Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Political Thread: New Rules; New Attitude

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Second item under header titled Losers

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Second item under header titled Losers
    Holy shit. Missed that. Makes zero sense...

Tuition was cut 10% across the board, so everyone benefits. Why would I pay for other kids to go to school when mine will have to take out loans? How is that fair?

Low income can take out OSAP loans like my kids will and like I did. Tuition isn't expensive here, relative to the US, it cost me less than 15k CDN to make my wife a practical nurse.
    Last edited by Dunny; 04-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Moderator Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    The new Tesla isnt proven yet. It came out recently, not sure how viable it is yet.
    Leaf, as far as i heard is crap.
    What about a car for a family that has more than half a child that could fit into the small Tesla? What about a family of 5 or 6? Like i said, entice manufacturers to come up with better product, then u can entice thr public to switch
    There's a lot going on with the Model 3. The $35k Model 3 isn't really the "new Tesla." The difference between the Standard Plus and Standard is battery range, so I don't think "unproven" is the right description - especially when the Model 3 was the top-selling luxury car in the US in 2018. Hard to call something unproven when there are approaching a quarter million of them in people's driveways around the world. Apparently, what isn't proven is its sales viability of the lower-range version as yesterday Tesla stopped the ability of customers to order the $35k model online. It seems they weren't selling enough of them to warrant the dip in profit margin. You can still order by phone or in one of their showrooms.

I have a friend who had a Leaf and did not like it all that much, but now has a Chevy Bolt (starts at $36k before the tax credit) - which he loves. I'm just saying that virtually every automaker is developing an electric line, whether plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) at this point or full electric, and improvements to drive trains and software are coming quickly while each is competing to increase range and drive prices into the conventional IC range.

I share frustration over size limitations. My neighbor went for the 3-seat $80k Tesla for his growing family, but that's just nuts. Our last car was facing an untimely death last fall and we wanted to go PHEV or electric, but we couldn't find the right size to accommodate the whole family that was affordable for us. We almost went for the Kia Niro PHEV, but it was just a little too small. We also passed on the Mistubishi Outlander PHEV, which was actually a little too big. We finally ended up with a Toyota RAV4 hybrid which, unlike most standard hybrids, gets better city than highway mileage. We have always driven cars into the ground but would be willing to turn over at 40k miles if a genuinely suitable PHEV or electric model comes along.

Yeah, lemme know when I can get a 3/4 tonne in electric that won't take me three weeks to drive across the country with.

I'm going the other way. I want a '81 Scottsdale.

Yeah, lemme know when I can get a 3/4 tonne in electric that won't take me three weeks to drive across the country with.

I'm going the other way. I want a '81 Scottsdale.
    Oh baby, they're in the pipeline. It doesn't take a savant auto exec to figure out that if you want to sell electrics, deliver a pickup with equivalent torque and power to IC. It's all about battery size and charging speed. But it's coming.

In 1981, I was driving an F150 for work where you still had to manually lock the hubs to get 4-wheel drive. I'm not immune to the charms.

No. Power. Anything.

I wanna rollll that window

No. Power. Anything.

I wanna rollll that window
    Lol. Yeah. Easier to open when frozen, too.

Senior Member Mite Division Bieser's Avatar
    Yup. I had an 86 F150. Triangle vent windows. High beam switch on the floor.
    In 1994 I thought I could die in peace...now I'm hungry again.

Senior Member Squirt Division NY Chief's Avatar
    You know I "gotta"..... you guys that are so full onboard with the climate change / protect the environment cause....how do you deal with the environmental impact of the spent EV batteries? Not being factitious. Honestly I don't know. I'm sure it's been or being addressed?

Quote Originally Posted by NY Chief View Post
    You know I "gotta"..... you guys that are so full onboard with the climate change / protect the environment cause....how do you deal with the environmental impact of the spent EV batteries? Not being factitious. Honestly I don't know. I'm sure it's been or being addressed?
    It's a nascent area as there are still so (relatively) few EVs on the road, but definitely good to be thinking/preparing at this stage. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mXSMwZUiCU Also has interesting stuff about Formula E batteries.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Thanks.

NYC and Long Island really need to be separated from the rest of New York. 110k goes so much further outside of NYC. The salary determination should be variable based on an average cost of living, rather than a fixed salary.
    This is my issue as well. Living down state, families need to make more money to afford to live here. With property taxes going up every year, its almost impossible to make a combined 110K as a family. This state truly hates the middle class. They tax the shit out of us, and then we get zero of these benefits.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Tuition was cut 10% across the board, so everyone benefits. Why would I pay for other kids to go to school when mine will have to take out loans? How is that fair?

