• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Rangers to Speed Up Rebuild Via Offer Sheet This Summer?

Phil

The Rangers, I think and am led to believe, are going to speed up their rebuild between now and July. Especially in July. I think they?re going to step on the gas pedal with all-in bids on youngish unrestricted free agents, and perhaps, with this suddenly becoming an advancing and popular way of thinking around the NHL, with an offer sheet to a coveted restricted free agent whose team is up against the salary cap.

Again, in ?04, no worries. Now, most teams that stockpile talent are eventually bitten in the wallet by the contracts needed to keep that talent. Good teams better win quickly, because cap hell is right around the corner. Thus offer sheets ? formerly a no-no in the gentlemanly NHL ? could actually materialize.

To spend on free agents, whether UFAs or RFAs, the Rangers are going to need to maintain and add cap space. Saving the $5.175 million Hayes makes this season, not to mention the $6 million-plus he?d get next season, is a start. Cut out Mats Zuccarello?s $4.5 million, and you suddenly have enough for a major addition (not naming names, but you know who they are).

https://theathletic.com/799092/2019/02/04/as-trade-deadline-nears-heres-why-it-makes-sense-for-rangers-to-deal-hayes-zuccarello-and-others/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So trade Hayes to save 6 million to go overspend on another UFA? What a fantastic idea.

What? No. That's not at all what Carp is angling at here. He's suggesting that they'd use the money they are saving not spending on Hayes (plus whatever additional cap room) to offer sheet a high-profile RFA. Matthews, Marner, Laine, and Brayden Point are all noteworthy names on that front.

What? No. That's not at all what Carp is angling at here. He's suggesting that they'd use the money they are saving not spending on Hayes (plus whatever additional cap room) to offer sheet a high-profile RFA. Matthews, Marner, Laine, and Brayden Point are all noteworthy names on that front.

To spend on free agents, whether UFAs or RFAs, the Rangers are going to need to maintain and add cap space. Saving the $5.175 million Hayes makes this season, not to mention the $6 million-plus he’d get next season, is a start.

He left it open to UFAs.

On the RFA front, you are looking at losing the max compensation for anyone worth an offer sheet in the Rangers' position. What I mean by that is Rantenen/Marner/Matthews/Point/Tkachuk/Laine/Aho would all command a contract that would A) be enough for them to sign, and B) be enough for the owning team to say "nah, not at that price". That means 10+ m a season or whatever it is for any of them...and with that price tag is a 4 1st round draft pick loss. Instead of the Rangers being the Rangers now, they would just turn into the Oilers. Hey, they have McDavid, but the rest of their team is basically trash.

Since when has the offer sheet strategy ever been proven to work? That's meant to be a serious question. To me it seems to be an incredible stretch to count on that as a realistic possibility.

Last one that worked was Dustin Penner.. Perhaps that scared the shit out of anyone :D

That Shea Webber offer sheet was a friggin doozy

Wow, so I looked up signed offer sheets and Dustin Penner was the last signed offer sheet not to be matched in 2007. Prior to that, it hadn't happened since 1997, but it happened a bunch in the 90s.

One thing I didn't know, Adam Graves signed an offer sheet with the Rangers from EDM in 1991 (5 years x 2.44m), which is insane when you look at this stats from those years (highlighted):

YesPUYV.png

Another absolutely mindboggling aspect of this deal is that the compensation to EDM was a guy named Troy Mallette. Now I don't know anything about this guy, but if you peep his stats, it looks like he's a fourth liner.

Wow' date=' so I looked up signed offer sheets and Dustin Penner was the last signed offer sheet not to be matched in 2007. Prior to that, it hadn't happened since 1997, but it happened a bunch in the 90s.

One thing I didn't know, Adam Graves signed an offer sheet with the Rangers from EDM in 1991 (5 years x 2.44m), which is insane when you look at this stats from those years (highlighted):

Another absolutely mindboggling aspect of this deal is that the compensation to EDM was a guy named Troy Mallette. Now I don't know anything about this guy, but if you peep his stats, it looks like he's a fourth liner.

That list and what the Blues did in 1990-1991....lol.

1990 - Signed Scott Stevens, lost 5 1st rounders to the Caps for it.

1991 - Signed Brendan Shanahan, lost Scott Stevens to the Devils for it.

He left it open to UFAs.

On the RFA front, you are looking at losing the max compensation for anyone worth an offer sheet in the Rangers' position. What I mean by that is Rantenen/Marner/Matthews/Point/Tkachuk/Laine/Aho would all command a contract that would A) be enough for them to sign, and B) be enough for the owning team to say "nah, not at that price". That means 10+ m a season or whatever it is for any of them...and with that price tag is a 4 1st round draft pick loss. Instead of the Rangers being the Rangers now, they would just turn into the Oilers. Hey, they have McDavid, but the rest of their team is basically trash.

