Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Tony DeAngelo

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Sure, but you'd hope they were your better players. Not an undersized, undrafted D man who is obviously over his head in his own end.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Staal is having a good year and he had a good year last year too.
    Yeah I'm not getting the knocks against Staal. He has been a solid defender and honestly he has been earning his contract since the beginning of last season. Admittedly he was playing horribly shortly after he signed that contract, but that has not been the case for a while now.

The only reason I am not sure if a team would want to trade for him is the NMC. If he fades again it is hard contract to get out of. This has nothing to do with his current play.

Staal has been decent. It's the pairing with Pionk that makes no sense. Quinn seems to love that pairing despite all evidence pointing to them being kryptonite for each other.
    I haven't checked, but I'd imagine the metrics for Staal-ADA are vastly superior even though the sample size is small.
    They actually look like a functioning pairing.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    don't you think everycoach has players they relie on,
    Of course. But some have players they rely on well beyond the point of breaking.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Staal is having a good year and he had a good year last year too.
    Sure, but none of this makes him good. Especially not in the role of first-pairing defenseman. We see this borne out every night in the shot and goal differentials. It's relative to the rest of the Rangers' defense, which is generally horrific.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Everyone soured on Pionk really fast. If he's a 7D in the future, what's the harm?

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I have no problems with Pionk, I think he has played better defensively than ADA.

He's due a contract that could quickly become problematic relative to the player he actually is. This is the same issue we had years ago when Dubinsky and Callahan were scoring 20+ goals playing on the Rangers' top line for a bad team that had no other options. Once more appropriate top-line talent is brought in, suddenly the $4.5M you gave a third-line player is a problem. Likewise, if the Rangers pay out Pionk based on production, they might be looking at a $4M spare with multiple years to go before expiry. It's a dangerous line.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He's due a contract that could quickly become problematic relative to the player he actually is. This is the same issue we had years ago when Dubinsky and Callahan were scoring 20+ goals playing on the Rangers' top line for a bad team that had no other options. Once more appropriate top-line talent is brought in, suddenly the $4.5M you gave a third-line player is a problem. Likewise, if the Rangers pay out Pionk based on production, they might be looking at a $4M spare with multiple years to go before expiry. It's a dangerous line.
    Same thing can be said about ADA. His contract is up as well. I think Pionk is a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pair guy. He doesn't mess up as much as ADA does either. ADA is out of position a lot more and coughs up the puck a lot more than Pionk.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    So bridge him. You act like all they can do is re-sign him to a big deal or trade him right now and have an odd view where you think he sucks and is going to get some big cap-prohibitive contract.

The only bad contract Cally ever signed was in Tampa and Dubinsky's contract a) only lasted one year and b) wasn't prohibitive anyways. Redden and the Drury buyout counted for like $9m on that 2011 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    So bridge him. You act like all they can do is re-sign him to a big deal or trade him right now and have an odd view where you think he sucks and is going to get some big cap-prohibitive contract.

The only bad contract Cally ever signed was in Tampa and Dubinsky's contract a) only lasted one year and b) wasn't prohibitive anyways. Redden and the Drury buyout counted for like $9m on that 2011 team.
    I mean, I would. I have no interest in giving him a long-term deal of any kind. But I also don't really want him at all. I don't see him as a roster regular on any contending Rangers team.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Same thing can be said about ADA. His contract is up as well. I think Pionk is a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pair guy. He doesn't mess up as much as ADA does either. ADA is out of position a lot more and coughs up the puck a lot more than Pionk.
    I don’t think that’s true.
    They’re both one dimensional, but imo ADA’s dimension is better and the upside far more interesting.
    There’s nothing wrong with Pionk as a 3rd pair type though.

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    I was real high on Pionk the first 20 games but he has soured that thinking the last 20. Everyone knows young defenseman take a little longer to develope into a true NHL - good to go- player. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the criticism, but he's only played a half a season in the NHL. Pionk has obvious skills but makes many (rookie) mistakes. This is a development year so why would we not give him some slack. Sign him to a Vesey/show us contract. And who's going to be the new chew toy if they trade him? My vote is Vesey- really don't like his game.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    If we learned anything at all from the Skjei deal, it's BRIDGE THESE FUCKING PLAYERS.

If they out perform their contract in two years, great! You can either sign them or trade them.

Also, can we talk about how many "puck-moving defensemen" we have? What happened to just playing defense? There's no reason to have Pionk, ADA, Skjei, and Shattenkirk on the same team. They all do the same thing with varying degrees of ineptitude. Since were stuck with Skjei, this season should essentially be a showcase to see what other guy is gonna stay, if any.
    GORTON 2020

I think Skjei is a different type of player than the other 3 personally.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Skjei should be a modern day SAH defender, first and foremost. His ability to skate and move up is what could set him apart. The fact he’s getting compared to ADA and Pionk shows how far he’s failed at honing his best abilities.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Aaaaaaaand we're back. Tony de Angelo a healthy scratch again as Neal Pionk works his magic alongside Staal.
    This grinds my gears a lot more than it probably should.

Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    ADA is a terrible defender who loses his positioning all the time. It's a lot more apparent when you see them play live.
    If they can get anything for him I would move ASAP.
    The only defenseman worth keeping right now for the long haul is Skjei and that's based on what he might become not on his play last year or this year. Even though lately he's been better.

Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    ADA is a terrible defender who loses his positioning all the time. It's a lot more apparent when you see them play live.
    If they can get anything for him I would move ASAP.
    You spelled "Neal Pionk" wrong.

ADA has his warts, I totally agree. But he's been fine - good in a few instances - whilst Pionk has been out. I'm not loving the idea of Pionk just moonwalking back into the lineup with ADA straight back to the doghouse for no apparent reason other than him being some kind of teachers pet.
    That's my main problem. I don't think ADA is some kind of franchise d-man just waiting to arrive on the scene, but I think he is probably the guy we have with the best offensive upside. That, and if they're going to get something for him they would be smart to actually play him.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 02-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Pionk also loses his positioning all the time. Funny/pathetic how Rangers dmen lack such basic fundamentals.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast