• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Staal is in Control of His Uncertain Rangers' Fate

Phil

Staal, though, has control over his fate, owning a full no-move clause for the life of his contract that runs through 2020-21. Teams are not believed to be beating down the door to acquire a rather immobile 32-year-old defenseman with two full seasons at a $5.7 million cap hit per, but serious contenders are always pursuing blue-line depth. That is what Staal, who is having a commendable season playing up on the first pair against the opposition?s top guns just about every single night, would provide.

If, that is, he were to waive his no-trade.

?I don?t know what I would do if I were asked,? Staal told The Post this week. ?It really hasn?t crossed my mind at this point. No one?s talked to me about it.

?As [the deadline] gets closer, if there?s anything that comes up, I guess it would depend on the situation. I can?t say. I?m not great on hypotheticals. They?re tough.?

Seriously though, Staal?s unappetizing peripherals aside, he is the type of old-school defender who can become more important when the game turns into a playoff grind and taffy pull. So maybe there will be an inquiry. Maybe the second senior Ranger will be on the move. Again, if so, it will be on Staal?s say-so.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/31/marc-staal-is-in-control-of-his-uncertain-rangers-fate/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived