• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Decide Price For Shipping Out Hayes

Phil

Does the inexorable, post-Thanksgiving 5-8-5 slide have an impact on the status of Kevin Hayes? Wait. Let?s rephrase. How much of an impact does the slide have on management?s decision whether to trade or extend the impending free agent? It does not bode especially well for the ?sign Hayes? camp that the team, A) has been deficient during his ascendancy and, B) seems in for a full-length, no-shortcuts rebuild.

The suspicion in July, when the current one-year deal was announced, was that both sides implicitly understood this was going to be a one-and-done in which the Rangers used Hayes to enhance his value on the trade market and Hayes used the Rangers to enhance his value on the free-agent market. It has resulted in a beautiful friendship.

Hayes has soared while taking significant steps for a third straight season. He has been the team?s most multi-faceted, complete and dangerous five-on-five player. He and Marc Staal are the lone players to exceed expectations each of the past two years. In doing so, Hayes has established a market that is probably too rich for general manager Jeff Gorton not to explore fully.

Hayes may have positioned himself as the top rental on the market. It is unclear what that would yield, though the standard late first-rounder plus a reasonable prospect does not seem nearly enough. Draft choices may be currency at the deadline, but acquiring teams are not seeking to subtract from their NHL rosters. So, no, the Jets are not likely to sacrifice Jacob Trouba for a rental piece.

Ideally, the Rangers would be able to pick up a non-playoff team?s first-rounder plus a young player who could play in the NHL next season as either a top-nine forward or top-four defenseman, perhaps plus another pick or player if there is enough interest. Carolina is desperate for help up front, may miss the playoffs and has depth on defense through the organization that includes the rights to Harvard righty ?D? Adam Fox.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/05/rangers-must-decide-price-for-shipping-out-kevin-hayes/

Hate to say it but looks like we should trade him if the haul is 1st/NHLer/prospect.

Has there been a more attractive rental in recent memory? How many teams trade their best player pacing 70 points?

That said, not sure why we don't handshake on a trade and re-sign.

Hate to say it but looks like we should trade him if the haul is 1st/NHLer/prospect.

Has there been a more attractive rental in recent memory? How many teams trade their best player pacing 70 points?

Does the trade / resign happen often?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I mean, I would, but it happens almost never in hockey. There are like three examples in what, the last 15 years?

I don't see the full value anywhere. It's almost a certainty that a 3rd team will need to be involved to extract full price.

I don't want a 26th pick for Hayes. I don't want Eli Tolvanen, either.

I'd be floating Kreider to Nashville for a Fabbro-centered package and then Hayes to a team that can use him and has additional assets to spare. If that's Winnipeg, Calgary, Carolina, whomever. So be it. I'm fine with the 26th pick for Hayes... if it's accompanied by a high-end prospect and an NHL-ready player. Basically, think the Nash deal as a general framework, except get better prospects than Lindgren and a better NHL player than Spooner and Beleskey.

I mean, I would, but it happens almost never in hockey. There are like three examples in what, the last 15 years?
I know. Don't know why. If Hayes really loves NY, he can go try to win elsewhere and just come back.

But if Denver gets him will never see him again.

I'd be floating Kreider to Nashville for a Fabbro-centered package and then Hayes to a team that can use him and has additional assets to spare. If that's Winnipeg, Calgary, Carolina, whomever. So be it. I'm fine with the 26th pick for Hayes... if it's accompanied by a high-end prospect and an NHL-ready player. Basically, think the Nash deal as a general framework, except get better prospects than Lindgren and a better NHL player than Spooner and Beleskey.

I dunno...a guy on pace for 40 goals is something you need to hang onto with goal scoring at such a premium. Looks like Kreider is really becoming a force.

Re sign and trade does not work because although the old contract without the NMC is still in force until June, any player signing that contract is going to have an understanding that you aren't trading him through June. It would not be in your long term interest to screw such a player. Moreover, who is going to acquire the player, knowing that he is furious that he will now be locked in long term with a team not of his choosing when he could have gone UFA? The way this is always handled now is if the acquiring team re signs him, they give some more value later, typically an additional high pick. We might get an additional No. 28 pick, with its attendant one in ten chance that it turns out to be a player as good as Hayes, if he signs with team to whom he is traded. Goody goody. Unloading our best skaters and getting No. 28 picks and a a team's third best prospect in return is no way to return to contention. Our emphasis should not be deadline deals, where you can only deal with a limited number of teams and get a limited type of commodity in return.

I dunno...a guy on pace for 40 goals is something you need to hang onto with goal scoring at such a premium. Looks like Kreider is really becoming a force.

I mean, maybe, but the Rangers are really bad. What are the odds he's still this player by the time they're ready to contend again?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I mean, maybe, but the Rangers are really bad. What are the odds he's still this player by the time they're ready to contend again?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Low.

I would trade just about anyone right now, including popular guys like Kreider and Zibanejad. For some reason though, I'm having trouble shipping Hayes out at the moment. He has really changed my mind about him this season. I've been back and forth numerous times, and honestly I bet Gorton has been too. It's a very difficult decision. He could be a force for the next 6-7 years, which is long enough to be a force when this team is good again (even if it is, say, 3-4 years).

I would be calling the Avs for Ottawa's 1st every day if I were Gorton. I'd trade half the roster for the opportunity to have potentially two top 5 picks.
There's no way they'd trade that pick. Wouldn't make any sense at all.

Why not? They're not rebuilding anymore, they're legit. They're in need of talent. As you said, they could probably sign Hayes lol
Why would you move that pick, keep Hayes, when you have a great shot at a top 3 pick that could help you for 10 years.

Colorado has one good line. They can potentially add to their forward corp Hughes or Kakko for nothing and on ELCs.

They can likely just trade their own first rounder and get a quality player if they're adding at the deadline.

Why would you move that pick, keep Hayes, when you have a great shot at a top 3 pick that could help you for 10 years.

Colorado has one good line. They can potentially add to their forward corp Hughes or Kakko for nothing and on ELCs.

They can likely just trade their own first rounder and get a quality player if they're adding at the deadline.

At like ten percent of the cost for the first three years no less.

Archived