• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: McQuaid Drawing Interest from Toronto, Other Contenders

Phil

McQuaid, who cost the Rangers a fourth-rounder when they got him from Boston in September, has drawn interest from Toronto, which still needs defensemen, and other contenders would love to add a guy with grit, experience and a Stanley Cup ring, especially one with a reputation as a good teammate. So the Rangers expect to recoup at least what they gave up for McQuaid, but likely would get a third (Nick Holden brought a third-rounder and a minor-leaguer from Boston last season).

https://theathletic.com/799092/2019/02/04/as-trade-deadline-nears-heres-why-it-makes-sense-for-rangers-to-deal-hayes-zuccarello-and-others/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like McQuaid, he is a guy I wouldn't mind holding onto. He could be a good mentor for the young guys, and he has been pretty solid in his end. He said he likes it here in New York and would like to stay. Plus, he is good to have in a young locker room.

Depends on what you use to define "solid in his own end."

If you go by possession metrics, he's the Rangers' worst defenseman. Babcock likes guys who play like McQuaid, so I'm not surprised they're interested, but McQuaid's not a good player in today's NHL.

He's tough too, and it may deter some teams from taking liberties with our young players...especially our newer good young players to be named at a later date! ;)

I like McQuaid too, and the whole team basically sucks defensively. No worries Future! They're all in the same boat there! :rofl:

If you go by possession metrics, he's the Rangers' worst defenseman. Babcock likes guys who play like McQuaid, so I'm not surprised they're interested, but McQuaid's not a good player in today's NHL.

I disagree. He’s not a good defender by metrics standards. But that doesn’t mean he’s not a good defender. On a second or third pairing he’ll be very useful.

He's tough too, and it may deter some teams from taking liberties with our young players...especially our newer good young players to be named at a later date! ;)

I like McQuaid too, and the whole team basically sucks defensively. No worries Future! They're all in the same boat there! :rofl:

Yeah, this isn't actually a thing. I enjoy rough-and-tumble hockey, too but the idea that enforcer-types (what few remain) actually deter anything is nonsense. What they can do is exact revenge, but their presence alone isn't stopping some would-be opponent from running Chytil through a wall.

Well, he also plays too many minutes in too high-profile a role on a historically bad shot share team. On a team like TOR, those numbers aren't likely to look as ugly as they do here.

Well, he also plays too many minutes in too high-profile a role on a historically bad shot share team. On a team like TOR, those numbers aren't likely to look as ugly as they do here.

I mean, Pionk doesn't get the benefit of the doubt there.

Also, McQuaid is 7th among Rangers D in 5v5 TOI per game - only Smith and Lindgren are lower. He's not playing top minutes, he's basically in the role that he'd be in on any team.

Yeah, this isn't actually a thing. I enjoy rough-and-tumble hockey, too but the idea that enforcer-types (what few remain) actually deter anything is nonsense. What they can do is exact revenge, but their presence alone isn't stopping some would-be opponent from running Chytil through a wall.

I don't know man...I suppose there's no way to actually prove this either way. All I know is that when a tough team comes to town, we can't match their toughness on the ice.

I can't help it Phil, I'm partial to tough play and tougher players. I know everyone thinks the game has progressed past that and maybe it has. But the playoffs and the grind take their toll on players I believe, and when the chips are on the table I want an Adam Graves type or a Jeff Beukeboom type player who's not going to take any shit.

If revenge is the tactic, so be it. In a 7 game series there's plenty of room to exact your imprint on an opposition. I know it's not the popular belief these days, but I'd rather see tough playoff hockey than a bunch of figure skaters licking their wounds in the locker room.

Again, that's me, and when the Rangers were most successful, they played a tough brand of hockey...not all out brawls, and shit like that, but hard hitting and maybe take a poke at a player or two who needs it, sure why not?

All the more reason not to suggest it exists. I like tough play and tough players, too. But I long ago gave up on the idea that they are some kind of nuclear deterrent. The laundry list of players who've been hurt on the ice via dirty hits is evidence enough for me to abandon it. Especially when you consider how many of them played on teams with enforcers, sometimes with that enforcer dressed in that game, and sometimes even on the ice with said player at the same time.

All the more reason not to suggest it exists. I like tough play and tough players, too. But I long ago gave up on the idea that they are some kind of nuclear deterrent. The laundry list of players who've been hurt on the ice via dirty hits is evidence enough for me to abandon it. Especially when you consider how many of them played on teams with enforcers, sometimes with that enforcer dressed in that game, and sometimes even on the ice with said player at the same time.

It's not even the fighting part that really does it for me though. I just don't see some of our players lasting very long in a 7 game series, or even being much of a factor after a Game 3. I just don't think that perimeter game is the way to win in the playoffs. Guys Kreider that go to the net and take a beating in front; Alright, granted that no one on the team shoots the damn thing in the first place, he's useless there...

But....

If we had a team that would get the puck to the net after maybe a pass or possibly 2...NOT 19!! Then a net front presence, with a couple of muckers and a sniper or 2 could work.

It's really a moot point though, because this team is looking more and more like it's just a bunch of low 3rd and 4th liners on their way outta here in 2 or 3 years.

