Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Tony DeAngelo

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm sensing you're making this personal rather than about the team.

Sometimes development is about learning to be a pro, and he's got alot to learn.
    Well, sure. But spending 2 years trying to teach him how to be a pro seems a bit excessive when it comes at the cost of his playing development. Whatever it is they're doing clearly isn't having the desired effect. And the current status quo is detrimental to his value, as a trading chip and as a player.
    Again, I don't have the answer. I'm just trying to understand what it is they're trying to achieve with him.

I suspect part of this is also trying to avoid looking like clueless cunts over the Stepan/Rantaa trade.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    Joe fortunato of blueshirtsbanter posted a tweet from:
    CJ Turtoro
    CJ Turtoro
    @CJTDevil
    Neal Pionk has 1 breakup in 77 targets. He basically hands the opposing team the zone.
    Quote Tweet
    CJ Turtoro

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Awesome stat. Pionk is trash. Total beer leaguer and pond hockey extraordinaire.

Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Awesome stat. Pionk is trash. Total beer leaguer and pond hockey extraordinaire.
    But that one play though! They're both still rookies among rookies, but why not give Lindgren and Hajek a shot when we make some D-men trades? If Pionk turns out to be a bottom pair Dman that's cost controlled, it can't hurt us to find out.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I like Claesson's game, Josh man...not flashy, but tough and reliable!

THAT'S what I wanna see! A tough defenseman who does what they're supposed to do: Take the man, move the puck!

Claesson fits that so far and he's been pretty good!

I think both Pionk and D'Angelo would make great throw in's to help us trade up at the deadline for better picks/prospects.
    If Claesson improves a bit more, he's similar to Stralman, which I liked.

I agree with Pionk/ADA being involved in a package deal for a better pick or prospect at the deadline.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    If Claesson improves a bit more, he's similar to Stralman, which I liked.

I agree with Pionk/ADA being involved in a package deal for a better pick or prospect at the deadline.
    Strahlman!!! That's it!! I couldn't put my finger on the guy he reminded me of!!! Good man !!!!

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    On paper, I'd swap Pionk for ADA and not bat an eyelash. I think you dramatically improve, in fact, basically across the board.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    I see no reason why this kid isn't in the lineup regularly. The fact that this entire D is fucking awful and is full of has beens and place holders, this kid really needs to be in there more.

I see no difference between effectiveness between he also Pionk. I'm still underwhelmed with Pionk and some of his decision making with the puck, never mind how shitty he is defensively.

I'd really like to see him get more PP time. If they have no interest in giving him a spot as part of the future. They really need to up his value. That's only going to happen with him being on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I see no reason why this kid isn't in the lineup regularly. The fact that this entire D is fucking awful and is full of has beens and place holders, this kid really needs to be in there more.

I see no difference between effectiveness between he also Pionk. I'm still underwhelmed with Pionk and some of his decision making with the puck, never mind how shitty he is defensively.

I'd really like to see him get more PP time. If they have no interest in giving him a spot as part of the future. They really need to up his value. That's only going to happen with him being on the ice.
    This.
    Making assumptions here, but if they gave him the same amount of icetime and the PP1 gig Pionk has had I'm absolutely certain his production would be very good.
    Certainly sufficient to make him very tradeable, if that's where we're headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    This.
    Making assumptions here, but if they gave him the same amount of icetime and the PP1 gig Pionk has had I'm absolutely certain his production would be very good.
    Certainly sufficient to make him very tradeable, if that's where we're headed.
    I think you're on the right track, Gravy! I think with the trade deadline approaching we should be seeing a lot more of D'Angelo. Even though he's a young player and fits the mold of "rebuild", it looks like he's not going to pan out to be one of Quinn's "guys". That's fine, I get that and that's great, but we should be marching him out there every game up to the deadline to market him a little more. I agree.

Same with Pionk. I like Pionk, and he's a young guy as well. I see there are some gaping holes in his game, and that's to be expected. But if Pionk can help land us a pick or a prospect that's going to make a real impact, I'm all for coupling him up in a deal as well.

