Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: The New Political Thread: New Rules; New Attitude

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bieser View Post
    Prior to Roe v Wade I imagine they wanted the government to stay out of it or leave it as it was.

But the real answer is they see abortion differently than you do. What you call “how to live their lives” they call taking a life. Now you can disagree with that, but the hypocrisy is removed to a point.

It’s not big government to want the law to say stealing is wrong is it?
    Like I said, read back as to how this became a party-line issue.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    the law in new york that allows any late term abortions only allows it in instances where the fetus is not viable, or the mothers life is at risk.

Is it humane to force a woman to deliver a baby that is going to die when it comes out anyway? Is it humane to expect a woman to allow herself to die for a fetus that might not live anyway?
    One doctor's non-viable fetus may be another doctor's viable fetus. And a life is still a life regardless of human error. At some point it's a life.

A woman with a grave risk for death is one thing. What are the other criteria under "physical or mental health risks" that are plastered on these bills, that should make it okay?

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    the law in new york that allows any late term abortions only allows it in instances where the fetus is not viable, or the mothers life is at risk.

Is it humane to force a woman to deliver a baby that is going to die when it comes out anyway? Is it humane to expect a woman to allow herself to die for a fetus that might not live anyway?
    A late term abortion does not get more black and white, it gets less. Who gets to say and on what moral authority that the life of a fetus is more important than that of (for purposes of argument) my wife? What if that fetus is highly disabled? Doctors and families end life based on projected quality of life (as with somebody in a vegetative state) every day, all over the world. Why should the state be the one that decides on a universal basis that saving the fetus is the dominant concern regardless of the specifics of the situation? Should the state make the decision whether someone in a long-term coma is taken off life support? Should that person be kept alive at all costs? What's the difference and where can a meaningful line be drawn?

day-to-day Midget Division
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...t-spurs-games/
    'Why Are There So Many Bats At Spurs Games?'

"...The AT&T Center is 25 miles southwest of Bracken Cave, which is home to more than 15 million Mexican free-tailed bats, making it the largest summer bat colony in the world. What’s more, it’s logical that bats would fly past the arena, particularly during the winter months. The stadium is almost directly in the bats’ migration path from Central America and Mexico back to Bracken Cave, where maternal colonies fly to have and nurse their newborns (nearly doubling in number)..."

An interesting read, and a break from the serious stuff.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    The Atheist Community of Austin hosts a bat cruise every year for exactly this. Kinda cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...t-spurs-games/
    'Why Are There So Many Bats At Spurs Games?'

"...The AT&T Center is 25 miles southwest of Bracken Cave, which is home to more than 15 million Mexican free-tailed bats, making it the largest summer bat colony in the world. What’s more, it’s logical that bats would fly past the arena, particularly during the winter months. The stadium is almost directly in the bats’ migration path from Central America and Mexico back to Bracken Cave, where maternal colonies fly to have and nurse their newborns (nearly doubling in number)..."

An interesting read, and a break from the serious stuff.
    Sounds like the Spurs need a wall.

Senior Member Junior Division

Really like John Oliver's bit on the impact of public shaming and internet outrage

Senior Member Midget Division
    ^ I really enjoy his show and he's funny
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617