I'm on the fence about whether or not a full-throated run at an RFA is the right thing to do given how much work needs to be done on the blue line to make right by any improvements up front, but objectively, four first-round picks for a player like Marner is something I'd do every day. You know what you are getting in him. A top-ten NHL player. Those four first-rounders can be anything. What if it's four-straight Anderssons?

I'm on the fence about whether or not a full-throated run at an RFA is the right thing to do given how much work needs to be done on the blue line to make right by any improvements up front, but objectively, four first-round picks for a player like Marner is something I'd do every day. You know what you are getting in him. A top-ten NHL player. Those four first-rounders can be anything. What if it's four-straight Anderssons?

And what if suffers a serious injury or regresses once that player gets here? What ifs work both ways.

I'm more or less playing devil's advocate. There's a couple on this list that would give me pause...Matthews, Marner, Laine. Just don't know how you are supposed to fix the rest of the team with limited cap space at that point, and no 1st round draft picks for 4 years. It's probably a better idea to do it in 2 years after we've stocked the cupboards and lose a bunch of contracts off the books (Henrik, Shattenkirk, Smith, Staal).

You need to offer an amount just below the compensation thresholds, but still go really steep if you are not just putting lures into the water. I think the value is in putting up a high salary for a proven guy on the second or third tiers, who the other team might not be able to match the offer for - either because of cap or finances. I'm just throwing some names and figures out there:

Brayden Point 8M AAV - Cost: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Kyle Connor 8M AAV - Cost: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Cody Ceci 6M AAV - 1st, 3rd

Kasperi Kapanen 6M AAV - 1st, 3rd

I think we have to look at a team that?s close to their cap and make the offersheet tight for them to match. Like Calgary & Mathew Tkachuk. They will have 13 mil. in cap next year and have to sign at least 7 players including Tkachuk and Mike Smith or some other goalie.

Or simply just call a team and say hey we are gonna offersheet player x, we are gonna front load it so you won?t be able to match so why don?t we just work out a trade.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

On one hand, Gorton will have the draft capital to make the payment palatable. Make a godfather offer on Marner, let Toronto match and turn around and do the same on Matthews when Toronto is in cap hell.

The NHL talking heads seem to think this might be the summer to see some RFA action. I for one hope we see a boat load of offer sheets extended, its great cap management drama.

Brian Burke may have an aneurysm

I think we have to look at a team that?s close to their cap and make the offersheet tight for them to match. Like Calgary & Mathew Tkachuk. They will have 13 mil. in cap next year and have to sign at least 7 players including Tkachuk and Mike Smith or some other goalie.

Or simply just call a team and say hey we are gonna offersheet player x, we are gonna front load it so you won?t be able to match so why don?t we just work out a trade.

agreed. this is the way i would go. don't the other team have a week to match? wouldn't that slow you down on other moves in the interim.

Tkachuk is a bitch of a player. Garden would love him.

I think we have to look at a team that’s close to their cap and make the offersheet tight for them to match. Like Calgary & Mathew Tkachuk. They will have 13 mil. in cap next year and have to sign at least 7 players including Tkachuk and Mike Smith or some other goalie.

Or simply just call a team and say hey we are gonna offersheet player x, we are gonna front load it so you won’t be able to match so why don’t we just work out a trade.

I agree with the theory, but Calgary is going to have closer to $20m in space next year and Tkachuk is the only expensive player they have to re-sign.

Toronto is really the only team with cap trouble and impact FAs.

I agree with the theory, but Calgary is going to have closer to $20m in space next year and Tkachuk is the only expensive player they have to re-sign.

Toronto is really the only team with cap trouble and impact FAs.

i think Toronto would move heaven and earth to keep matthews, though i love the idea of an offer sheet. a better scenario would be if he came out and said babcock's a toolbag who he doesn't want to work with long term to try to force the Leaf's hand.

i think Toronto would move heaven and earth to keep matthews, though i love the idea of an offer sheet. a better scenario would be if he came out and said babcock's a toolbag who he doesn't want to work with long term to try to force the Leaf's hand.

I'd offer sheet Matthews at something like $13.5. TOR would have to decide if Matthews is worth 4 first-round picks plus Nylander and Kapanen (or whichever players get moved to make room).

I can absolutely see Dubas getting cute there.

As an aside, I feel like I've seen a 5x$11m contract kicked around for Matthews. That would be a serious discount.

https://twitter.com/SteveBurtch/status/1092124307537313792

Archived