Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-9 NHL Trade Deadline: Sell 'em All... Again!

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    Zuccs is trash this season. Think the team played better when he was out hurt. Looks like they waited 1 season too long in trading him.
    I think they tried to move him last season and ran out of time. It’s too bad because I feel like he’s becoming a really negative influence.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I don't think it's that cut and dry for the Aves at all. The pick could be #10 as easily as #1. And then they have to make a good pick. What are the chances the pick is Kreider AND Hayes in one? How long does it take for that pick to develop? They have arguably the best 1st line in the league. They are missing depth. Adding Hayes and Krieder, two high quality known comodities, would make them one of the toughest teams in the West to beat. I don't think its that crazy. If Taylor Hall can be traded for Adam Larson, an unknown draft pick can be traded for Hayes and Kreider.
    They lack depth in both forwards and D, and they lack the necessary goaltending. Hayes and Kreider certainly improves them, but not nearly enough. Hayes is a UFA and there are no guarantees he resigns. Are you really going to trade a potential top 3 pick for a good but not great winger and a rental in a season where all planets and stars would have to align to even get near the cup? Absolutely not. It would be insanity.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 01-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.

I live in the mountain west. I watch the Aves a lot. A winger on pace for 40 goals and a center on pace for 70 points absolutely makes them strong contenders to represent the west. Not only does it give them an actual second line that can score, it makes them harder for the opponent to match up against, improves their overall team D, Hayes most certainly improves their 27th ranked PK. Thay can have McQuaid for D depth too. They probably have a better shot at resigning Hayes than they do of drafting Jack Hughes, so the might as well trade for Kreider and Hayes instead of drafting Tyson Jost again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Completely different set of circumstances. Plus he would still be keeping Colorado's 1st. We traded 1st round picks 4 years in a row!
    Agreed it’s a different set of circumstances. What’s the same is though, is that both our pick and Ottawa’s are going to be top 3-5 chance at a top 3 pick. If Colorado ever gets their hand on Hughes, they have a scary team for years to come and with Hughes carting a elc for the first three in which they could then go out and get all the Kreisler and Hayes they need. In the cap era those top guys you refer are getting paid raantanen this summer, MacKinnon next summer. Hayes is a ufa and kreider is s year away. That trade doesn’t evelvate them ahead of Nashville, Calgary, or Winnipeg. No way he’s trading that pick for 2 months of Hayes and an extra year of kreider.

If you were Salic and willing to move that pick wouldn’t, panarin be a better move. How about benn or Seguin? That pick and Jost for Seguin? He’s signed for seven more years. MacKinnon and Seguin sounds better to me than Hayes and kreider.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    I live in the mountain west. I watch the Aves a lot. A winger on pace for 40 goals and a center on pace for 70 points absolutely makes them strong contenders to represent the west. Not only does it give them an actual second line that can score, it makes them harder for the opponent to match up against, improves their overall team D, Hayes most certainly improves their 27th ranked PK. Thay can have McQuaid for D depth too. They probably have a better shot at resigning Hayes than they do of drafting Jack Hughes, so the might as well trade for Kreider and Hayes instead of drafting Tyson Jost again.
    They’re not winning the cup this year in a month of Sundays, so trading a potential top 3 pick for a couple of ok players would be the mother of short termism in my humble opinion.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect

2018-9 NHL Trade Deadline: Sell 'em All... Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    They’re not winning the cup this year in a month of Sundays, so trading a potential top 3 pick for a couple of ok players would be the mother of short termism in my humble opinion.
    I don’t think they entertain the idea either, but I hope they’re that stupid

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Hayes is the only "veteran" on this entire roster I'd possibly choose to hold onto (if he wants to stay). His value to a team could not have been spelled out better than this recent stretch they have had to play without him. It is ugly. Everyone can go, and I mean everyone. Zibanejad and Kreider included - both of whom would get back a great return.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I'm coming around to trading Zib and signing Hayes, but it ain't gonna happen. Hayes is a gonner.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'm coming around to trading Zib and signing Hayes, but it ain't gonna happen. Hayes is a gonner.
    That would be self defeating, wouldn't it?

Yeah Hayes is gone.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s being kept out of the lineup for that very reason. No sense risking anything with an asset that will be moved in the near future.

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Yeah Hayes is gone.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s being kept out of the lineup for that very reason. No sense risking anything with an asset that will be moved in the near future.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    During the 2nd Intermission of the B's/Leafs game, the panel said its a buyers market this year.
    So I guess the Rangers won't get as much in return compared to last year.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    During the 2nd Intermission of the B's/Leafs game, the panel said its a buyers market this year.
    So I guess the Rangers won't get as much in return compared to last year.
    It would be stupid for teams like buffalo, Carolina or Colorado to trade picks and prospects when they are taking the first big step. None of the bubble teams will be able to compete with the tops teams, most likely.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I think it's just time to scrap this entire team and start over with no players. They all suck!

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    It would be stupid for teams like buffalo, Carolina or Colorado to trade picks and prospects when they are taking the first big step. None of the bubble teams will be able to compete with the tops teams, most likely.
    I disagree with this. Carolina hasn't been in the post-season in 9 years, Buffalo in 7. They both currently sit outside the playoff bubble. They haven't taken the first big step yet and they need to, because teams don't often just walk into the playoffs and win it all, it takes years of playoff losing before winning a Cup. They both need to get in, so they can start that process.

Colorado hasn't won a playoff round in a decade and only made the playoffs twice over that span. They are on the inside of the bubble right now, but by just a single point over two other teams.

There's moving assets to have a better chance of winning it all and there is moving assets to improve your chance of gaining valuable playoff experience. I can see all three teams finding value in rentals for the second reason.

That said, no way Colorado moves Ottawa's first-round pick to do that, they'd move their own.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I disagree with this. Carolina hasn't been in the post-season in 9 years, Buffalo in 7. They both currently sit outside the playoff bubble. They haven't taken the first big step yet and they need to, because teams don't often just walk into the playoffs and win it all, it takes years of playoff losing before winning a Cup. They both need to get in, so they can start that process.

Colorado hasn't won a playoff round in a decade and only made the playoffs twice over that span. They are on the inside of the bubble right now, but by just a single point over two other teams.

There's moving assets to have a better chance of winning it all and there is moving assets to improve your chance of gaining valuable playoff experience. I can see all three teams finding value in rentals for the second reason.

That said, no way Colorado moves Ottawa's first-round pick to do that, they'd move their own.
    Not at the expense of a first round pick, which was the discussion.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Junior Division
    I mean, you can trade for players and then sign them.

Someone like Silvferberg would be a good piece, long term, for Buffalo...not to mention Kreider and Hayes.

In a weaker draft, this is the year you'd want to trade picks for pieces. Even if it doesn't put you over the top this year, it might for next year.

Is this draft that weak? Everything I’ve seen is that it’s weak on defenseman but stocked at forward. The top 5 especially is loaded. Just curious who says it’s a weak draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Is this draft that weak? Everything I’ve seen is that it’s weak on defenseman but stocked at forward. The top 5 especially is loaded. Just curious who says it’s a weak draft.
    The picks we are talking about are in the 15-20 range. Teams that will just make or just miss the playoffs.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Not at the expense of a first round pick, which was the discussion.
    I'd bet that Carolina and Buffalo specifically would give up their first-round pick in the draft for a guarantee of making the playoffs this year. And they should. Two franchises that have been bad for a long time, have reaped the prospect benefits repeatedly for that, and need to start winning and gaining playoff experience if they're ever going to become legitimate contenders.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast