• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Buyer?s Market Could Hamper Rangers? Returns

Phil

During the ?Headlines? segment on Sportsnet?s Hockey Night in Canada this past Saturday, Elliotte Friedman noted that the market could very well tip in favor of buying teams given the sheer volume of clubs prepared to sell.

?I think there?s a lot of teams that have said they?re sellers and I think they?re worried that unless they have a real difference-maker they?re going to get stuck, because the buyers have the advantage in this market, and that?s rare,? Friedman noted, following Nick Kypreos? updated reports regarding Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Dougie Hamilton and forward Michael Ferland, both of whom have also entered an ever-growing trading mill.

...despite a less than desirable market for sellers, the Rangers remain in control of their own destiny. The only thing they need to do to make sure this doesn?t slip from their grip is to act before their competitors do. This requires that general manager Jeff Gorton not hold the line too long on any given deal if he?s made attractive offers for his players. This doesn?t mean he has to agree to the first offer made, but it does mean he should agree to the first (or second) serious one made.

Much like the Michael Grabner trade ? pulled off three days prior to last season?s deadline ? that saw the Rangers trade their then-leading scorer to one of their biggest divisional rivals, Gorton must be willing to accept a good deal when it?s offered to him, regardless of destination. The difference between this and being left out in the cold is, unfortunately, thinner than they?ve probably hoped it would be.

If that means entertaining the idea of Mats Zuccarello as a Pittsburgh Penguin, or Kevin Hayes as a member of the Carolina Hurricanes, so be it. As beggars can?t be choosers, neither can sellers be. Not in a buyer?s market.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/1/14/18181646/buyers-market-could-hamper-new-york-rangers-returns

This is where the rangers have to be careful and not give a player like Kreider a way cheaply ,or even HAyes, keep them if the deal isn't worth it

For Hayes, I'd say take what you can get. Might be a last minute deal but I can't imagine he wants to stick around a rebuilding team when he's in his prime years. Kreider, we'll have another year to trade for assets. But Hayes offers us nothing beyond the trade deadline.

Oh they will. Some will be seething.

But realistically he’ll get a 1st and a prospect, which is a good return for a rental.

I would be thrilled with a first for hayes. The prospect would be icing.

Im hoping Gorton isnt waiting for the deadline either, the sooner you move guys the sooner the rangers start to play worst (at least I think they will)

Rangers have had scouts at Colorado games as per Joe Fortunato

Shane Bowers( was coach by Quinn for 1 yr at BU) could be the guy we?re looking at since Colorado does not want to give up Makar or the 1st Rd pick. Kaut is another name that has come up played with Chytil on the Czech team.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Two things seem likely: first, this will go down to the wire like last year when the TB trade was done in the last five minutes; second, returns are not going to be that great and lesser than they have been in the past. I don't think you would get for a guy like Nash what we got for him last year. BTW, McQuaid seems like the archetype of what a contender would like to have in advance of the inevitable decimation of a defense during a cup run. He's the one guy who might bring a little more than expected.

Archived