• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Craig Brewer To Direct Eddie Murphy In ?Coming To America 2? For Paramount

Phil

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures is setting Craig Brewer to direct Coming To America 2, finally bringing to the starting gate the sequel to the 1988 blockbuster comedy. Eddie Murphy is poised to reprise his role as Akeem, the pampered African prince who became bored of potential marriage partners in the kingdom too in awe of him, and who traveled to Queens to go undercover and find a woman with a strong will that he could respect.

Brewer just directed Murphy in Dolemite Is My Name, and the star was eager to work with him again. The female empowerment theme of the original seems timely in today?s climate.

Kenya Barris is rewriting a script by original Coming to America writers Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield. Murphy is producing with Kevin Misher and Barris is exec producer.

In the sequel, Akeem learns about a long lost son, and must return to America to meet his unlikely heir to the throne of Zamunda. The intention is to bring back the original cast which includes Arsenio Hall, who played the prince?s aide Semmi; Shari Headley, who was courted by the prince when he went undercover as a fast food worker; John Amos, who played her father; and James Earl Jones, who played the king.

There is no start date, but the hope is that production begins in 2019.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/craig-brewer-direct-eddie-murphy-194121582.html

Good to see Eddie getting out more. Anybody around here listen to Howard Stern? The interview he did with Snoop explored Eddie's disappearance from public view. Snoop said there is a degree of insecurity Eddie is dealing with from the pressure of all his success. I would not have thought that having watched Eddie's persona evolve over time - he always looked so confident and in control. Murphy can say some seriously funny stuff. :rofl:

Eh.. I am not saying its going to be bad but are sequels ever really that good? Especially ones that come out 30 years later? Just let it be. I'd much rather see them come out with something new.

The first is a classic and part of it was filmed right down the block from where I grew up (McDowells was actually the Wendys in my neighborhood and is no longer there) so I always loved watching it growing up.

• 1 year later...

Donations donation! I though it was a trash can!

So many amazing quotes in that movie.

Prince Akeem:

I am Akeem.

Lisa McDowell:

It's nice to meet you, Akeem.

Prince Akeem:

I have recently been placed in charge of garbage. Do you have any that needs to be disposed of?

Lisa McDowell:

No. It's totally empty.

Prince Akeem:

When it fills up, call me. I will take it out most urgently.

Lisa McDowell:

That's good to know.

Prince Akeem:

When you think of garbage, think of Akeem.

Landlord:

All right, here we are. There's only one bathroom on this floor, so you're going to have to share it. We got an insect problem, but you boys from Africa are used to that. And another thing, don't use the elevator. It's a death trap. This is the place I was telling you about. It's real f***ed up. Got just one window facing a brick wall. Used to rent it to a blind man... damn shame what they did to that dog.

Donations donation! I though it was a trash can!

So many amazing quotes in that movie.

Prince Akeem:

I am Akeem.

Lisa McDowell:

It's nice to meet you, Akeem.

Prince Akeem:

I have recently been placed in charge of garbage. Do you have any that needs to be disposed of?

Lisa McDowell:

No. It's totally empty.

Prince Akeem:

When it fills up, call me. I will take it out most urgently.

Lisa McDowell:

That's good to know.

Prince Akeem:

When you think of garbage, think of Akeem.

Landlord:

All right, here we are. There's only one bathroom on this floor, so you're going to have to share it. We got an insect problem, but you boys from Africa are used to that. And another thing, don't use the elevator. It's a death trap. This is the place I was telling you about. It's real f***ed up. Got just one window facing a brick wall. Used to rent it to a blind man... damn shame what they did to that dog.

The scenes at MSG makes me giggle every time