CHEMISTRY when you create a team or even a line MUST have that formula or they're going to be ineffective due to the lack of one of those! ESPECIALLY toughness, and that's THE POINT. It just seems to me that every team that comes to play us, seems to possess that intimidation factor over us. They outwork us, outskate us, dominate on face off's, get more bodies to the net and also outshoot us...sometimes by A LOT.

Basically it feels like we're overpowered.

Am I the only one that feels this way??

I'd be surprised if so...but you guys gotta admit. I think this team really is as soft as a White Castle turd the last few seasons.

The Rangers aren't overpowered because they're pussies, they're overpowered because they have no talent. You're trying to build a team that would win in an era of hockey that no longer exists.

I don't know Future...I see guys like Buchnevich that has talent....lots of it. The problem with this kid is "many-fold". He seems to be very light on the puck...look at the turnover a couple of games ago...I think some guy in the 8th row sneezed, he loses the puck from behind, the team goes right in and beats Hank like a rented mule. They're just too soft in my opinion.

I do agree that the days of the Broadstreet Bullies are long gone, BUT I do feel there is a place in the game, and has been, for team grit, unity, toughness and intimidation...ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

I watched a Caps team last season play a game that was a lot different from the Caps of the recent past before that. They played a WAY MORE more aggressive style than I've seen in years past. Even star players like Ovechkin were getting their noses dirty.

We shall see again this season, my man! I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I do agree the game is different now; it's gone from a "collision sport" to a "contact sport" in my eyes. I don't know how to phrase that any better, but I know you catch my drift

Don't get me wrong, man. I get your opinion and I totally respect where you're coming from. I just feel that there is a part of the game that still exists much to the chagrin of the media, and what they're trying to sell.
    Last edited by Ozzy; 02-08-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Yea I don't disagree that grit, toughness and all that have their place. I just don't, at this point, think that's the problem for the Rangers.

Buch being weak on the puck isn't just because he's not tough, it's because he's not that good. Patrick Kane never loses the puck like that, but nobody would confuse him with Donal Brashear (for, like, a thousand reasons lol).

Yea I don't disagree that grit, toughness and all that have their place. I just don't, at this point, think that's the problem for the Rangers.

Buch being weak on the puck isn't just because he's not tough, it's because he's not that good. Patrick Kane never loses the puck like that, but nobody would confuse him with Donal Brashear (for, like, a thousand reasons lol).
    I'm with you man!!

I just didn't want you to think that I'm going down that "we need a bunch of fighters" road. It's not that at all, I know you get where I'm coming from. Yeah, this team needs some serious re-tooling...I just want to see some grittier players that can play the game.

Kinda like what Herb Brooks says in the movie Miracle..."I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the RIGHT players"...Great stuff!!!

I'm with you man!!

I just didn't want you to think that I'm going down that "we need a bunch of fighters" road. It's not that at all, I know you get where I'm coming from. Yeah, this team needs some serious re-tooling...I just want to see some grittier players that can play the game.

Kinda like what Herb Brooks says in the movie Miracle..."I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the RIGHT players"...Great stuff!!!
    Lol, no, I get what you're saying about toughness. I just don't really agree that, in today's game, the Rangers are so much less physical than they need to be. For the most part, they're right in line with the majority of teams.

The idea of running another team over to win a Cup is an idea that I think is dead in the current NHL, that doesn't mean toughness is irrelevant, just that it's not a driving force.

I can live that theory, Future.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The POINT is...NO ONE runs THEM over, Pete.

Listen man, I don't know if you've ever played the game...but for a guy who's played, albeit at a way smaller level...there's a part of the game called intimidation, and it gets in the opposition's head. It's when you're racing to the corner to get a loose puck, and in the back of your mind you either know one of 2 things:

1. I'm gonna get pounded for making this play, and I'm gonna feel it.
    2. I'm gonna hit this guy and turn him into a hieroglyphic!

There's certain point in the hockey psyche to me that you either ARE THE BITCH, or you MAKE someone your bitch. That's how a team can dominate.

The best example I can give you is Adam Graves.

The guy is the epitome of what I think a player should be; In Baseball they have what they call 5 tool players, right?

1. Hitting
    2. Throwing
    3. Fielding
    4. Running
    5. Hitting for power

Well, hockey isn't very different, although sometimes the press will make you think the game has changed; It actually has, but not for teams that win the cup...Sorry man, I know you disagree. Those teams I listed as cup winners were far from the pussies you see on the ice wearing a Rangers Jersey.

Here's the 5 tools I see in the NHL, my man:

1. Skating
    2. Shooting
    3. Hitting
    4. Awareness
    5. Toughness

Graves had them ALL, and even though I realize that this bunch of Kotex wearing punks we deploy on the ice each game, is most likely going to be working the night shift at a fucking Wendy's in about 2 seasons, they have very few of those 5 tools. Yes, Kreider has developed a few of them. Congratulations to him...he's about the only one. So yeah, time to build this team the right way. Unload the players that lack the most and replace with hungry, tougher, more skilled young guys. They're out there!

Not only that, but we can build them. We have a new coach who I believe can instill a new attitude in these guys...and wants to!

Now, I don't think every player is going to have all of those tools...however the CHEMISTRY when you create a team or even a line MUST have that formula or they're going to be ineffective due to the lack of one of those! ESPECIALLY toughness, and that's THE POINT. It just seems to me that every team that comes to play us, seems to possess that intimidation factor over us. They outwork us, outskate us, dominate on face off's, get more bodies to the net and also outshoot us...sometimes by A LOT.

Basically it feels like we're overpowered.

Am I the only one that feels this way??

I'd be surprised if so...but you guys gotta admit. I think this team really is as soft as a White Castle turd the last few seasons.
    Yea, like 10 years ago. Now speed and skill are what scares other teams. Because you can't just unload on players the way you used to, the way the game is called today.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Yet Simmonds and Ferland are two of the “bigger” names out there.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Good point.

Probably has nothing to do with the fact they score goals and go to the net.

Moderator Squirt Division
    Lol, no, I get what you're saying about toughness. I just don't really agree that, in today's game, the Rangers are so much less physical than they need to be. For the most part, they're right in line with the majority of teams.

The idea of running another team over to win a Cup is an idea that I think is dead in the current NHL, that doesn't mean toughness is irrelevant, just that it's not a driving force.
    Last year was the first wire-to-wire playoffs I had watched in a long time. The game does get different. Brooks Orpik went from a painfully slow, borderline competent regular season D-man to an absolute linchpin of the Caps' post-season backline based on the increase in physicality between the regular season and the playoffs. I don't know if "running over" another team is the right way to put it, but the Playoff game still whittles down to endurance, physical toughness, and pure will to get to the next round. The skill guys still have to do their thing and speed is more of a factor than its ever been. A hot goalie still rules. But everybody plays a tougher physical game and you have to be outfitted for that to go the distance. I see McQuaid in that Orpik mode and totally get why there is interest from contenders.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Dreger was asked if he thought the Maple Leafs would have any interest in McQuaid.

“I can’t say they wouldn’t,” allowed Dreger. “He’s a character guy. I know the Rangers like him a lot. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets traded and then potentially signs back with the Rangers in the off-season.
    https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/arch...s-trade-assets
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I would absolutely love that. McQuaid is a cup winner and can essentially be a captain without a letter and is a great example for younger players about doing whatever it takes to make it in the league.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast