Thread: David Quinn Opens up on Jump from College, Coaching Style and Rangers’ Development

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

David Quinn Opens up on Jump from College, Coaching Style and Rangers’ Development

On the differences between coaching college and the NHL:

ďJust the depths of the relationships you have with your players; the college feel, being around other sports, things of that nature. In college youíre the owner, president, GM and assistant GM, so itís different here, thereís a lot of input and a lot of discussion and a lot of opinions. I think I manage that. The biggest jump going from college to the NHL is that piece of it, but I also think thatís what has made this transition so much easier for me is because of my relationships I have with the people I work with.

ďItís more hockey without all the other responsibilities I had at BU, like fundraising, making sure guys were going to school and staying out of trouble, plus there was the recruiting aspect that was almost non-stop. Thereís a lot to those jobs.

ďHere, the games are always so fast and furious, youíre always on, ĎWhatís next, how can I help us get better?í Iím still managing delegating. Iím someone who likes to do a lot on my own, not because I donít trust other people but because thatís just my personality, so delegation is something I still need to work on to take some things off my plate.

ďAgain, I was fortunate to have a little bit of experience at this level so I knew what to expect, but thereís a little bit more hockey now than at school. Itís been everything I thought it was going to be and Iíve enjoyed it probably a little bit more than I thought.Ē
    On the differences between the NHL of 2012-13 and todayís NHL:

ďItís not as physical, thatís for damn sure. And everybody frowns upon a practice. It stuns me that you go for 40 minutes and people act like itís a marathon. What do people want me to do? They hired me to coach here. Iím not acting like Joe Tough Guy, but Iím not going to let things go; thatís how you get better. And I believe thatís what this team at this time needs.

ďThere are some days where I have to fight that and do hold back because thatís what the players need on a particular day. That goes against my personality, but I think Iíve done a good job of managing that. I know Iím push-push-push, so Iíve asked my staff and [GM] Jeff [Gorton] and [assistant GM] Chris [Drury] to let me know if I need to back off.

ďThe thing I like about this group is that they respond, or try to respond, to everything I ask. Theyíve been really good that way.Ē
    On his responsibility to develop young players and its impact on coaching to win games:

ďDevelopment is funny. Some people think that development is to throw a guy out there and let him play and let him play. But development getting experience and ice time, but itís also learning what weíre going to need big picture, too. Fil Chytil went through a stretch where he was playing 10 minutes a night because thatís what he deserved. You donít just give somebody something. Thereís also a checklist in my mind when Iím handling these guys of, ĎOK, what are your intentions?í Iím big on intentions.

ďAre you making a mistake yet you had the right intentions and it just didnít work, or is your mistake one because you had the wrong intentions? Is your work ethic what it needs to be? Is your preparation what it needs to be? Itís our responsibility as a staff of sending the message of what is acceptable and whatís not. Thatís part of development. Letting them know they have to earn what they get is part of development. Thatís one of my most basic principles.Ē
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/25/david-...s-development/
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I love this dude
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I love this dude
    He sure does know how to say the right things at the right times. And if I was a player on the bench there's no way I would want that blue ice stare for my lack of effort, penalty or whatever.🤬

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Guys a man rocket.

Senior Member Midget Division
    His comments about practice were funny but geez are these players kidding me about 40 minutes of practice

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    He says the right things...
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He says the right things...
    This. Some of his actions (or non-actions) are inconsistent with his words.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    It ties in to The Athletic article that came out on dressing room speeches last week. Millenials have a crutch for everything.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I’m not sure how milenials get blamed for everything but the people that raised them don’t.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I’m not sure how milenials get blamed for everything but the people that raised them don’t.
    +1,000

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    You mean the State, correct?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Both of their parents were at work.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

One of the best side notes on having Quinn is not having to hear "at the end of the day " postgame.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    One of the best side notes on having Quinn is not having to hear "at the end of the day " postgame.

....and also that whole "rolling our 4 lines bullshit"!!!!

I'm liking Quinn too....the team sucks a drippy moose's ass, but Quinn I like.

You need to be more specific. Is the team sucking the runny remnants from the moose's recent skat formation? Or is it just the morning dew that developed on the moose anus? Or maybe something more viscous like puss from a infected anal gland? Just wondering.
    Last edited by CBrowningPI; 02-03-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    You need to be more specific. Is the team sucking the runny remnants from the moose's recent skat formation? Or is it just the morning dew that developed on the moose anus? Or maybe something more viscous like puss from a infected anal gland? Just wondering.
    Actually yours sounds better, Brownie!!!! LOL