Low income can take out OSAP loans like my kids will and like I did. Tuition isn't expensive here, relative to the US, it cost me less than 15k CDN to make my wife a practical nurse.
    When I went to college, I couldn't get too much aid because they claimed my parents made too much money, which was nonsense. They paid for my sister and my first years of college, we had to pay for the rest. I couldn't imagine having to do that now with what colleges cost. Even community college here is almost $500-$1000 a credit.

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    There's a lot going on with the Model 3. The $35k Model 3 isn't really the "new Tesla." The difference between the Standard Plus and Standard is battery range, so I don't think "unproven" is the right description - especially when the Model 3 was the top-selling luxury car in the US in 2018. Hard to call something unproven when there are approaching a quarter million of them in people's driveways around the world. Apparently, what isn't proven is its sales viability of the lower-range version as yesterday Tesla stopped the ability of customers to order the $35k model online. It seems they weren't selling enough of them to warrant the dip in profit margin. You can still order by phone or in one of their showrooms.

I have a friend who had a Leaf and did not like it all that much, but now has a Chevy Bolt (starts at $36k before the tax credit) - which he loves. I'm just saying that virtually every automaker is developing an electric line, whether plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) at this point or full electric, and improvements to drive trains and software are coming quickly while each is competing to increase range and drive prices into the conventional IC range.

I share frustration over size limitations. My neighbor went for the 3-seat $80k Tesla for his growing family, but that's just nuts. Our last car was facing an untimely death last fall and we wanted to go PHEV or electric, but we couldn't find the right size to accommodate the whole family that was affordable for us. We almost went for the Kia Niro PHEV, but it was just a little too small. We also passed on the Mistubishi Outlander PHEV, which was actually a little too big. We finally ended up with a Toyota RAV4 hybrid which, unlike most standard hybrids, gets better city than highway mileage. We have always driven cars into the ground but would be willing to turn over at 40k miles if a genuinely suitable PHEV or electric model comes along.
    I debated getting Tesla S over a year ago when my lease was up. I test drove it couple of times but decided against it because my area where I live gets a lot of power outages. in 2018 we had 3 or 4 power outages, one lasted for 3 days. So I leased a gas-guzzler instead

Moderator Junior Division

As someone who will be paying back school loans until I'm almost 40, this always pisses me off.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    This is my issue as well. Living down state, families need to make more money to afford to live here. With property taxes going up every year, its almost impossible to make a combined 110K as a family. This state truly hates the middle class. They tax the shit out of us, and then we get zero of these benefits.
    Not to be a deliberate devil's advocate here, but they tax the shit out of the middle class because for some reason everyone gets up in arms about taxing the upper class.

They can't tax the rich (public opinion), they can't tax the poor (because...poor), so who's left? You sir. You.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    As someone who will be paying back school loans until I'm almost 40, this always pisses me off.
    At me, or the loans.

Post secondary education is a different world here. Your college system is so bizarre that's its really even hard to fathom.

I had a verbal intent for baseball to a Big East state school. It was very exciting, until it came time to talk dollars. I wasn't getting anything close to a full ride, so at the end of the day it was going to cost my folks about 40k CDN per annum for everything. That dream died instantly. I had offers from nice private schools like Coe College and Hamden Sydney. That price was laughable. It could only be truly wealthy people that go to these places.

I ended up at a Canadian University (they're all dead equal at the undergrad level) for a total price of $15,000 Canadian for tuition, lodging and meal plan. LOL.
    Last edited by Dunny; 04-12-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Not to be a deliberate devil's advocate here, but they tax the shit out of the middle class because for some reason everyone gets up in arms about taxing the upper class.

They can't tax the rich (public opinion), they can't tax the poor (because...poor), so who's left? You sir. You.
    Lol they can and they do. It's actually more about funding programs that cost a shit ton of money. A little like the free tuition one we are discussing. The rich can't pay for everything.

I think the cost of one AIM-9 is 500k.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Lol they can and they do. It's actually more about funding programs that cost a shit ton of money. A little like the free tuition one we are discussing. The rich can't pay for everything.
    Tell that to the 1910s. Or the 1920s. Or the 1930s. Or the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s, where we actually taxed the rich and incentivized them to reinvest instead of being taxed. And, oh, what progress we made.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast