• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pavel Datsyuk's Agent Floats ex-Red Wing's Possible Return to NHL

Phil

Datstyuk?s agent, Dan Milstein, told Russia?s Match TV on Wednesday that Datsyuk could return to the NHL ? and, possibly, the Red Wings, if they want him ? next season.

?I can tell you Pavel is not ready to quit hockey in (the) next few years,? Milstein told the television network. ?So again, it?s up to him, going to America or playing in KHL.?

Datsyuk, 40, spent his entire 14-year NHL career with the Red Wings. He left the Wings to play in Russia?s Kontinental Hockey League and to be closer to his daughter in June 2016, but his three-year contract with SKA St. Petersburg ends after this season.

In 44 games with SKA St. Petersburg this season, Datsyuk has 34 points (nine goals, 25 assists). Datsyuk led SKA St. Petersburg to the Gagarin Cup (their Stanley Cup) in 2017, and also captained the Olympic Athletes of Russia to a gold medal at the 2018 Olympics.

Datsyuk retired from the NHL in 2016. But given the three-year window of being unable to play will have passed, Datsyuk would be eligible to be an unrestricted free agent on July 1, 2019.

And Milstein, at least, envisions a reunion with the Wings.

?He will have a lot of options if he decides to return to the NHL,? Milstein told the Russian network. ?But it?d be appropriate to return to Detroit where he spent all of his North American career.

?Though it?s up to Datsyuk. Will he want to make this comeback??

General manager Ken Holland had no comment on the speculation.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/01/23/pavel-datsyuks-agent-floats-ex-detroit-red-wings-possible-return-nhl/2661216002/

--

If I were him, I'd come back and join the Caps, maybe, not the Wings.

Yeah, bringing a 40 year old Datsyuk back to the NHL sounds like a fine idea. I mean, what could go wrong.

Hey, if he can help Kravtsov transition to NA, I'm in for a year or 2.

He can still play, even if past his prime. And, its not looking like this team is contending in the next few seasons, so he wouldnt be holding them back.

More likely, he'd sign with a contender, though.

Archived