• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Oilers Have Checked in on Mats Zuccarello

Phil

"2. Here?s my read on Edmonton: With their horse, Oscar Klefbom, getting closer to a return, the Oilers are looking everywhere for forward help. They would prefer to avoid giving up a major young piece for a rental. Sounds like they?ve checked into the recently resurgent Mats Zuccarello, who had three assists in the Rangers? 6-2 win over Carolina on Tuesday. Last season, the Rangers dealt Michael Grabner for a prospect and a second-rounder; that?s probably where they?d like to go with Norway?s Finest."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-buyers-sellers-emerging-ahead-nhl-trade-deadline/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’d rather have their 1st straight up than their 2nd + a middling prospect.

Agreed. I also think Edmonton is far more likely to consider trading their current first or next year's based on what has been reported. I'd like a guy like Safin, but not headlining a deal. I'd much rather have a pick in the 10-25 range.

A 2nd and a mid level prospect for Zucc would be so disappointing. He’s had a bad season but he’s certianly not bad. Hopefully his quote about being effected by trade rumors all year helps his value knowing that once he settles he’ll probably go right back to the 60pt Zucc.

Edmonton’s first for zucc would be a massive overpayment on their part. There is better rentals than zucc for a pick like that. Their first is not a late round selection. It could even be a lottery pick

I would LOVE to get Edmonton's 1st! I don't think we have enough to couple with Zucc to pull it back though, Franny!

Edmonton’s first for zucc would be a massive overpayment on their part. There is better rentals than zucc for a pick like that. Their first is not a late round selection. It could even be a lottery pick

I agree. But whilst a 2nd and midlevel prospect is probably the going rate for Zuc, I’d rather do that deal with someone else.

The Oilers farm system is a heap of shit.

If Edmonton believes that then they wouldn't be buying.

I doubt Edmonton is thinking in absolutes. They're fully aware that they could go all in for a playoff birth and still not make it. If they deal their first, it will likely be lottery or top-10 protected.

Edmonton?s first for zucc would be a massive overpayment on their part. There is better rentals than zucc for a pick like that. Their first is not a late round selection. It could even be a lottery pick

Perfect opportunity for them to move up in the draft. Zucc + pick or prospect to get a better 1st.

EDIT: Never mind for some reason I thought Edmonton was lower in the standings... I would still do Zucc + another roster player maybe or a lower pick to get their first.

I doubt Edmonton is thinking in absolutes. They're fully aware that they could go all in for a playoff birth and still not make it. If they deal their first, it will likely be lottery or top-10 protected.

That's fine. That's how Colorado ended up with Ottawa's first. Edmonton has only drafted outside of the top 10 once since 2009, so weather its this year's 1st or next year's, it'll most likely be a high pick.

Lottery, for sure. Still, would be kind of great to kick them a player like Zucc in a deal that includes that pick, because if they do miss, it's still really valuable at the middle of the draft.

Archived