Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's Talk About Tony DeAngelo

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    Pionk also loses his positioning all the time. Funny/pathetic how Rangers dmen lack such basic fundamentals.
    Dude, you're right on this one!!! Seeing him live.....shit! He's all over the place....and in the wrong place most times!

Both those guys are young but they need a LOT of work if they're gonna stay here!

A LOT!!!

Any weak side play involving Pionk, or with Pionk on the ice; he loses his man pretty much every time. He also shifts backwards crooked on odd man rushes. In other words he slides back too close to his teammate opposite him and the far winger has pretty much a perfect set up for a one timer from the slot.

He did it again last night, but Hank bailed him out this time.

I just don't think D' Angelo has anything defensive wise. Offensively he's better than some, but nothing that's going to off set his defensive play woes.

Pionk may be worth a flier but he's gonna be a major Project back there!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I dont know if you can get much trading him, at this point.

Maybe Edmonton, if you take back cap, but you still wont be getting a good pick/prospect
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Pionk and ADA are both atrocious defensively. Pionk is slightly less atrocious defensively, but I think ADA is more gifted offensively. I'm not sure either are fits long term, but if the Rangers insist on one or the other I'd roll the dice on ADA. I see more natural talent there, and he has an edge to his game. But his defensive game is a serious liability and he needs to improve dramatically there. He also needs to control his temper a little better sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Pionk and ADA are both atrocious defensively. Pionk is slightly less atrocious defensively, but I think ADA is more gifted offensively. I'm not sure either are fits long term, but if the Rangers insist on one or the other I'd roll the dice on ADA. I see more natural talent there, and he has an edge to his game. But his defensive game is a serious liability and he needs to improve dramatically there. He also needs to control his temper a little better sometimes.
    They are very similar.
    While I think ADA is slightly better defensively, Pionk is more consistent in his own zone. So I guess, maybe slightly more reliable?
    With the puck, I like ADAs patience - but this doesnt seem to fit Quinn's style, or preference. Pionk gets the puck and goes. Guys that "slow down" and look for a pass have been sat throughout the season, including Shattenkirk, ADA, Namestnikov, Andersson, Buchnevich, Hayes was benched when he slowed the game. Quinn prefers the guys that are always moving straight - McLeod, Howden, now Nieves is doing it. Hayes is doing it more, Namestnikov as well. Even Chytil moved up the lineup when he stopped relying on possession and worried more about skating North-South. It might be nitpicking, but if this is what Quinn is basing decisions on, it doesnt make sense to keep ADA

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    https://nypost.com/2019/02/01/what-b...t-david-quinn/

But something occurred early in the second period of Tuesday’s 1-0 defeat to the Flyers that prompted the first-year coach to sit DeAngelo for a long stretch before going back to No. 77 for his regular shifts during the third. Again, it was not a bad read, an inexplicable giveaway, an undisciplined penalty or anything that would have been noticeable by reviewing the video. It was something else, something behavioral that crossed a line.

“It was a maturity issue,” Quinn told The Post. “He and I have talked about it and are working on it. He’s too good to let maturity issues get in the way of him becoming the kind of player that he can be.

“It’s something he’s got to work on and it’s something we’ve got to help him with.”

Over their six games intact, Staal-DeAngelo recorded a 58.0 Corsi share, a 57.5 shot share and a plus-two rating in 78:49 of five-on-five play. In the six games prior to that, Staal-Pionk came in at a 41.0 Corsi, a 41.1 shot share and a minus-four in 74:43, per Naturalstattrick.com.

What’s more, prior to Thursday’s reasonably sturdy work, the Staal-Pionk pair had the worst Corsi rating — 41.2 — in the NHL of any tandem that had played at least 500 minutes, per Corsica.Hockey. Yet, Quinn reunited No.’s 18 and 44 because there was a lesson to be taught No. 77. And by the way, that did not stop the Rangers from dominating at five-on-five in this one.
    lol

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pionk is just a terrible defenseman.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234