Thread: Rangers Need Young Players to be More Than Just Prospects

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

Rangers Need Young Players to be More Than Just Prospects

I know. Patience is the byword. And I believe in it. I believe it is going to take time for the young guns — not one of them a top-five pick — to develop, and I believe in not placing undue expectations and pressure on even the best and the brightest in the pipeline. But once in a while, or maybe even just once, wouldn’t you like to see one of the Yoots burst onto the big stage and unexpectedly claim it?

Just once, could a Daniel Goneau not score eight goals in his first 15 games and then four in 38 over the rest of his NHL career, but instead score eight goals every 15 games of his career, at least maybe for a few years? Just once, couldn’t a Rangers kid just sprint out of the starting blocks instead of being wrapped in the perspective of patience?

This is not, of course, meant to disparage Lindgren, the U of Minnesota lefty who brings calling cards of fiber, character and leadership with him to Broadway. The Rangers are losing nearly every puck battle they manage to create. They are hemorrhaging goals against, having yielded 34 while going 1-6 in their last seven matches and having surrendered four or more in 15 of their 23 contests since Thanksgiving (five or more, eight times!) while going 6-12-5. So the time might be right for the two-time member of the USA World Junior squad who has played well through his first pro season.

The B&D Program (Build & Develop; what else?) is well underway on Broadway and that is unambiguously good news. But devising and even carrying through the strategy were always going to be the easy parts of this necessary reboot following a half-dozen years in which the future was sacrificed in order to try to put a consistently very good team over the top. The tough parts are, A) Choosing the correct young players; B) Developing them correctly; and, C) Did I mention, choosing the correct young players?

https://nypost.com/2019/01/15/ranger...site%20buttons
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I'm going to need to be reminded of this once a month.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Amen to the 'can't we just have a break-out success' once in a while?

We'll pay for Petr Prucha for all eternity.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Word.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Need to draft in the top 3 to give yourself a better chance. Flatly, they need to draft a franchise player and it has to happen in July.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    We'll pay for Petr Prucha for all eternity.
    How dare you.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

I wasn't complaining.

Greatest smile in Rangers history.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Prucha was 25 years old his rookie season, wasn’t he?

Prucha is still 25 years old.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

He’s played with Panarin before...

Whatever this idea is, in whatever incarnation, at whatever price. I'm fucking in.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Why didn’t they sign him if this is a rebuilding year??? THAT is the question.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Tsn Craig button just put out his top 50 nhl affiliated prospects. Number 1 is Kravtsov

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    This is Brooks' most cogent article of the year. In short, couldn't we be getting a bona fide breakthrough year from just one of the younger players? I'm surprised and heartened that Button has put Kratsov as No. 1. I'm not surprised or heartened by the fact that he dropped Andersson from 13 to 28 over the past year. It might be nice to see Hajek or Lindgren in the Top 50. I know, it's just one guy's arbitrary list, and various players not on this list will turn out to be studs, but I'll bet the majority of guys who eventually turn out to be studs in this age bracket are on this list now. And as for Vesey and Buchnevich, let's face it, most guys who turn out to be significant NHL players are past where they are by the second half of their third year in the league. As for history, Brooks mentioned the name Daniel Goneau, which we haven't thought about in years, but he could have mentioned any number of a long list of such names, which serves as a reminder that most prospects do not work out, most late First Round picks do not become stars, and neither do contenders' third best prospects, which they get Mr. Gorton to take in packages for current quality NHL players.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I’ve been saying it for a while now.. they need to move up in the draft. It won’t be cheap but if there’s an opportunity you need to take it. Lack of elite talent has been an issue here since 1994 (at least drafted talent). Or just lose on purpose. Or at least draft some guys with offensive upside instead of going the Anderson route.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division
    i so wanted them to try to trade up and get svechnikov last year.

i'm all for throwing the kitchen sink at a move up this year if the lottery gods will not shine on us, (they won't)
    Acqua in bocca