It's not even the fighting part that really does it for me though. I just don't see some of our players lasting very long in a 7 game series, or even being much of a factor after a Game 3. I just don't think that perimeter game is the way to win in the playoffs. Guys Kreider that go to the net and take a beating in front; Alright, granted that no one on the team shoots the damn thing in the first place, he's useless there...

But....

If we had a team that would get the puck to the net after maybe a pass or possibly 2...NOT 19!! Then a net front presence, with a couple of muckers and a sniper or 2 could work.

It's really a moot point though, because this team is looking more and more like it's just a bunch of low 3rd and 4th liners on their way outta here in 2 or 3 years.

Yea, Quinn hasn't built his team or gotten his players yet. If Quinn sticks around, the more competitive version of the Rangers will be getting a lot more pucks and bodies to the net.

But the league is trending towards perimeter play. Like it or not, the fact that they are more quick to call slashing, interference, holding, etc. etc. enables and encourages more use of skill.

He may be gone in the next week or so, well before the deadline. There are various players of his ilk available, so you may not want to wait too long. Very good guy to have in the wings when your defense has become battered in the playoffs. If Brendan Smith was playing on Detroit's third unit when we gave up a 2d rounder for him as a rental, could McQuaid rate that kind of return? Obviously a 3rd rounder ala Holden is more likely. Definitely should bring more than a 4th.

No, you're gonna have to name some big tough successful teams who run us over physically if you want to keep talking about it.

There is literally no proof of any of it.

Anaheim Ducks – Corey Perry

Montreal Canadiens – Max Domi

Boston Bruins – Zdeno Chara

Vegas G Knights – Deryk Engelland

Carolina Hurricanes – Justin Faulk

Chicago Blackhawks – Jonathan Toews

Vancouver Canucks – Antoine Roussel

Edmonton Oilers – Milan Lucic

Boston Bruins - Brad Marchand

Los Angeles Kings – Kyle Clifford

Los Angeles Kings – Dustin Brown

Montreal Canadiens – Andrew Shaw

New York Islanders – Matt Martin

Philadelphia Flyers – Wayne Simmonds

Washington Capitals – Tom Wilson

Hell, even Ovechkin is a tough son of bitch...

This is just off the top of my head....Is it ok to still talk about how tough we're not? ;)

This is just off the top of my head....Is it ok to still talk about how tough we're not? ;)

This was a much more accurate list in 2014. Wilson is the only impact player on there who does what you're referring to who the Rangers actually play.

Also, Justin Faulk is maybe the least physical player in the NHL and Corey Perry isn't playing....

Here's the list of Cup winners the last 10 years. These teams to my recollection were certainly NOT the Girl Scouts out there on the ice.

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins

2010 Chicago Blackhawks

2011 Boston Bruins

2012 Los Angeles Kings

2013 Chicago Blackhawks

2014 Los Angeles Kings

2015 Chicago Blackhawks

2016 Pittsburgh Penguins

2017 Pittsburgh Penguins

2018 Washington Capitals

Also noted in bold are the 2014 Kings that literally beat the piss out of a much less physical Rangers team 4-1. I'm pretty sure you'll remember that one for "proof".

This was a much more accurate list in 2014. Wilson is the only impact player on there who does what you're referring to who the Rangers actually play.

Also, Justin Faulk is maybe the least physical player in the NHL and Corey Perry isn't playing....

Yeah I realize Corey Perry but the point is that every team has some type of toughness factor who is/was competitive...I was going to list Shawn Thornton for the same reason but...well, he's not playing anymore either, but I'm fairly certain he was on that 2011 Boston team that had to go 7 games in 3 of their 4 series to capture the Stanley Cup.

Here's the list of Cup winners the last 10 years. These teams to my recollection were certainly NOT the Girl Scouts out there on the ice.

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins

2010 Chicago Blackhawks

2011 Boston Bruins

2012 Los Angeles Kings

2013 Chicago Blackhawks

2014 Los Angeles Kings

2015 Chicago Blackhawks

2016 Pittsburgh Penguins

2017 Pittsburgh Penguins

2018 Washington Capitals

Also noted in bold are the 2014 Kings that literally beat the piss out of a much less physical Rangers team 4-1. I'm pretty sure you'll remember that one for "proof".

The game is very different right now than 2014. That's kind of the point. A team built like that 2014 Kings team would get smoked night in and night out.

Pittsburgh has always been a bunch of girl scouts, they just have a couple of thugs to try to even it out. Washington is physical enough, but they're not steamrollers. Chicago has always won by being the most skilled team.

Every team needs toughness, to some degree, but the idea that some teams are out just running over others isn't true in the current NHL. There are no teams like that 2014 Kings squad that are any good.

Two-thirds of the players on that list actually aren't good at hockey. The ones who are good are about as tough as Kreider.

Max Domi is 5-10 190.

The game is very different right now than 2014. That's kind of the point. A team built like that 2014 Kings team would get smoked night in and night out.

Pittsburgh has always been a bunch of girl scouts, they just have a couple of thugs to try to even it out. Washington is physical enough, but they're not steamrollers. Chicago has always won by being the most skilled team.

Every team needs toughness, to some degree, but the idea that some teams are out just running over others isn't true in the current NHL. There are no teams like that 2014 Kings squad that are any good.

This is the uber point that's just not getting through.

Archived