• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Leafs Acquire D Jake Muzzin from LAK

Phil

If you listen to TSN radio, those guys seem to think the Leafs are 2 NHL dmen away from competing. They just got one. I wouldn't rule out McQuaid. Those guys you listed are not very good.

Neither is McQuaid ;)

But they've got quite a bit of roster shuffling to do, if that's the case.

Excellent move by the Leafs.

You'd be hard pressed to think of a better (available) fit for them. Solid guy, loads of playoff experience, used to playing a balancing role with Doughty, slots right into their PK.

I don't think they overpaid either, considering he's got one more year on a good deal.

It's more difficult to judge the deal for the Kings, but a 1st round pick and two decent if unspectacular prospects seems ok.

Could be the move that gets the Leafs to the Stanley Cup Final. Right now, everyone in the East is chasing Tampa. I'm not convinced Lightning will be at their best when the playoffs roll around. Lots of time before the trade deadline, lots of season left. Bunch of teams in the East lurking around 60 pts, should be an interesting second half.

I think the question about which high-priced player they're going to move on from after this year is the most interesting story in the league, outside of NY.

Even if the cap goes up to $85m, they'll only have $25m in space, which won't be enough to sign just Matthews and Marner, let alone Kapanen and Gardiner. Gardiner is certainly out, but I think Nylander almost has to be too.

Muzzin replaces Gardiner.

Kadri likely gone in my mind.

I'm not sure Kadri is enough if you plan on signing Kapanen. Would you trade Kapanen and Kadri for Nylander?

If Matthews ($12m), Marner ($11m), and Kapenen ($3m) combine for $26m, you have to move one just to get under the cap, but you still have to sign 4 forwards, 3 defensemen, and a backup goalie. Even if they're all on ELCs, that's over $5m. Nylander covers all of that alone, but Kadri doesn't.

I think the question about which high-priced player they're going to move on from after this year is the most interesting story in the league, outside of NY.

Even if the cap goes up to $85m, they'll only have $25m in space, which won't be enough to sign just Matthews and Marner, let alone Kapanen and Gardiner. Gardiner is certainly out, but I think Nylander almost has to be too.

Given his level of play since signing, I'm not so sure they wouldn't welcome that change.

Archived