• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: ?Rocket ride to hell for Edmonton Oiler fans?

Phil

?I heard you talk about Chiarelli there, and it?s true. A very well-respected general manager in the National Hockey League with the Boston Bruins, and obviously won a Cup there,? recalled McKenzie. ?And yet go down the list of moves he?s made?

?I always maintain with every general manager in the league, I could build you a case that even the best general manager in the league - I could probably go through and find five or seven things if you just ratatat them off you?d say, ?This guy is the worst general manager ever. Look at these draft picks. Look at these trades. Look at these signings. These are terrible.?

?Because everybody makes mistakes. Not everybody turns out. You have to deal in volume and you?ve got to hope at the end you?re on the right side of the ledger.

?I don?t ever recall a situation where you go transaction-by-transaction where the team - in this case the Oilers - comes out on the wrong side of it so clearly just about every time. I don?t ever recall a situation like that, and especially for a guy like Peter Chiarelli, who has been a very well-respected guy in the National Hockey League.

?So it?s got to be tough on him. It?s got to be tough on Oilers? ownership/management. It?s got to be even tougher on their fans.

?I don?t know. Something has obviously got to give because as we?ve talked about, the brand and the image and just the relationship? the fans have completely lost faith, and understandably so because you go through better than a decade of just terrible hockey. Basically from the moment Chris Pronger got traded and the Oilers lost to Carolina in the Cup, it?s been a rocket ride to hell for Edmonton Oiler fans.

?And then you get McDavid and you think you?ve turned the corner two years ago, and now you find out you haven?t turned the corner. Maybe you?re not in as deep of a hole as you were seven or eight years ago, but you?re still in a pretty deep hole, and you?ve got to find your way back.

?Finding the way back is the hard part, and it?s going to take a really intelligent person to figure out how they?re going to crack this nut now.?

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/1/22/mckenzie-rocket-ride-to-hell-for-edmonton-oiler-fans

Chiarelli won a cup because Tim Thomas went on a Dunnyesque playoff run.

The warning signs were there with Chiarelli (Seguin for Erikson lol) and he's brutal but the real blame lays with the Oiler braintrust who promised, this time, they'd get it right, they hired a buffoon and the rest is history despite being gifted all the tools for a proper rebuild and being gifted the best player on the planet.

I just can't wait until he requests a trade.

The warning signs were there with Chiarelli (Seguin for Erikson lol) and he's brutal but the real blame lays with the Oiler braintrust who promised, this time, they'd get it right, they hired a buffoon and the rest is history despite being gifted all the tools for a proper rebuild and being gifted the best player on the planet.

I think this is part of the larger issue, for sure. That ownership group/front office is largely an old boys network who routinely go to the same well and somehow convince the general public and fans that this time will be different. At some point, you've got to look higher than the head coach or GM, no? It sure seems to me that this fish stinks from the head.

Still, Chiarelli is inarguably a laughing stock.

I mean, I know GMs are granted a fair amount of independence, but surely someone was signing off on the Hall trade, right? Or even Eberle given his tenure? There's just no way this all falls on "Chiarelli just sucks." He does, objectively. The historical record reinforces this, but he's not acting alone, and certainly not without sign off.

The most amazing part of all of this is that he's apparently under mandate to make the playoffs or he'll lose his job this summer, yet he's still green-lit to sign a 30-year old goalie to a $13.5 million contract extension?

Bob Nicholson whose claim to fame is guiding Hockey Canada "out of the wilderness", after the Nagano defeat.

As if that's a notable accomplishment. It's akin to saying the guy that ran US baseball to a gold in the World Cup is a genius.

I don't disagree overall, but the Seguin deal was Neely's mandate IIRC and Seguin wasn't going to survive in Boston, off the ice.

By Jonathan Willis Jan 15, 2019 75

After​ firing Todd​ McLellan as Edmonton’s​ coach,​ GM​ Peter​ Chiarelli held​ a media conference call. He​ was asked​ about the​ roster he​​ had assembled, and while he talked about parity and room for improvement and injury he repeated the same point several times: “It’s good enough.”

There’s really only one question the people above Chiarelli in the Oilers’ organizational hierarchy need to answer: is the GM right?

For the good of the team, it’s a question that should be resolved by the end of next week. The timing is important because Edmonton plays its last game before a 10-day break on January 22. That break is a chance to evaluate everything, as well as set trade deadline strategy.

If Chiarelli is not going to be the Oilers general manager past this summer, he shouldn’t be the one heading up hockey operations through this period.

The risk with running a lame-duck GM through the deadline period is obvious. In midseason trades just this year, Chiarelli has already committed the Oilers to Ryan Spooner and Brandon Manning and their combined $5.45-million cap hit through next season.

A caretaker GM can handle necessary immediate business with less likelihood of committing his successor to pricey long-term bets.

Additionally, making a decision prior to the deadline would give the Oilers time to form a search committee, do research and turn a long list of plausible GM candidates into a short list of interviewees. The organization has never engaged in a thorough public search for a GM and that is perhaps reflected in its league-worst record since Kevin Lowe vacated the office.

If the Oilers are going to keep Chiarelli in his post, the timing is even more important. A GM with security past the summer is more likely to engage in the long-term planning the position demands. He is less likely to engage in short-term panic moves aimed at saving his job.

Regardless of what the decision is, the Oilers are better off making it this week than they are kicking the can to the end of the year.

https://theathletic.com/769219/2019/01/15/willis-edmonton-should-make-a-decision-on-peter-chiarelli-this-week/

Got to agree with this. They need to stick or twist. It makes absolutely zero sense allowing this guy to make short term moves at the deadline in a desperate attempt to save his own skin if they're not committed to him long term.

how tf do you emnbed a tweet?:

They canned a head coach, the GM is on the firing line, they're 12th in the West and just lost at home to the last place team in the NHL.

And (I am not making this up) statistically this is the Edmonton Oilers fourth best season in the last 13 years.

Imagine being a Oilers fan...

They'll get Hughes in the summer tho, maybe that'll help.

Imagine being a Oilers fan...

They'll get Hughes in the summer tho, maybe that'll help.

Well, they've shown themselves capable of fucking up the un-fuckupable, having been handed the one-two punch of Draisaitl and McDavid in consecutive drafts. I certainly wouldn't bet against the Oilers somehow managing to fuck things up even with Hughes added to the mix.

Archived