• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

LeBrun: Possible Candidates to Replace Peter Chiarelli as Oilers GM

Phil

Kelly McCrimmon

The assistant GM of the Vegas Golden Knights will be among the candidates for the GM job in expansion Seattle for obvious reasons but perhaps the Oilers can snatch him before then. The longtime Western Hockey League executive and owner checks all the boxes for Edmonton other than he hasn?t been an NHL GM. I suppose that?s where the risk lies. But otherwise, his credentials are impeccable. No question in my mind Nicholson has already mentioned his name internally. To me, he?s the front-runner in the early going.

Mark Hunter

The former Maple Leafs assistant GM has a wonderful/profitable gig running the OHL?s London Knights so his return to the NHL would most likely only come as a GM and for the right fit. His work in the draft for the Leafs speaks for itself. He obviously felt he was ready to take on the GM duties before Kyle Dubas got the nod, hence his tremendous disappointment at the time. Definitely worth a call if you?re the Oilers. And I think that call will come.

Doug Armstrong

OK, so this one is a bit strange I know because he?s currently an active GM on another team and you almost never see this type of a lateral move in hockey. Plus Armstrong signed an extension last year which still has another three years left on it after this season. But let me throw this out there: what if Nicholson phoned up Blues owner Tom Stillman and asked the question? The Blues are having a very disappointing season. Would Stillman see it as a chance to change things up and have another team pick up the tab on his GM? From Edmonton?s perspective, Armstrong has built regular contenders in St. Louis over the years and has Team Canada experience connecting him to Nicholson. And, deep down, I believe it is a checklist item for Armstrong to one day run a Canadian NHL team if at all possible. Just saying ?

Ken Holland

See Armstrong above. While it?s unusual to go after a current GM, Nicholson and Holland go way back. With Holland also believed to be on Seattle?s radar, I don?t see why the Oilers wouldn?t at least reach out to inquire on Holland?s future in Detroit. Holland would probably want to wait until the summer to make any decision on his future in Detroit, Seattle or otherwise. Where that would leave Edmonton potentially in terms of its timeline is tough to tell.

https://theathletic.com/782045/2019/01/23/lebrun-possible-candidates-to-replace-peter-chiarelli-as-oilers-gm/

--

He goes on to name more than half a dozen other options, but the above group seems like the most logical. Particularly McCrimmon or Hunter.

Archived