Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Athletic

Senior Member Mite Division LeetchFan's Avatar
    I think the guy covering the Rangers does an OK job....he's not a MUST-READ like Larry Brooks but he's got some good insight. The analytics pieces are good.

Carp's stuff is fantastic, as usual, and he interacts with his readers which was always his strength.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LeetchFan View Post
    I think the guy covering the Rangers does an OK job....he's not a MUST-READ like Larry Brooks but he's got some good insight. The analytics pieces are good.

Carp's stuff is fantastic, as usual, and he interacts with his readers which was always his strength.
    ???? Carp is the guy in The Athletic that covers the Rangers.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I enjoy Carp more than Brooks.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I miss Sam Weinman when he used to cover the Rangers

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    ???? Carp is the guy in The Athletic that covers the Rangers.
    Yea - and Shayna Goldstein or whatever her name is.

The Rangers coverage on The Athletic isn't nearly as good as it is for other teams across sports.

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    I am really liking the broader NHL coverage, such as LeBrun's article yesterday on the example of the four final teams and the need for cap balance (no player left who makes more than $8m??) Scott Wheeler did a good, long piece on what goes into the draft ratings which I liked. There have been a lot like that over the past few months. But it's also great when you want a quick line on a Ranger game from the other team's perspective.

Carp is still there for geezers like me and others who had cleared kindergarten in 1994. He whips out obscure historical references that I get and he was around for - sometimes closer to 1972 than 1992 - and has a pretty deep understanding of the organization. Shayna delivers the numbers in a fairly formatted, predictable fashion and I think that makes them a good tandem. I can get more of the personalities and the sweat and stink of the room from Carp, but sometimes more actual information from Shayna. To his credit, Carp beat Brooks to definitively saying that JD was coming. I got the sense that they worked together in the day and he just called him, but don't know that for sure or whether he will have any better long term line into the nerve center than Brooksie. But could be interesting going forward.

I actually think Carp is a lot better at the Atlantic than he was on the beat before. I think the added words allow him to add some of that color and those references.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Brooks gives the same ole schpeal

Carp pretends he’s got insight

Shayna has numbers but no substance or insight

Their best beat writer is Collin and he doesn’t know a thing about hockey

Rangers bloggers circle-jerk eachother on the same WRONG opinions

It’s a rough era for rangers fans.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    It seems to be easier to get ex-players, coaches, or others with deep hockey knowledge to go in front of a camera and talk (a la NHL Network) than to get them to write for publications. Seems like broadcasters are more likely to come from the game, while beat writers either come from journalism school or learning on the job and rising through the ranks. It's definitely a different craft. Josh, who are a couple of your favorite hockey beat writers (Phil excluded) and what makes them so?

On the baseball side, the Athletic has Jim Bowden (ex-GM) and Dale Murphy (borderline Hall of Famer), but they don't report on a team day in and day out.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

The problem with beat writers is that their entire job can be done by freshmen (game reports) and teams' PR (NYR Twitter). The function of being a beat writer, today, is totally irrelevant.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    No one, these days. I need behind the scenes stuff, or good dirt. Brooks is the only guy putting that out, but he always uses it to skew some random personal vendetta against a player. I don't need a summary of last nights game, or random guess as to why some basement blogger thinks Staal was benched in the 2nd period because of a blue graph the found on google images.

I miss the old days of Zipay, Cerny, Gross, Dellapina, Spector

League wide I stick to Kevin Allen or the TSN guys.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    No one, these days. I need behind the scenes stuff, or good dirt. Brooks is the only guy putting that out, but he always uses it to skew some random personal vendetta against a player. I don't need a summary of last nights game, or random guess as to why some basement blogger thinks Staal was benched in the 2nd period because of a blue graph the found on google images.

I miss the old days of Zipay, Cerny, Gross, Dellapina, Spector

League wide I stick to Kevin Allen or the TSN guys.
    I agree with this entire post. There are no insiders left reporting, and very few who just report on the facts, and thats in all sports. The days of good sports journalism are gone, and thats because today, nothing is a secret.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12