Senior Member Midget Division
    i don't think it's just Pionk or ADA, I think the whole D is one big shitshow.

hard to know what you have when your partner is just as inept as you.
    Acqua in bocca

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    i don't think it's just Pionk or ADA, I think the whole D is one big shitshow.

hard to know what you have when your partner is just as inept as you.
    Quite a few have been shitty, you're right about that Slobby! Fact is that if you add in the fact that our wingers, especially guys like Buchnevich, Vesey, and quite a few others not named Jesper Fast have been downright terrible in the defensive zone, and guilty of more turnovers than a bakery! That surely doesn't help the D at all.

Brendan Smith, who I actually used to like, has been shitty. No doubt!
    Shattenkirk has been a mere shell of what he used to be.
    Skjei was playing like a pussy for much of the season, but lately he's been better on the puck. He needs to play a lot tougher, but he's still learning
    Pionk was showing signs of progress early but has hit a wall of late. That "play" against the Isles on that late winning goal was an absolute giggle fest for starters.
    D'Angelo plays tough at times; he's listed at 5' 11"...that must be standing on stilts. I think we need bigger, tougher defenseman that can clear the crease, and then move the puck.

Staal is actually having his best year in a long time; possibly because the others look so bad, but overall I've been pleased with his game.
    Claesson has been pretty solid. Pretty capable player and keeps it simple.
    McQuaid has been pretty good. I love his toughness and I really see a lot of Beukeboom in this guy. I hope we hang on to him because he's exactly what I like about Defenseman.
    Lindgren looks bigger than 6 feet tall. He certainly played like it last game. So far so good, but I wanna see more of him. I watched his following the play very well, and picked up the correct man in front every time last game.

Moderator Junior Division
    ADA's been excellent the last 5 games, paired with Staal. A lot more like the player we saw in the second half of last year before the ankle injury.

Per Uncle Larry:

DeAngelo has taken the baton passed to him in Pionk’s absence and has run with it, not only playing the most consistently constructive hockey of his brief NHL career, but combining with Marc Staal to form the team’s most solid first pair yet, though we’re not quite talking Brian Leetch-Jeff Beukeboom. Not even Marek Malik-Michal Rozsival. But still, as they say about the one-eyed man in the land of the blind …

It’s a small sample size, of course. A teeny sample size, that too. But the fact is that in 102:33 of five-on-five, the Staal-DeAngelo tandem has a 52.3 Corsi rating, a 53.3 shot share and a plus-three (8/5) rating with a 34.5 offensive-zone start percentage per Naturalstattrick.com. Meanwhile, in 534:01, the Staal-Pionk pair has a 41.0 Corsi, a 41.0 shot share and a minus-five (19/24) with a 40.06 O-zone start number.
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/ranger...site%20buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    ADA's been excellent the last 5 games, paired with Staal. A lot more like the player we saw in the second half of last year before the ankle injury.

Per Uncle Larry:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/ranger...site%20buttons
    Yeah, he looks like a genuine NHL player, and that's in spite of playing with an anchor like Staal. If this isn't all the evidence the Rangers need to play this guy full-time, they need to just cut bait already, because what else can he do?

Also, Pionk is fucking horrible. I've been enjoying games so much more with him out. I really hope they trade him.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    More importantly, wheres that gif of him tripping himself? That was better than McDonagh skating into the boards

Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, he looks like a genuine NHL player, and that's in spite of playing with an anchor like Staal. If this isn't all the evidence the Rangers need to play this guy full-time, they need to just cut bait already, because what else can he do?
    This. If he's back in the doghouse when Pionk returns I'll be fucking seething.

That's part of the reason I want Pionk traded. It's like AV-shit with taking away toys from a guy unwilling to not play with them.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    So...
    Taking away toys from a guy UNWILLING TO NOT play with them. My brain is having a tough time processing this. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quinn, like AV, seems to have a couple of guys he really relies on. Pionk was one for a HUGE stretch of this season. I'm pretty sure he still leads all D in average TOI. This, in spite of the shit results of that pairing with Staal. Trading Pionk takes away Quinn's ability to go back to that well.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend

Also, Pionk is fucking horrible. I've been enjoying games so much more with him out. I really hope they trade him.
    Staal is having a good year and he had a good year last year too.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quinn, like AV, seems to have a couple of guys he really relies on. Pionk was one for a HUGE stretch of this season. I'm pretty sure he still leads all D in average TOI. This, in spite of the shit results of that pairing with Staal. Trading Pionk takes away Quinn's ability to go back to that well.
    don't you think everycoach has players they relie on,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast