• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Hayes to Jets, Heating Up?

Phil

And Hayes, as of Monday, will have three weeks or less to be a Ranger, barring an unexpected turn of events.

Before and during the Rangers? 3-2 loss to Tampa Bay at the Garden, word was that Winnipeg is ramping up its interest in Hayes, the unrestricted free-agent-to-be who would be a perfect fit as a rental for a team that?s a piece or two away from taking a serious run at the Stanley Cup. A run that will certainly feature the team that beat the Rangers on Saturday night, which is bulked up by ex-Rangers.

Hayes and the Rangers are not in any serious discussions, if at all, on a contract extension, which means he?s out the door on or before Feb. 25. He told me, ?It?s out of my hands.?

https://theathletic.com/797764/2019/02/03/kevin-hayes-surely-to-be-gone-soon-puts-forth-his-best-for-the-rangers/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This current iteration of the Jets is a bit top heavy, and sure could use the quality of center depth Hayes could offer an already Cup-contending roster ? especially when considering just how much contending teams emphasize depth down the middle. That explains why they?ve been sniffing around Kevin Hayes of late, according to Rick Carpiniello of The Athletic.

Make no bones about it ? nothing is unseating Mark Scheifele, the Jets? second-leading scorer this season (62), from the teams? first line. But the drop off in points from Scheifele to Bryan Little (34), who centers Winnpeg?s second line with Patrik Laine, is stark. Little has scored just two fewer points than Hayes on the year, but in ten more games.

That drop in point production becomes precipitous once you get to the Jets? third line center, Adam Lowry who has just 14 points in 50 games.

It sure stands to reason that a club in as fortunate a position as Winnipeg is would see fit to bolster their depth ahead of what they hope is a very long playoff run ? just as they did last year by acquiring Paul Stastny at the deadline, before losing him to free agency. Since the Jets still haven?t replace what they lost last July, there?s reason to believe they?d make a similar move this year at the deadline for a center. Even more so given the pending restricted free agency of Laine, who?s next contract could dramatically alter the quality of team these Jets can put together around him moving forward.

The Jets don?t just have an inherent need for a player of Hayes? caliber, either. They have the requisite assets to entice the Rangers in making a deal with them in the first place. Winnipeg owns its own first- and second-round picks in this years? draft, not to mention a trove of up-and-coming prospects that should have the Rangers? interest piqued.

It?s probable the Rangers would have interest in Sami Niku. The 22-year-old rookie defenseman is a good skater and has a long-range outlook that projects him an intelligent, puck-moving defenseman.

Mason Appleton, 23, is another name to consider. A playmaking winger, Appleton projects as a quality middle-six point-producer and comes with a solid 6?2 NHL frame.

Or perhaps the Rangers would go for the son of an old ghost in Brendan Lemieux. If Max Domi can pull on a Canadiens sweater, why couldn?t the spawn of Claude don a blue shirt?

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/2/4/18210095/kevin-hayes-would-provide-boost-to-jets-high-octane-offense

I hated Lemieux because he was good and a nasty pest of a player. To call his kid a spawn of Claude makes it sound like he's a growth instead of a player.

A deal with the Jets sounds like the best fit compared with other rumors.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

spawn

/sp?n/

"(of a person) produce (offspring)"

so hayes is pretty much a goner. that's sad. I feel that with trading Hayes, the rangers wont go after Panarin and whomever else is out there and here come the dark ages for another 5 years.

but on the other hand, even with Hayes and Panarin, we would still need 2-3 years to build a solid defense. by then Hayes will be nearing the twilight.

I don't know. I so torn. I don't want to spend 5-6 years or more of my life waiting for something that may never come.

so hayes is pretty much a goner. that's sad. I feel that with trading Hayes, the rangers wont go after Panarin and whomever else is out there and here come the dark ages for another 5 years.

but on the other hand, even with Hayes and Panarin, we would still need 2-3 years to build a solid defense. by then Hayes will be nearing the twilight.

I don't know. I so torn. I don't want to spend 5-6 years or more of my life waiting for something that may never come.

CC, I hear ya dude!! I've been battling that feeling all season, man! It's not the fact that I dislike Hayes, it's just that by the time this franchise is viable again, he'll be that shit contract we'll need to unload to get what we need to put us over...kinda like the Staal's and Shatty's we have now.

I'm of the side of let's do this right and cut bait now. Otherwise we'll just flounder in the realm of mediocrity for the next 10 years with no end in sight.

I still feel we have a good chance at scoring a very high draft pick this year...maybe even a #1 or #2, which could do absolute wonders for us going forward. Trying to make the playoffs this year is basically a useless or futile gesture in my opinion, because what could we possibly do even if we make it??? Go out in 4 games?? Maybe 5???

Big deal!

I say the hell with it! Let's just deal away all these pieces of sh.... roster, and couple them with the talent we do have now to re-stock the barn! Like you said, the players we have now will be at, or near their twilight when have rebuilt the program.

It's possible, sure. History suggests it rarely ever happens, though. Much as he loves New York, I'd imagine he loves the chance of winning and playing in the playoffs on a contending team more. Certainly once he gets a taste of it again.

Archived