• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kevin Shattenkirk?s Revival Could Hasten His Rangers Exit

Phil

But in this fractured universe in which the Rangers ? and especially their veterans without no-move clauses ? are living, Shattenkirk?s improved play not only makes him more valuable to the team, but more attractive to contenders who might be interested in his particular skill set. The better he plays, the more likely he punches his ticket out of town less than two seasons into his Broadway run.

?I haven?t thought about the possibility too much, but I also don?t want to say that I?m numb to it,? said Shattenkirk, who was traded as a deadline rental from St. Louis to Washington two years ago. ?Because of my past, I?m always aware of it, but I?m not worried about it, either.

?I have enough to worry about on my own plate.?

Shattenkirk has two years at an annual $6.65 million cap hit remaining on the four-year, $26.6 million contract he signed as a free agent July 1, 2017. It was an offer to which the Rangers couldn?t say no after it was pitched to them by the New Rochelle native?s representative. Shattenkirk has a modified no-trade clause. Last July, per his contract, he provided the Blueshirts with a list of 10 teams that are off-limits.

?It?s different than last time, I?m not a rental, but even then I was surprised that I went to Washington,? Shattenkirk said. ?I know what this time of year is like, but it?s not uppermost on my mind. I?m not thinking about my game in correlation with the trade deadline.?

?My feelings about being here and being a Ranger have not changed, but it obviously hasn?t gone the way I hoped or anyone hoped,? he said. ?I came into this year, though, with a positive, fresh mindset. There?d been enough time last year when I wasn?t playing to think about the changes and their impact on all of us here.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/16/kevin-shattenkirks-revival-could-hasten-his-rangers-exit/

Yea, I don’t see that happening. But if there are takers while retaining half, pull the trigger.

Yea, but I don't really see the point.

I don't think there's any value in trading him, half retained, for a 5th-round pick. They don't need to dump cap.

Yea, but I don't really see the point.

I don't think there's any value in trading him, half retained, for a 5th-round pick. They don't need to dump cap.

Agreed that for a 5th its not worth it but im pretty sure at 50% retained salary they would be able to get more for him. Not like cap space will be much of an issue here in the next 2 seasons anyway.

Agreed that for a 5th its not worth it but im pretty sure at 50% retained salary they would be able to get more for him. Not like cap space will be much of an issue here in the next 2 seasons anyway.

Why? He's still a third-pair defenseman, and nobody wants to pay $3m for that. More, there are no "buyers" who would be in the market for someone of his skillset right now.

Why? He's still a third-pair defenseman, and nobody wants to pay $3m for that. More, there are no "buyers" who would be in the market for someone of his skillset right now.

Minnesota might, with an injury to Dumba and Spurgeon a UFA next year, if we retained.

Archived